Civ V - Beta 5 - Cultural, Emporer

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

*There is no Civ V HOF Mod as of yet, so please play these games in the spirit of the Civ IV Hall of Fame Rules. Please review these before playing.

Settings:
  • Version: 1.0.0.621 minimum
  • Victory Condition: Cultural (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Emporer
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Ice Age
  • Speed: Quick
  • Civ: Japan
  • Opponents: Any, 7 opponents only, default option (8 civs in total), 16 City States only
  • Resources: Standard
  • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians, New Random Seed, Random Personalities, Save Policies
  • Must Be Checked: No Ruins
  • Date: 4th December 2010 to 4th January 2011

The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

While each map can only be played once, players are more than welcome to generate new maps and submit multiple games. Also, as everyone is playing their own distinct maps, there is no need for spoiler limitation within the thread. In fact, we encourage detailed posting of strategy and gameplay.

To qualify for this gauntlet please complete your game and post both your 4000BC save and your turn after victory save in this thread.

So how has the new patch affected Cultural victories? Let's investigate...

Please note the no ruins and version restrictions as well, let's also see how this affects how people play.

Also, selling cities to reduce the cost of your policies. Should this be banned now as well? Given you can't store policies, it can at the worst affect one policy. Or am I missing something???

1 Max M. 1715
2 Kamino 1750
3 sanabas 1840
4 crafty1 1862
5 NoImagination 1876
6 Alphons Rodolfo 1914
7 Lessa 1928
8 Madratter 1944
9 Vo1985 1972

I think you can wait til you hit 10,000 CP (or whatever) then sell all your cities. 10k CP will be enough to earn you all the policies with one city, so you will immediately be able to win.

I don't know if this actually works. Could someone check? I won't have time to play this challenge til tomorrow and probably not til the weekend. If it does work, I vote that we can't use it.

So how has the new patch affected Cultural victories? Let's investigate...

Please note the no ruins option as well, let's also see how this affects how people play.

Also, selling cities to reduce the cost of your policies. Should this be banned now as well? Given you can't store policies, it can at the worst affect one policy. Or am I missing something???

You can still abuse it. The key is that you can ICS so much that you never actually spend your points, because the cost of the next policy is 30k points. Then, once you build Cristo, you sell off your cities and buy all your policies with the 30k built up.

EDIT: I didn't notice the change to the patch notes. "Have culture cost for policies never go down (trading away cities to reduce culture cost exploit). (Added 12/3)"

That should fix the issue I mentioned.

I'm not getting a new patch update. Is it out yet? I've been busy with a certain MMO expansion coming out today, haven't played Civ5 in the last few days.

Makes me think of another point for this gauntlet. Must have the lastest patch installed, 1.0.0.621. It has made changes that directly effect this gauntlet. Have edited the first and second posts to reflect this.

Btw, Ozbenno, 1.0.0.621 is the old patch from early October, not the new one, which hasn't come out to the best of my knowledge. Thus, the changes to cultural victories haven't occured yet.

Sorry, feeling a bit nitpicky. You wrote emporer instead of emperor.

I haven't actually played an Ice Age map yet. It should be interesting.

It may be worth setting a landmass type for this challenge - I imagine that whether you go continents or small islands is pretty important for an ice age map.

Edit: Though that said, I guess it makes for an interesting decision.

Ice Age seems to have a LOT of fish. I'm currently thinking small islands, get 2 more villages, rush to astronomy to get seaport. Pick up as many GE wonders along the way as possible in one city. Can you GE rush the utopia project?

The suggestion in the patch thread is that we may have a 1-2 week wait for it. Can we submit times using the current version provided we use policies the turn we earn them & we don't reduce our numbers of cities to improve culture requirements?

I'm excited for this one, but I won't have time to do it until the weekend :cry:

I remember my last attempt with similar settings with Napolean didn't go well, maybe I'll have to do a little warmongering and razing this time... Slightly tempted to try OCC, too.

Has no one completed this? I am doing one right now (also an OCC) and am nearing turn 200, with a very non existent army, very low GPT, but lots of culture of course... Should reach the finish line at around 250 if nothing goes wrong ...

Just did 245 without selling cities or saving policies. 235 would've been possible but I got very bored at about turn 175. Not much point in me uploading saves as presumably it doesn't count until new patch is out.

This was on small islands with three villages. I'll try it again on pangea and puppeting to work out the best plan post-patch.

I have just finished this challenge. It took me 308 turns. I was interesting, I have never tried this type of game. It was a big change to see so many wonders, great people and social policies in one game. Also it was difficult not to settle some really sweet unoccupied spots on the map. But knowing that the cost of social policies depends on the number of cities, I thought it would be best not to found too much cities. I founded two cities, each near a lot of resources. Then I got attacked by the Mongols (hardly a surprise). I captured two Mongol cities (including the capital with Stonehenge) and made them puppets. The rest of the game was spend building, exploring, trading and making friends with city states.

I now think that the best approach is to build only one city and have a lot of puppets. As I understand, puppets will cause unhappiness but will contribute culture and do not cause the cost of policies to rise.

I'm trying 2 cities into puppets at the moment. I prefer two cities to one because there're often two wonders I want to build at the same time, and you ideally want 4 horsemen. I've gone for monument, 3 pop, settler, stonehenge, oracle, horsemen and GE wonders on wide continents. I have 3 other civs on my continent, so lots of puppets to take.

You're right about puppets, but note they also effectively don't give you much income either because it takes a long time to get them onto your trade network. Therefore you have less gold and less overall happiness as the cost for greater culture. That's what makes it an interesting trade off.

Good point. I conquered my first civ with horsemen. They were knights by the time I reached the second. Finished on 234 via mass conquer & puppeting. It was a weird map in that I could only scout for 6 city states, 2 of each type. So I imagine if you can find the full 4 of each you'll get faster than this. My capital also wasn't a great production city, it was doing 99.9 shields while building the utopia project. I'm not sure if I went the optimum policy direction either. I think it's right to get the 2 free policies as soon as you're able provided they're in policies that also improve your policy acquisition rate. I didn't really think about that til this game though, not sure if I did it quite right.

I timed Sydney thingy to overflow 100 odd shields on the turn that I reached CP for the penultimate policy so that I could get some into utopia project. I was also in golden age for the last 40-50 turns of the game.

I assume these don't count til the patch, but here're the saves anyway.

Attachments

• Oda Nobunaga_0234 AD-1928.Civ5Save
    774.4 KB · Views: 72
  • AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    310.4 KB · Views: 67
Top Bottom