Open Borders for 50 Gold

Save_Ferris

Admiring Myself
Does anyone ever sell your Open Borders to a friendly civ for 50 Gold? The thing is, they might have no reason to go anywhere near your borders, but will nearly always want the same trade- Open Borders for 50 Gold. Let's say you have half of the AI friendly with you (4 on Standard, what I play) and Open Borders lasts for 45 turns (again on standard). That gives you 200 Gold every 45 turns, which is basically over 4 Gold per Turn. If you try to be peaceful and play on larger maps, it will be even more. Does everyone do this, or am I the only one?

Yes I do it alot usally they ask me shall we make open borders and i am like shure 50 gold budy but sometimes if i see napoleon i like neah i dont give you open borders because you might atack me...

In fact you are the last one...just kidding! :D

For 43 gold only, AI may hide something...like a future DoW.

Pretty sure you are playing on Epic if your Borders are for 45 turns (Standard is 30)

Most people I think do... It makes being on the same landmass with a lot of civs significantly easier, at least in the early game.

it's only 30 turns on standard.

and yes, everyone does it.

'friendly' gets you 50g.
'friendly' and not liking you gets 43g.
Neutral actually gets you 0 or 5g, at least in the beginning.

I'm the lone-ranger here, just want to point out that "everyone" doesn't do it.

There are situations where having mutual open borders is more valuable than selling just yours.

I actually don't sell open borders at all any more. Had a few bad experiences with 3rd party scouts getting in the way of my war plans. So annoying...not worth 50g.

I play on emperor where I don't feel the 50g is needed. Maybe it is necessary on the highest levels.

so backstabbers pay 43g??? hmm

Not always backstabbers, but if they only give you 43 instead of 50 they have some reason to not like you so much. It might not be enough to show up as a negative diplo modifier yet, however. This the 13% discount but still friendly status, it also shows up as 261 gold for a sold lux instead of 300.

I could swear open borders last 50 turns regardless of the game speed which is also why they sell for 50g regardless of the difficulty (aka 1gpt). By this statement, I don't mean I just realized that I'm wrong from some of the replies but rather that most of you are wrong :p

On topic...do most people do? Don't think so. Some people consider it a cheat...most competitive player will tell you it ain't (as would I). I personally use it a lot. Hell if I can sell a luxury&open border together I usually do. This way if my luxury gets pillaged, I get to sell that extra 50g again. I usually stop bothering asking the AIs for open border sales after my opener is done though because it is quite a hassle to do it and the gold income from it becomes more and more marginal in comparison to your empires' income as the time goes.

Bryanw's comment about the 13% reduction is also very accurate. There are two levels of relationship. The one showed in your diplo tab, and the true level in the game calculations. They can't differ so much but trades devaluation is a pointer that the hidden (and true) value of your relationship is below the listed friendly.

As vexing pointed, if I ever want to have an other civs' borders open I will still sell mine for 50g and just purchase an open border for 50g later when I'm truely ready to move through

I always play with 19 civs (no DLC except free Mongols) including the one I'm using, so this is 18x50=900 gold every 90 turns on marathon. Early in the game, this extra cash is quite useful indeed.

Later in the game when my economy is booming, I don't sign open borders unless I have a specific reason to do so as I don't want hoards of AI units clogging up my territory and stopping my workers from getting about.

Sometimes I'll negotiate open borders just to see how much the AI is willing to pay, but I won't actually take the deal. It's a handy way to gauge the AIs attitude to you as they might all be "friendly" but some will offer 50g, while others offer 25g and as such are not truly friendly.

it's only 30 turns on standard.

and yes, everyone does it.

'friendly' gets you 50g.
'friendly' and not liking you gets 43g.
Neutral actually gets you 0 or 5g, at least in the beginning.

Watching your demos, I couldn't see clearly what you were typing and thought it was 10. AI have been ripping me off. :crazyeye:

if your not getting 50g its not worth selling
assuming the AI needs to scout you pre-DoW

Not everyone, having AI units on my lawn blocking my workers from getting to the tiles they need to improve and my military from getting where it needs to be isn't worth 50 gold to me.

everyone does.

I'll sign it with civs that are far enough to not be a threat. I might go for mutual if I want to pass/scout someone's land, but I'd stil rather prefer to pay 50 g for that if I can.

Only exception is Bismarck, I like him because he always likes me.

I for one tend to always sell open borders to anyone paying me decent enough for it in the early game when money is tight, after midgame the gains are too low to be interesting enough but I do use open borders as a tradebalance from time to time even late game.

Top Bottom