Best National Anthem?

Ajidica

High Quality Person
Title says it all. What country do you believe has the best sounding national anthem? The country does not have to currently exist, and the anthem does not have to be its current anthem.

I'm forced to go with the USSR anthem. It gets stuck in your head and I've always had a soft spot for Russian music. The American anthem doesn't have the same 'gets stuck in your head' quality. Plus the music itself is based off of a British drinking song. Not the best pedigree.

Link to video.
And in English

Link to video.

That said, the French one does get bonus points for being in Casablanca and as bloody as it is. "We will spill the unholy blood of our enemies until it runs in the furrows of our fields."

this is like the 20th thread made with this same topic
I don't recall seeing any recently.

What was the name of the German song sung in Casablanca?

I'm kinda obliged to post this just to wind up the Unionists...

Link to video.

...But it's really the Soviet one. I mean, c'mon, is there really any question about that? Buggers knew how to write an anthem.

No contest. USSR anthem is just amazing.

USSR #1

It's clearly La Marseillaise.

It's clearly La Marseillaise.
Well, most pompous, certainly. :mischief:

At least Worst National Anthem is no competition...

Link to video.

Oh, goody, a "funeral dirge" begging a "non-specific deity to bail out these unelected spongers", while we're quoting Bill Bailey. Just what we need to inspire pride in this jaded, burned-out shell of a country. :rolleyes:

...But it's really the Soviet one. I mean, c'mon, is there really any question about that? Buggers knew how to write an anthem music.
Fixed for you.

EDIT: Is that honestly the real anthem of Kazakhstan? If it is, Traitorfish, I think the worst anthem in the world just found a competitor.

I'm kinda obliged to post this just to wind up the Unionists...

Link to video.

...But it's really the Soviet one. I mean, c'mon, is there really any question about that? Buggers knew how to write an anthem.
Pity that there's no England-bashing in it. No thoughts for 'Scots who hae'?
Well, most pompous, certainly. :mischief:

At least Worst National Anthem is no competition...

Link to video.

Oh, goody, a "funeral dirge" begging a "non-specific deity to bail out these unelected spongers", while we're quoting Bill Bailey. Just what we need to inspire pride in this jaded, burned-out shell of a country. :rolleyes:
I prefer the Sex Pistols version.

Pity that there's no England-bashing in it. No thoughts for 'Scots who hae'?
No England bashing? Who do you think was being sent "hameward, tae think again"? :p

I think "Scots Wha Hae" was an unofficial anthem in the past, but these days it's really between "Scotland the Brave" and "Flower of Scotland", and the latter seems to be winning; the former has a little too much of the Shortbread Tin about it. Anyway, the Scottish National Rugby Team adopted "Flower of Scotland in the '90s to replace "God Save the Queen", and the other teams followed suit, which is about the most official use you'll get out of it at the moment, so it's as good as.

(Edit: Wait, Takhisis is Scottish, isn't he? Why I am telling him stuff he already knows? :crazyeye:)

I prefer the Sex Pistols version.
:lol:

Oh there's so much cheesy selfserving communist "superioty" all over it.
Text.

Wouldn't be a national anthem without it. :D

EDIT: I'm listening to the anthem now, and it's not at all as I remember it. I must be confusing it with another East German song.

Top Bottom