Civ5 for Mac Available Soon?

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
MacRumors has reported that according to "reliable word," a Mac version of Civ5 is to be released "likely in the coming weeks". This would be a major contrast to the Mac release of Civ4, which trailed the PC version by roughly 8 months.

We will keep an eye out for any sort of confirmation.

Thanks to CivOtaku for the news tip!

I'd think it'll just be through Steam and I'd be surprised if you had to buy it twice, i.e. once for windows and once for os x. Well that's what I'm hoping as I've already bought it...

I'd think it'll just be through Steam and I'd be surprised if you had to buy it twice, i.e. once for windows and once for os x. Well that's what I'm hoping as I've already bought it...

I'm guessing it will be required to be bought twice, though I'm hoping not. I dislike booting up my Windows partition to play Civ V, so if my SGs and the HOF Mod (when its released) work on the Mac side then I'll buy Civ V again.

I'm just going off what has happened recently in Steam with one Civ IV purchase counting for both platforms via the Steam Play feature. I'm just guessing when I say this but I think it's an awful lot easier for Steam to deploy xplatform games like this, the fact it's a great deal for customers is a bonus.

I'm not holding my breath over this. So far Fraxis has given no official release so its safe to assume that it won't be until new years. But i can wait that long because there are still a lot of bug fixes.

Mac is horrible for gaming, come on. The only single advantage to Civ 5 on a Mac would be its processing power. But you can't top DirectX.

Mac is horrible for gaming, come on. The only single advantage to Civ 5 on a Mac would be its processing power. But you can't top DirectX.

That's your opinion and note, with Steam for Mac now available it seems odd that they wouldn't release Civ V for Mac.

Moderator Action: Also, this thread is not going to turn into a Mac vs. PC war. If you all start it, I'll finish it.

I run on a Mac and currently have Civ5 running in a Windows7 partition under Parallels. It mostly works, but does suffer quite a few unexplained serious crashes. I never went to the Mac version of Civ4 because there were few good scenarios for it. I'd love to run Civ5 native on the Mac, but not if it's just to play the base game without good scenarios (and not if I have to pay twice).

As a precaution, I'd make sure that I have Snow Leopard running, before I download any Mac version of ciV. Recently, Left 4 Dead 2 was released for the Mac, and I found out that it requires Snow Leopard -- after I had downloaded 11 GB of game files. I wasn't happy.

Top Bottom