1 in 7 Americans on Food Stamps

Integral

Can't you hear it?
Part of a continuing series.

May 3, 2011, 2:10 PM ET

About 1 in 7 in U.S. Receive Food Stamps

Growth in the food stamp program appeared to reach a plateau in February — with 14.3% of the population relying on the safety net program.

The number of food stamp recipients was essentially flat in February, the most recent month available, with 44.2 million Americans receiving benefits, according a new report from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

The food stamp program ballooned during the recession as workers lost their jobs or saw their hours and income reduced. The rise in recipients has begun to flatten in recent months, which may mean that as the economy is improving fewer Americans are seeking to join the program. Enrollment in the program is still high though, with 11.6% more people tapping benefits in February than the same month a year earlier.

Food stamp numbers aren’t seasonally adjusted though, meaning a variety of factors could influence the monthly tallies and the program could grow again in coming months.

Mississippi and Oregon were among the states with the largest share of the population utilizing food stamps in February: At least one in five residents in each state were receiving benefits.

Wyoming had the lowest rate of recipients with just 6.6% of the state’s residents using food stamps.

Source

Should we be handing out more food stamps? Fewer? Should the monthly allotment rise, given how long the recession has been prolonged? The average food stamp payment is about $133 per month per recipient.

What Is To Be Done?

To be a recipient of such welfare I think citizens must pass a basic test. A test on ponies.

Spoiler :
It's a big mess and I'd tend to think some reforms of how food stamps are used could help. And I'm kinda disheartened by the effects of lobnies, not to mention budget cuts, on general news in this area. Say, the recent New York debacle where all that trouble went into keeping sugary soft drinks etc... specifically allowed by food stamps but the real fundamentals of the program are far from perfect.

$133 per month? I could live on that. I'd just have to cook economically and eat McDonald's... every other day.

Well if my food expenditure was only $133 a month the last place I'd be eating would be McDonalds...

$133 is more than enough. As for food stamps, let the free market decide. I.e. let them starve to death in the streets and litter our roads with corpses. Then the corporations may consider handing out free food in order to keep the roads clean of dead bodies. But then again, the incentive may be insufficient.

$133 a month may be possible. But it's limiting. Some increase in it would be a good idea. And then broaden the availability of the program. I'm sure millions more need the program, if it was easier to get.

I don't think we have the money to really make it broader. If that many people are on food stamps, any extra money needs to be spend on job creation and redevelopment, not potato chip money.

Most people on food stamps don't really need to be. Many people just exchange them for cash (so they can buy alcohol or drugs).

It's supposed to be supplemental, not a replacement for somebody's entire food budget.

That's the problem. We base these services off a short-term paranoia instead of long-term investment. Many states have cut TANF and other aid services down to the point where families are using this for their entire budget. The reason is the cut-off level for income; it's a sad irony that families are denied further services once they're almost out of the hole because their income is too high. It's a never-ending cycle for some people.

What's with the U.S. being such a welfare state, though? I thought you guys were against handouts?

Usually am, though its different depending on the situation.

If welfare is going to exist though, food stamps are a pretty good way of doing it. Then, people are actually getting food instead of drugs off welfare...

1 in 7? Really, 1 in 7?!

I didn't realize the US was that poor. I guess that's what you get with such a ''winners/losers mentality'' culture. You get alot of losers.

Seriously though, is that a confirmed percentage?

Top Bottom