Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > OUR ARCHIVES > List of Archived Forums > CIV WORLD > CivWorld - General Discussions

Old May 10, 2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Civrules

Sid Meier on CNN.com

Hey all,

Figured I'd drop by and post this because I saw it on CNN's main page.

Someone may already have posted it. Don't know.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming....ex.html?hpt=C2

Apparently Civ is hitting facebook this summer. Which is news to me - since I'm rarely on facebook, and haven't played the game in years.

I guess if they reached people like me, they must be doing something right.

Last edited by Civrules; May 10, 2011 at 04:26 PM.
Civrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Ian7
Youngest Civver I know!

They announced that last year. It has been known for a while, though updates are few and far between.
Ian7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Thander
Warlord

I thought it was a video interview. Anyways, nothing new. Just the same stuff Sid has been talking about for awhile now.
Thander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 04:46 PM   #4
Skwink
Bye

So it's gonna be out by next winter?! Awesome!
Skwink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 04:47 PM   #5
The_J
Say No 2 Net Validations

But it's still an interesting article imho. Thanks for posting it here .

Steam eats the souls of little gamers!!!
The_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 05:13 PM   #6
Camikaze
Deity

Interesting article! Nicely explains how much of a different ballpark this is.

I shuddered at the grainy Civ5 image at the top, though.
Old May 10, 2011, 06:02 PM   #7
Mr_Wonka
Chieftain

can someone work my farm for me!? let me send an invite to 30 friends so they can work pyramids for me!!!

F'in gay if you ask me

Moderator Action: Please express opinions in a constructive manner without the language.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by Moss; May 10, 2011 at 07:13 PM.
Mr_Wonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 08:58 PM   #8
jmm
Chieftain

My two cents:

Like anything on Facebook, a waste of time and effort.
I know the social aspect is what Sid is aiming for but I prefer a fully featured Civ game with more *social* features than a fully fledged social *site* with Civ lite.

Now, if Civ 6 (or Civ 5 with Service Pack 10) adds optional integration with Facebook, then fine, but I still expect a fully fledged game (or fixed game) that doesn't force me to get into Facebook (or GameSpy or Steam or...)
jmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 09:34 PM   #9
TopGearFanatic
Duke of St. Louis

I'm getting really tired of Facebook starting to dominate everything.
TopGearFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 09:46 PM   #10
OrsonM
Our man

The next Civ it's going to be on the twitters, and the Androids and the Macintosh's Pads too.

The funny thing is that facebook users couldn't care less if they are playing the original or not, Zynga's finest efforts are poor copies of other successful games (yet they work).

I know that throwing the buzzword "on facebook..." works great on your usual shareholder meeting, because whatever "on facebook" and "on twitter" means doesnt really matter. What matters is the boys at firaxis are being proactive, doing lateral thinking, and immersion and web 2.0. Because that's were the synergy is within the cloud computing, going guerrilla style in the street.

And change you can believe in, you betcha.
OrsonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 10:28 PM   #11
AriochIV
HERETIC

I'm not attempting to be a troll, just trying to interject community opinion here -- I don't think it's physically possible for me to care less than I currently do about Facebook Civilization.

Console Civilization (Civ Revolution) was utter garbage, and yes I own it and have played it. It's not possible for me to imagine how Facebook web-browser Civilization could be less crappy than Civ Revolution.

I know these dumbed-down games are meant to appeal to the siren song of the "non-gamer", but are the denizens of this forum really non-gamers? I really don't think so.
AriochIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 12:19 AM   #12
doompigeon
Chieftain

Not the target audience

It's clearly not civfanatics that Sid is trying to win over with this move, and that's fine. If you consider this "the next civ" you'l be disappointed, but you'll be making a mistake. Yes, it's a completely different direction, but I think they know that, and I get the sense that they want to keep the facebook/console stuff separate from the core of the series. So don't play it if you don't like it, but I hope there's minimal kvetching about the death of civilization from people who try it and don't enjoy it. This clearly hasn't conflicted with patching Civ 5 into something good (not quite right yet, but getting closer every patch and certainly an enjoyable game at this point) and I don't yet have reason to think it will.
doompigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 12:36 AM   #13
snarzberry
Emperor

I love the Civ franchise but I hope (and not secretly) that this entire enterprise is one spectacular fail.
snarzberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 03:36 AM   #14
Gismo
Chieftain

It's the logical successor of Civ Rev and Civ 5. I wonder if we will ever see a good civ again
Gismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 03:56 AM   #15
joyous_gard
Prince

I would love to see a spectacular fail of this product.
joyous_gard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 04:25 AM   #16
CYZ
Toileteer

I use facebook but have never bothered with the games. I think if implemented right it can work. It wouldn't be comparable with civ V though.

Although this certainly has alot of potential I think the risk of failure is pretty big. Sid apperently just wants to get on the social media bandwagon. Which is fine ofcourse, but for a complex game like Civ he'd have more succes in perhaps ten years or so. When social media has taken a more permanent form, is used more troughout the world and the technical capabilities in general are more advanced.
Old May 11, 2011, 06:28 AM   #17
Ermak-
Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by doompigeon View Post
It's clearly not civfanatics that Sid is trying to win over with this move, and that's fine. If you consider this "the next civ" you'l be disappointed, but you'll be making a mistake. Yes, it's a completely different direction, but I think they know that, and I get the sense that they want to keep the facebook/console stuff separate from the core of the series. So don't play it if you don't like it, but I hope there's minimal kvetching about the death of civilization from people who try it and don't enjoy it. This clearly hasn't conflicted with patching Civ 5 into something good (not quite right yet, but getting closer every patch and certainly an enjoyable game at this point) and I don't yet have reason to think it will.
didnt patch a single thing in multiplayer to date, and i dont play mind numbing ai
Old May 11, 2011, 06:48 AM   #18
Dermo
Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGearFanatic View Post
I'm getting really tired of Facebook starting to dominate everything.
Not me. The more time my wife spends on facebook, the more time I get to spend playing Civ
Dermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 06:55 AM   #19
ohioastronomy
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyous_gard View Post
I would love to see a spectacular fail of this product.
I totally agree. The entire Facebook game model is repellant to me - con people into buying fluff for a game; rope your friends into making profits for the game company. The gameplay is deliberately designed to be repetitive and ultra-easy (for the "casual" crowd.) And if it works there won't be a new Civ (at best); any Civ game they design will be aimed at the dollar signs, e.g. the Facebook crowd, and it will make Civ Rev look deep and complicated.
ohioastronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 08:47 AM   #20
MoonFlare
Prince

Every facebook user is an exceptional individual.And this game will fail.
"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
-Cave Johnson
MoonFlare is offline   Reply With Quote