Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION III > Civ3 - Democracy and Team Games

Old Oct 14, 2010, 07:02 AM   #1
justanick
Chieftain

Continent Map - Are restrictions on tribes needed in this case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyc View Post
Restrictions being applied on both types of Tribes is the winner here. A close race.
Yeah, damn close.
A continentmap of size 80x80 at 70% Water would have roundabout 960 landtitles. A 100x100 map with 80% Water would habe 1000 landtitles, at 90x90 it would be 810 landtitles. This would be my personal favorite decision in case of continents. There would be less landtitles than in german DG5, which seemed towards me to be a bit to much landtitles(70% water at 80x70). But it would be more land than in DG4(70% water at 70x70).
The distance between continents would be relativly great cause of more water. This may handicap both agricultural civs and those with AA UU. So a restriction through ruleset may be unnessary. How do you think about this? Is it a valuable option, or do i simply spin?
justanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 07:24 AM   #2
Gabelbart
Chieftain

As I voted for archipelago i did so as to avoid early war (warrior rush eg). But I did NOT want a great distance between continents. Trade between continents via harbour should be possible to increase value of diplomatic action.
I think we should not resolve poll results. No agricultural and no antic UU is fixed.
Gabelbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 07:37 AM   #3
Cyc
Looking for the door...

I believe you should be using 60% water. On small and tiny maps Agriculture based Tribes have the same advantage as on larger maps. More water is not needed. If it was we could call the game Sea Battles. A lot of people voted for the Pangaea. Let's go with more land, not more water. Comparing your optimal choice to past DGs of CivForums makes no difference to CFCers. We are not familiar at all with your games. As I said earlier, using island sized Continents separated by vast oceans will not handicap the Agri Tribes. They will have the groth advantage, regardless of where they start. On the map you describe, the Netherlands would have an extreme advantage.

It is probable that the 4 Tribes will be grouped two and two on different Continents. The reasons for restricting Tribes with AA UUs was justified earlier. Separating Continents by vast amounts of water would just mean early wars between the two grouped Tribes on each Continent, like programmed wars. Inevitable, planned and expected.

I will now post a poll on water content for the map. As CFC has chosen Continents, water content plays a more important part.
Cyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 08:52 AM   #4
I. Larkin
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabelbart View Post
As I voted for archipelago i did so as to avoid early war (warrior rush eg). But I did NOT want a great distance between continents. Trade between continents via harbour should be possible to increase value of diplomatic action.
I think we should not resolve poll results. No agricultural and no antic UU is fixed.
Support this idea. Trade and Diplomacy more intersting than plain war. No AA UU.
I. Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 06:37 PM   #5
EvilConqueror
Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanick View Post
The distance between continents would be relativly great cause of more water. This may handicap both agricultural civs and those with AA UU. So a restriction through ruleset may be unnessary. How do you think about this? Is it a valuable option, or do i simply spin?
Since there will likely be multiple teams on the same continent, I think it's still an issue.
EvilConqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 02:43 AM   #6
Lanzelot
Deity

I think we still need the restrictions. Agricultural is strong on any kind of map (provided there's fresh water), and especially on continents it is important that you don't share the same continent with the Celts or Iroquois...

But we should consider the idea that has already been suggested on Civforum: we could allow the "harmless" AA UU, like the Byzantine Dromon or the purely defensive UUs like the Greek Hoplite or the Carthaginian Mercenary.
Lanzelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 02:21 PM   #7
Sparthage
Fighting Tyranny

I agree with the harmless UUs. Also, a possible modification that I like to play my games with is that everyone can build Ancient Cavs if they have Iron and Horses. The SoZ still produces them though.
"TIS A LIE! THY BACKSIDE IS WHOLE AND UNGOBBLED, THOU UNGRATEFUL WHELP!"
Bottom Line of Sig Currently Being Renovated
Sparthage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 02:58 PM   #8
justanick
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparthage View Post
Also, a possible modification that I like to play my games with is that everyone can build Ancient Cavs if they have Iron and Horses.
Than their cost should be increased to 50 shields and may be upgraded to knights.
justanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Sparthage
Fighting Tyranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanick View Post
Than their cost should be increased to 50 shields and may be upgraded to knights.
1. Yep, I usually charge 50 for them.
2. Actually, I have Horsemen upgradable to them. They come in by discovering Horseback Riding.
"TIS A LIE! THY BACKSIDE IS WHOLE AND UNGOBBLED, THOU UNGRATEFUL WHELP!"
Bottom Line of Sig Currently Being Renovated
Sparthage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:28 AM   #10
Calis
on time

I'd say the additional hit point is not worth more than 5 shields (compared to the Gallic Swordmen). But by allowing them, everybody has his strong offensive AA unit. Is that good or bad?
ISDG team CFC - (lurking again)
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:14 AM   #11
I. Larkin
Deity

I vote against AC "for all". Game will have military flavour from very beginning. If you want AC build SoZ.
I. Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:37 PM   #12
Cyc
Looking for the door...

I'm with I. Larkin. If everyone had a great mobile swordsman at HBR in the real world, there would not have been any great empires. If everyone were equal there would not have been Babylon, or Rome, or Athens, or Compton....
Cyc is offline   Reply With Quote