Who Don't like Civ 5? Who would pay for another Civ 4 expansion pack?

Would you pay for another Civ 4 expansion pack?

• Total voters

KingYosef

Warlord
Seeing that Civ 5 has taken a step backwards in the series, who would pay for another Civ 4 expansion pack?

Seeing that Civ 5 has taken a step backwards in the series, who would pay for another Civ 4 expansion pack?

In a heart beat. If they cleaned up religion a bit, fixed esp, tweaked the graphics, and included some of the material from the kick..... I mean awesome mods, I'd even pay extra for it.

If they made an expansion pack that had improved graphics, hexes, limited strategic resources as well as some other nice additions then I definitely would buy it.

I think it's the least Firaxis could do to appease the hardcore fans and they'd still make a decent amount of money doing it in my opinion.

Sounds like a win/win situation to me.

Either have Firaxis make it themselves or license out the game engine to capable modders.

Paradox Interactive has done that with some of their older titles like Hearts of Iron II and EU II. They licensed out the game engine and modders made some truly wonderful expansions that you can buy. For the Glory for EU II is excellent. It makes the company and the modders some $$$ and you get a quality game.
I haven't played Hearts of Iron II Iron Cross but I've heard good things about it.

Leave Shafer 5 to the mass market/casual gamer/New to Civ from Civ Rev people.

Any self respecting fanatic would devour an expansion to any civ or civ-like game :)

And there are also individuals that believe Civilization 5 has taken a step forward in the series, and would conversely not pay for a Civilization 4 expansion pack.

What we really need is some improved technical aspects (multi-core support), ability to change leaders/maps easily, etc. and unhardcoding several other aspects of Civ4 (diplomacy, etc.)

That's what's needed more than just another expansion on top of the existing hardware.

Probably the same people crying about Civ 5's potential DLC despite them being the same thing with different titles.

What's with the micro-poll? Seriously? Necroing Civ IV? Really?

And there are also individuals that believe Civilization 5 has taken a step forward in the series, and would conversely not pay for a Civilization 4 expansion pack.

Ergo the poll!

there are also people who actually think that this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8F5YSA1Oz0 is good music. civ5 is somewhat similiar to brokencyde, some parts aren't bad at all, but in the mix it's just making people angry.

@topic: yes, i'd pay ofc if it's worth the money. on the other hand, i've heard firaxis sells nonsense DLCs for 4,99$ already (which will convert into 4,99€ LOL !!! ), so i doubt that i'd be worth the money. but IF i'd be worth the money, i'd buy it.

I would definitely buy another expansion for Civ4 unless it merely included Thormodr's suggestions. I don't see how it could be converted to hexes: I don't find eye candy necessary, nor does it add in any way to gameplay: limiting strategic resources would change gameplay beyond recognition. What I would like is the implementation of lots of the ideas put forward in the Civ4 forum (especially those I put forward myself, naturally).

Hexes are such a massive improvement that I don't see myself going back to CivIV.

Also, good riddance to the stacks of death.

This is kind of absurd.

Just sayin. :)

I'd like some clean up to the existing franchise and I'd like it to run better on my machine.

i voted yes... but i'm done paying for games
make a civ 4.5 and i will pirate it right away, tho.
but there are loads of mods that fill that niche already

i do like the idea about adding hexes and 1upt to cIV.
is that a mod somewhere? is it any good?

It's again a biased question in the middle of a debate between two firmly entrenched sides ... but I'll disregard that for a moment and simply answer the question. I voted "yes". It won't happen of course (for many reasons), but something that builds upon Civ4 would be nice.

However, I'd again be careful and check what's really in the package. I'm also a bit doubtful about the capabilities of the current team at Firaxis to design a game that I'd enjoy, a lot of the things that I do enjoy were Soren Johnson's design, and Soren is unfortunately not available any more.

Voted yes. From what I've seen the number one criticism that people have of cIV seems to be the old combat system. I understand that people may just be too traumatized by the sight of 100+ unit SoDs emerging from the fog in cIV (hey, I am too :cry:), but to be honest I'd prefer SoDs in all its glory over the Blob of Deaths or whatever they are called in ciV. The problem of massed "(type) of death" is very much alive and well in ciV, especially on the top two difficulty levels. :(

Seriously, I spent close to 100 turns (really 600 years of panzer general with cities) slaughtering enemy units in the continent of Africa on Immortal. I killed on average 2-3 units per turn, but they just kept on coming (for the first 50 turns or so of the war, enemy units occupied nearly each tile in the landmass :eek:). Even establishing a stable beachhead took a good 20 turns, and I had a modest tech lead..

Of course, continent games on Immortal/Deity is a whole different beast altogether. :nuke:

It's again a biased question in the middle of a debate between two firmly entrenched sides ...

Actually I think that's mostly down to the phrasing of the answers.

I see no problem with someone both liking/not minding CiV and still enjoying CivIV. They are two different games, much as some people would prefer they not be.

That's at odds with my previous statement, but that was just my opinion.

I think I would buy a IV.5/expansion that added V's Social Policies onto IV's government system (with some mallus added to SPs so that some limit the usefulness of government types).... Originally, I was thinking IV with hex, but I'm increasingly skeptical that hex/1upt can be made to work.

I'm just not sure what more there would really be to put in an expansion that modders haven't already done for free.

Top Bottom