Seed Number?

wollstonecraft

Chieftain
Hi,
I recently bought Civ 3 Complete off Steam and I have a question about the game set up.
What is Seed Number? It always defaults to 0. What other values are there, and what do those values do?

I played Civ 3 a lot years ago but this new thing has me :confused:
Thanks.

-WSCraft

The Seed Number is the map you're using; 0 just means random, IIRC. So basically, if you enter a Seed Number (say ... 5544, just for kicks), every game with that Seed will have the same tiles. I think.

Ahh.
I've been wondering if there was a way to replay the same map.
I'm gonna try that out.

-WSCraft

if you have Civ Assist II you can get the seed # for any map you are playing from the [World map] menu and then right click to see [properties]

Just a comment about seeds etc., to get exactly the same map the climate settings all need to be the same, and to get the same start locations any seafaring civs have to occupy the same slots on the roster (random civs can cause some funny business here).

aren't different climate, etc. settings generate different seed numbers?

Nope, you can test it yourself in Civ3 Conquests Edit. Under the Map menu button, choose Generate Map, and make sure to check the box by the seed, and put in a seed you can remember. Look at the minimap, generate a new map with a setting changed (and make sure to re-check the box by the seed), and you'll get a different map. Sometimes the outline of the land will be the same, but the terrains will be different. But that's all done with the same seed.

When I loaded a seed number, all those choices were already made for me. Obviously, if you change settings you have altered the parameters.

Top Bottom