BtS OOS (Out of Sync Error)

icemanjsg

Warlord
Hello everybody,

Firstly:

1. WE HAVE CLEARED OUR CACHE.
2. WE have spent nearly 4 hours this holiday period trolling through forums for a fix, so don't tell me this is a repeat post. we have not found a satisfactory response (post patch 3.19).

Okay so we have done the following:

- cleared cache
- re-installed/uninstalled/re-installed (the game and windows)
- We have the exact same version and exact same patches
- We have turned of random events
- Prayed to the gods

Still no luck. In desperation to play we reverted to older versions (3.17 then 3.13, we don't go back past 3.13 because we use betterAI, as without it the AI is ******ed) but we still seem to be getting sync errors. I am not talking about here and there I am talking about every other turn late game. Though we have found 3.13 is the most stable.

Any suggestions. We are having our next nerd party (LAN) in March, we would like to play CIV but if we can't minimise sync errors looks like we will have to play something else (don't even think about recommending ciV, I would not go near that piece of ****!)

thanks for any suggestions or HELP!

You have done a good job explaining what you have done. But no description at all of what the specific problem is. Yes I see you put BTS OOS in the title but that doesn't tell us what the conditions are that you are experiencing this in. I have played lots of internet BTS games and OOS's do happen sometimes, but you seem to be implying that you can't play a game because it constantly OOS's....

CS

Apologies, in our game they seem to be caused by some sort of AI/Player or AI/AI interaction. I didn't give specific information about when our game crashes as the error seems to be a general rather than a specific one. In your multiplayer league do you not get late game sync errors? I could imagine if you don't have any AI that would go a long way to eliminating them.

For us the majority of the games sync errors are few and far between, but once you hit the industrial age they become increasingly prevalent.

We used to play on huge fractal maps with 15 players. However, in an attempt to minimise the errors we dropped to a large maps with 10 players.

We turn off simultaneous turns, random events and tech brokering. The game speed is epic.

Me and my friend had the same problem (late game out of syncs, sometimes we could get them away for a few turns by rejoining) and we solved it by turning off random events. Since you wrote that you already did it I will give you our other specifics, maybe you could try it with those settings.
Large to Huge Map with 10-12 Players (including 2 human players)
I also played a lot of games with more players (up to 18 humans) but I don't think we ever got as far as the modern age (where our 2 player problems usually occured).

We play via Gamespy "Internet Game", not direct connect or network or something. Even if we are playing in the same room. CIV IV Internet UP/DOWNLOAD is a joke for todays standards, so I guess you'd be good to go even with 18 players via the same Internet connection.

Game settings: "No Tech Trading" "No Barbs" "Choose Religion" "No Random Events"

We have "simultaneous turns" activated but no "turn timer".

Civ Version is 3.19 (no alterations, MODs, graphic updates or anything)

I know this might not help you at all but since you already tried like everything and I had the same problem before, I thought I'd share my settings.

...We play via Gamespy "Internet Game", not direct connect or network or something. Even if we are playing in the same room. CIV IV Internet UP/DOWNLOAD is a joke for todays standards, so I guess you'd be good to go even with 18 players via the same Internet connection.

Game settings: "No Tech Trading" "No Barbs" "Choose Religion" "No Random Events"

We have "simultaneous turns" activated but no "turn timer"...

Excellent. this is a big help thank you. I will test using gamespy, and come back with some results in a few days.

Do you think it is likely it 'could' have anything to do with simultaneous turns?

thanks once again

Do you think it is likely it 'could' have anything to do with simultaneous turns?

Yes, I actually only posted stuff (no map type or world wrapping or sth) that I thought might have something to do with it. Although these "might"s are very small chances.

Yes, I actually only posted stuff (no map type or world wrapping or sth) that I thought might have something to do with it. Although these "might"s are very small chances.

Thank you for all your help Sueff. turns out it is turning off simultaneous turns stopped sync errors. Obviously, BetterAI was also causing sync errors.

We played a game, until we were both killed and we had no sync errors.

A bit frustrating, but at least we have found a stable version to play on.

JR

I have to say that I normally play TURN BASE ONLY with LAN and internet (always direct IP)
And i get OOS errors randomly ALL the time. I can go 12 hours with 3 players, no issues. Then the next day, same 3 players and every 4 turns we get it. Then with a 1 on 1 we get it EVERY turn. And other times, 6 hours without it, then after that it is every 4 turns.

Changing random events, smart AI, uhhh some RNG stuff in the .ini, clearing cache, even fresh copies of windows never fixed it.

Lately we been doing pitboss games and it just hit me.
Well let's just do a pitboss multiplayer live game...
No OOS with the pitboss game in a good 24 hours of gameplay.

Using pitboss is a bit tricky if you have people inside and outside your network trying to play at the same time, AND if a playing computer is hosting pitboss. But it can be done :)

My husband and I just started trying to play multiplayer this week.

We are playing BtS, with 3.19, LAN, simultaneous turns. Two humans, 5 AI. We are sitting next to each other at the same table.

So naturally, we get to about 1500AD and start getting OOS, increasing until it's every other turn and we just wanted to give up.

I have just found out about Pitboss, haven't tried it yet. Can you tell me what is the best thing to do (to have a decent game and actually finish it!)
1. Use Pitboss (can we do simultaneous turns?)
2. Use LAN but not simultaneous turns
3. Use GameSpy

And is there anything else we should be doing? I've read about people holding down shift at the start of the game. Is that when you double-click on the BtS icon? Or when you launch the MP game?

Hi Melissa
Have you tried changing who creates the game? If you'd like we could try a game with me as a server and with my settings since I haven't got an OOS Error for over a year*. If we don't get an OOS error you two could try the same settings without me. It would at least show if the one creating the game causes the problem. Then we could take a look at OS and stuff like that. Just PM me for that option.
If you want to try my settings with your husband (the ones that never gave me an OOS*), here they are:
Playing via GameSpy
Simultanious Turns On
No Turn Timer
No Tech Trading
Choose Religion
No Random Events

*It's not like I never got an OOS with these settings (we get from zero to about three OOS a game). I just meant I never got those "every (2nd) turn even after loading" OOS that really ruin the game.

PS: Holding down shift is supposed to delete the cache and can sometimes help to connect to a player that won't connect right now. If you have no problems to get in your husbands game (or the other way around) then this won't help you.

Thanks a lot, Sueff - we will give your settings a go. That's a really kind offer about joining a game, and if I don't have any joy, I will definitely get back to you.

The OOS didn't really start until a few hours into the game. But after that it was :mad:

We did have tech trading on, and the turn timer, and random events! So.

Everyone CLAIMS tech trading and random events cause it more. But i NEVER play with those turned on. And still have the issue.
As far as changing host, doesn't seem to effect it either.

Same for the clearing cache, yeah it "works", sometimes, thus it doesn't really work. It is just a random luck that the OOS stops for an hour, then they start right back up. Sometimes it starts right back up after holding shift or whatever key. Just like even after two fresh installs the game will give an OOS on the 2nd turn.

@ Melissa
Yes you can do simu turns in pitboss. As for gamespy, i am 99% sure it wont have any effect on the game at all.

But thing for multiplayer is use pitboss.

We had a successful PitBoss game with just one OOSync that happened immediately after I upgraded a stack of units in one go. (It didn't cause OOS every time I did it either. :crazyeye:)

That was with
  • simultaneous turns
  • no tech trading
  • no turn timer
  • no random events
  • 2 humans, 6 AI players

We played right up to about 1860AD (domination victory). Hooray, finally we can play together without going crazy.

Yes I think the issue is the game having issues syncing the data the AI is doing in simtaneous turns, going turn based of course solves this but also making the game alot longer. And yes Iceman, on our league we hardly ever play with AI unless it is because a player dropped and we could not get a sub. Of course playing on large/huge maps with lots of AI just multiplys the issue and the chances of problems later on in the game.

CS

i played MP with RevolutionDCM modpacks (BTS 3.19). Im using direct IP connection with my brother.
Usually the game will OOS 3 - 4 times (or less), but we always finish the game.
when it turns OOS we just save the game and exit to main menu. Then both of us reconnects. :dance:

I play CIV a lot with my GF and a buddy of mine, with two desktops and a notebook. We've got OOS's every few rounds starting at mid game.

I suspected that something goes wrong with the LAN or router or something, and I remembered that I never had such problems with direct IP games over the internet. (did not work with local ip, 192.168... Only real internet ip's seem to work)

So I set my router up for dyndns, and even though we are sitting in the same room we are now connecting through the internet. Its very convenient as the address is always the same (you can actually use the dyndns address in the IP field).

Got 1Mbit upload speed, seems to be enough for three people.

We never had OOS problems since. Maybe that helps you too. No need for gamespy, and the likes.

Rapidly tapped in with Tapatalk!

Just a side note.
Until we started running the game in XP compatible mode, any later game golden age would trigger a OOS, and also some random events (as mentioned).

Now that we run in compatible mode we only get a them every now an then later in the game, but nowhere near enough that the game is unplayable. The one thing that we noticed that still causes an OOS is global upgrading of units. We now just upgrade city by city and that has eliminated quite a few.

I play K-Mod multiplayer, and we haven't seen any OOS errors at all for several versions. I'm cautiously optimistic that all of the OOS bugs have been fixed.

I'd be interested to know if you guys still get OOS errors with that.

Top Bottom