Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - General Discussions

Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:14 PM   #101
MSGT John Drew
freight train lover

Even with this rants placeholder thread in place, I'm still seeing a lot of 'rants' threads out there.

Not that I'm surprised really. Though I do wonder how many pages THIS thread would be if all other rants were amalmagated into it.

There are those who'd question why rant at the ciV forums at all when you can just get back to cIV. Aah, because $60 is no laughing matter; because the graphical improvements are just too good to pass up (for me anyway - why play Arena when you have Oblivion? - why play sc1 when you've got starcraft 2?); and even if I'd never get a ciV start to mid/late game, I can never get over the promise of a good game though I know I'd never get one.
Has the planet gone mad? My brother, passion's hostage. I seek justice - denied! I shall not submit! I shall conquer! I shall rise! My name is Gomez Addams, and I have seen evil! I have seen horror! I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul! I have seen all this officer. But until today, I had never seen you! - AFV1993(c)
MSGT John Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:31 AM   #102
Atranox
Chieftain

My only rants about the game:

- I love 1UPT. Units are finally valuable. Positioning finally matters. However, the AI has absolutely no idea what it's doing. In the previous games, it was viable for the AI to send blobs around the map. Now that combat has a strategic focus, the AI is lacking greatly in terms of warfare. It's very easy to decimate the AI even when out-numbered. This is definitely a knock against the AI and not the concept of 1UPT.

- Multiplayer is terrible. No animations, no leaders, laggy, really long turns, tons of bugs, no manual save feature, lack of options, etc. It really, really needs some work.
Atranox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 02:13 AM   #103
Civ3matt
Chieftain

Angry Civ 5 Sucks

Only one main reason:

You get attacked right at the very start. Now, I always know that everyone starts a war with you 1-20 turns in and rapes you because they build a bunch of armies that don't require resources. I think that is what ruins this game. I don't want to play a game where I spend $50 and when I play it, I am being attacked without even laying down a second city. I used to enjoy playing Civ3 and Civ4 where you build up your civilization first. If someone attacked you, you atleast had SOMETHING to defend with.
In Civ 5, your workers get raped and your capital is stomped to the ground within 1-20 turns.
I think they need to fix the game's AI abilities pronto because I feel like they are abusing it to a point the player gets bored of playing this game because it's the same damn thing: Attacked at the very start.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 02:33 AM   #104
joyous_gard
Prince

Wow, I don't play at that high of a difficulty.
joyous_gard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 02:48 AM   #105
aatami
Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

Go down a difficulty level or two.
aatami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 06:55 AM   #106
kittenOFchaos
Deity

Of all the reasons to dislike CiV this isn't one of them.

I was a member of GOD, twice CCC champions and formerly the best Civ4 Clan in the World and also played with KC, MUD and *A*.
I am a former KAC Tournament Champion

The honeymoon period for Civ V is over I'm back to playing Alpha Centauri
kittenOFchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 07:44 AM   #107
masonryan
Chieftain

I agree you may need to go down a lvl or two.
masonryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 07:53 AM   #108
The_J
Say No 2 Net Validations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civ3matt View Post
Only one main reason:
Moderator Action: Merged this thread into the rants thread.

Steam eats the souls of little gamers!!!
The_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:38 PM   #109
davetaylor
Chieftain

I thought I was buying civ 5 not civ rev 2.0

Man this game is a real dissapointment I thought I was getting the sequal to civ 4, but instead I get a streamlined game that is more like civ rev 2.0 with one exception at least civ rev was fun for a few hours this game is garbage I just returned it to the store what a pece of crap.
davetaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:43 PM   #110
Yzman
Deity

Returned it? How did you manage that?
Yzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:48 PM   #111
davetaylor
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzman View Post
Returned it? How did you manage that?
do you really not know how to return an item to the store? or is this a spam post?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 01:03 PM   #112
Guardian_PL
Emperor

dave, prepare for bashing and accusationfest from people unhappy that you didn't like the turd called Civ5. And yeah, I don't care about infra, it's not like I'm posting here a lot nowadays

Moderator Action: Trolling, you know better.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by Moss; Feb 20, 2011 at 01:28 PM.
Guardian_PL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 01:06 PM   #113
davetaylor
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian_PL View Post
dave, prepare for bashing and accusationfest from people unhappy that you didn't like the turd called Civ5. And yeah, I don't care about infra, it's not like I'm posting here a lot nowadays
well I figure that there is mostly fanboys left on the board as I was late getting to this game but nice to see so many people are still here that know this is a crap game. Looks like it has some good mods at least, but moders should not have to fix a game.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 01:26 PM   #114
Moss
CFC Scribe

Moderator Action: Merged into Rants threads. Also, please watch your tone, as a new poster, I suggest reading the forum rules. Thanks.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889
Old Feb 20, 2011, 01:47 PM   #115
Omega124
There's always a choice..

Stop calling this Civ Rev 2!

Civilization Revolution has too much class to compared to Civilization 5. The fomer knows exactly what it wants to do; it's a game that got rid of many complicated features for the sake of a game that can be played in one setting. When I need a quick civ fix, but don't have the tme to start a real game and see it through, there's always Civ Rev. Its not bad, its just different in the goal, and I can respect that.

However, Civilization 5 fails because it wants to pander to both sides of the fence, so it panders to neither. It wants to be "for thehardcore", but got rid of popular-but-unworked features like religion and espionage. It wants to be "streamlined", but adds a huge combat overhaul, which was well-intentioned but poorly executed. It advertizes that all playstyles and victories are equal, but with an AI that will denounce you if you so much as look at them funny, all it leads is to war. At points, I think they made changes for the sake of changes, like the policy tree.

So, please think before you compare the two games together, think about what they were intended for.

Moderator Action: Moved into rants thread.
KaiserElectric: Anyhoo, that sounds okay Megs.

Last edited by Moss; Feb 20, 2011 at 01:53 PM.
Omega124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 01:49 PM   #116
Skwink
Bye

Boy when civ V first came out, I thought we'd get post like these for a few weeks, but then weeks dragged into months...
Skwink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 01:51 PM   #117
Guardian_PL
Emperor

Ah yes, I've totally forgot about "sweep under the carpet, so nobody can see" option

@Skwink Caesar
Yeah I know, truth is sometimes so hard to cover up... We Polish people for a century and a half were told that Poland doesn't exist and it didn't work. I imagine Russia was pissed

Last edited by Guardian_PL; Feb 20, 2011 at 01:55 PM.
Guardian_PL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:50 PM   #118
Thormodr
Servant of Civ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwink Caesar View Post
Boy when civ V first came out, I thought we'd get post like these for a few weeks, but then weeks dragged into months...
Newsflash! It's still crappy and a huge disappointment.
John 3:16 (KJV)
Thormodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:30 PM   #119
kiwitt
Road to War Modder

I'm still subscribed to this thread: If for nothing else to confirm why I uninstalled it

I'm not sure what it is about civ 4 that makes it so much better than anything else, since; the familiarity of the interface, the tech development, the seemingly endless challenges and every new game is so different. And then there is the 100's of Civ 4 mods (including my own), many of which I have yet to try.

However, after the trend since Civ 4 - CivRev, Colonisation, many of the younger developers cut their "coding" teeth on these and even the lead designer was a youngling, what could I have expected. It really is nothing more than CivRev 2 for the PC and Mac, Iphone, Android, Xbox, PS3, Wii, PSP, ... so it may make a lot of money initially ... by being portable (watch this space), but it won't have the staying power/re-playability/immersion of Civ 4 ... ever. It's just simply a quick ... it's the end of wonderful franchise ... doomed to play out on an iphone near you ... whoop de do
The Road to War - Historical 1.04a" - which is based on The Road to War - Original and has already had 5,000+ downloads. Dale (author of The Road to War) says "But what KiwiTT has done is take my core and expand the realism to form a version of RtW that is pleasing for the hard-cores. For that, KiwiTT gets a dip of my hat.
For future developments and info on these are future mods see ... Facebook/TheRoadToWar"
*** Need help installing Civ4 onto Vista/7/8 read my thread in here *** IOT GM of the year for 2011 for Iron and Blood 1
kiwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 05:17 AM   #120
Sadan01
Conical Flask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thormodr View Post
Newsflash! It's still crappy and a huge disappointment.
I was going to write the same thing. The game in my opinion still sucks. In fact, the only thing that makes me not condemn it further is some of the mods that have been released by the players. And on that point, Firaxis - get off your arse and release the proper dev-tools so the players can fix your game.

Even then as it stands right now, player mods do not make it playable. I can still beat Civ V at diety difficulty and ffs, I'm not a good player of Civilization.

I don't want to admit it but I think it's now time to start "means-testing" Firaxis' releases. I used to buy anything they'd release without reading a review. Now, I'm not so sure anymore. Their inability to fix what I deem important in Civ V leaves me with a feeling that I've wasted my money. Oh well, this isn't the first game and I'm sure it won't be the last that I'll purchase and then second-guess my purchase down the track.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS

CaptainBinky: I have an amazing imagination, so not only can I imagine playing Civ in five years time, I can imagine playing it dressed like a chicken while riding a purple donkey.

Last edited by Sadan01; Feb 21, 2011 at 05:28 AM.
Sadan01 is offline   Reply With Quote