War and Peace- A City-State Diplomatic Overhaul v. 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazebo

Lord of the Community Patch
Supporter
New Version

War and Peace- A City-State Diplomacy Overhaul Mod v. 3.5

3.5 is here! See posts below for details and downloads.

Modbrowser now working- it was the character limit for the description that was causing the problem. Look for 'City State Diplomacy' v.3.5!

Alternate Download Link for 3.5
https://files.me.com/jgrooms86/cbwdc9

Good job, i long await the day when the AI can understand how to use mods like this, so we can get rid of the Gold Gifting for good, so the AI cant grow their cities to size 10 and beyond with not a single farm in their entire empire, paying for the food with trade posts for gold gifting the maritime city states >_>

Indeed– I will be working over the weekend on the flavors and the UNITAI functionality to see if I can't teach this AI a thing or two about GAMEPLAY.

Or I'll fail miserably and hurt someone. Either way, it'll be a fun weekend of code-hunting.

Look for v. 3.0 to come out soon (with more shiny!)

-G

A promising start to a new mod. Questions!

What are the differences between messengers, diplomats, and ambassadors?
How much influence is conferred by each visit to a city state? Are there diminishing returns?
Giving your diplomats extra utility,
Could they be used to trigger city state quests?
Could we devise quests that only they can complete?
Could they could be sent to rival civilizations, improving relations by, say, 1 point?

I can't mod (yet), I can't play Civ (out of frustration), but I can brainstorm :)

What are the differences between messengers, diplomats, and ambassadors? How much influence is conferred by each visit to a city state? Are there diminishing returns?

Different technologies unlock different units. Messengers are unlocked with writing and have a movement speed of 3 (ignoring terrain movement penalties). Diplomats are unlocked with the printing press and have a movement speed of 5 (ignoring terrain) and Ambassadors (unlocked via Telegraphy) a movement speed of 7.

They all grant 50 influence when you conduct a 'trade mission' (using the same game mechanic as great merchants, minus the gold gained), the difference being their speed of movement.

This decision was twofold: 1.) I don't want players to avoid technologies because they can spam older (and cheaper) units like the messenger late game and 2.) higher movement speeds roughly represents the increasing speed of communication in the post-printing press world. If 7 seems like a lot of movement, it is – but it makes communication seem fast!

All units are 'captureable' by barbarians and rival players and remain as Messengers/Diplomats/Ambassadors (i.e. you can capture them back).

Each new unit replaces its obsolete predecessor (i.e. you go from Messengers-->Diplomats-->Ambassadors during the game).

All units and buildings have 'unique' models (mashups of other units, like settlers), artwork and icons.

Could they be used to trigger city state quests?
Could we devise quests that only they can complete?
Could they could be sent to rival civilizations, improving relations by, say, 1 point?

These are things which I hope (eventually) to add in once I learn how to manipulate the AI, especially the first one. I'm not sure how to do the last one because I'm not sure how to code it in (as there is no 'gift unit' option for rival civs, only city-states).

This seems like a great concept!

One other idea I would like to see is being able to spend culture to gain influence with a city state. Similar to a gift of gold, but it makes sense that culture could be as influential or more so than gold.

Looks like a great idea!

I would like to give more abilities to Great People. Great Artists should be able to give an enormous boost to the relationship.

Greetings Civfanatics!

Today I am happy to announce War & Peace– A City-State Diplomacy Overhaul v.3.0! I've been busy working on the mod this past week and have some fun things to share.

New Additions:

Spoiler :
-The AI now knows how to use the new diplomacy system! I have trained them to use all the new units and buildings and, importantly, to favor close city-states over long-distance ones.

-I have removed supply wagons and replaced them with 'healers,' giving them a new unit and portrait set.

-I have made tweaks to Diplomacy AI and City-State AI to compensate for the new diplomacy system (it turns out that city-states were using the gifts of gold to buy units...so I had to up their productivity to compensate)

-I have added a new policy, Freemasonry, to replace Philanthropy in the Patronage tree (+25% production to diplomatic units)

-I have changed the portraits and icons for all units to make them more unique and to preserve the art-style of the game (not perfect, but better than before)

-The option to 'gift gold' is removed from city-state menus, so no cheating! The AI no longer gifts gold as well, so you are even!

Notes: The strategic view icons for barbarians and civilian units are still incorrect– I am looking for a solution.

Other Notes: The AI isn't perfect– occasionally it will build a diplomatic unit and then leave it idle for a few turns before sending it on a mission. This, I imagine, is due to the fact that it uses the MerchantAI– it is 'rolling' to see if it will build a building, enter a golden age or go on a trade mission. Since the golden age and the building are disabled, it rolls until it reaches a trade mission (thus it might be idle for a few turns). If anyone knows how to tweak this dice roll, let me know.

Look for 3.0 on Civfanatics, the ModBrowser and my own download page by this afternoon!

-Gazebo

Now this is an excellent mod idea ... :goodjob:

Quick question if I may .. how do I get the game to recognize the *.civ5mod file as it stands alone w/o a supporting filke structure ?

Thanks ...

Now this is an excellent mod idea ... :goodjob:

Quick question if I may .. how do I get the game to recognize the *.civ5mod file as it stands alone w/o a supporting filke structure ?

Thanks ...

Just checked the files- seems okay to me.
You should be able to just place it in your Civ5/MODS folder in your My Games folder in your documents.

G

Moderator Action: Closed due to request of the thread starter. Watch out for the next iteration ;). The_J
Edit: Next iteration is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom