Which aspects do you prefer?

Which aspects do you prefer?

• Total voters

civnoob13

King
Okay, I think it would be interesting to look at some key civ V and civ IV aspects and see which you all prefer. I have a maximum of 25 poll options, which means, assuming a pro V, pro IV and neither category, gives me 8 different aspects of the game to work with. So, before I make the poll, which 8 aspects should I include?

At this stage, I am thinking:

1 1UPT vs Infinite UPT
2 Cities can defend themselves vs Cities can't defend
3 Social policies vs civics
4 Science earned by population vs science earned by gold
5 UAs vs traits
6 Religion vs no religion
7 Hex tiles vs Square tiles
8 1 culture tile gain per expansion vs civ IV culture expansion method

Any ideas, any changes, any replacements? And would anybody mind making votes public (so everyone can see everyone else's votes)?

Looks good, and a nice idea, but I'm not sure about Religion vs No Religion, as by the coding, religion was supposed to be there, and, I'm inclined to believe, is likely to arrive at some stage. So it might be better to leave that until after it's implemented.

As far as culture is concerned (8), I think you should take it all in one, i.e. culture as in V (much more controllable by the player), against culture as in IV (expanding city influence).

I'm not sure about the Science wording (4) but cannot offer a better suggestion at present, perhaps someone else can?

Yeah, I wasn't sure about my science wording or about culture at all. And I've just realised that I completely missed out one of the most important differences: Global happiness vs local health and happiness. That definitely needs to be replaced, but with what? I might get rid of religion and replace with global happiness vs local.

Darn - I accidentally refreshed the page and now I can't add a poll. I'll ask the mods to see if they can do anything.

You may want to do create this thread in Civ 4 general discussion area,since anyone that hates Civilization 5 and love Civilization 4 won't see this. Anyway, I think Religion should be in the game,but not in the way that was made in Civ 4,because Religion there wasn't something balanced and funny(it was basically a cash maker and a diplomacy power) .

Beside these 8 aspects,I'd like to add an aspect 9,that is about which way is better to prevent players from expanding too much:

9 Corruption System from Civilization 3 / Maintain cost of each city and Global Health from Civilization 4 / Global Happiness and Social Policies from Civilization 5

A more experienced player can correct or add something in aspect 9.

You may want to do create this thread in Civ 4 general discussion area,since anyone that hates Civilization 5 and love Civilization 4 won't see this. Anyway, I think Religion should be in the game,but not in the way that was made in Civ 4,because Religion there wasn't something balanced and funny(it was basically a cash maker) .

Beside these 8 aspects,I'd like to add an aspect 9,that is about which way is better to prevent players from expanding too much:

9 Corruption System from Civilization 3 / Maintain cost of each city and Global Health from Civilization 4 / Global Happiness and Social Policies from Civilization 5

A more experienced player can correct or add something in aspect 9.

But if I added in the civ 4 section we'd have the same problem but the other way around.

Unfortunately, the maximum number of options for a poll is 25, which means, assuming that you have one option for the civ V aspect, 1 for civ 4 and 1 for neither, means that the maximum amount of factors you can have is 8. I think the factor you include is very important though, so what should I replace it with? And isn't health local in civ 4?

Oh great. If there's one thing part of the board really needed, it's more pointless survey polls that mean nothing.

If you've got nothing constructive to say then don't bother speaking at all. I can't find any threads in this section started by you anyway, so if you're going to be critical of this section then take some initiative and make a good thread yourself.

If you've got nothing constructive to say then don't bother speaking at all. I can't find any threads in this section started by you anyway, so if you're going to be critical of this section then take some initiative and make a good thread yourself.

Maybe it's because I don't go around starting pointless spam threads. That's why I go to "Forum Games". I tried to be constructive but you can only be so constructive when you're given two grains of sand. Except at this point, the two grains of sand still have more substance than polls that have been done to death. Let me show you why.
Moderator Action: And do not put such much work into trashing someones thread.
If you can't appreciate a thread, then leave it alone. There's no point in destroying what others might enjoy.

1 1UPT vs Infinite UPT

There are at least forty-five and a half polls on this question and hundreds of variations.

Pointless question. You need cities to be able to defend themselves with 1UPT. If cities couldn't defend themselves, the Conquest victory would be even easier than it is now.

Seen it. Next.

Well, now we're just scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

5 UAs vs traits

If you post the poll here, people will say UA. If you post it in CivIV, they will say traits. It may be because they're two different games.

Pretty sure this has been talked about to death. It's the only non-pointless question in your list.

See #5.

Again. CiV expansion works for CiV while CivIV expansion works for CivIV. Therefore, see #5.

Maybe it's because I don't go around starting pointless spam threads. That's why I go to "Forum Games". I tried to be constructive but you can only be so constructive when you're given two grains of sand. Except at this point, the two grains of sand still have more substance than polls that have been done to death. Let me show you why.

Those are YOUR opinions and you have voiced them, albeit somewhat rudely. That's what discussions like this are for. I think there are some valid points to discuss here and may influence mods and / or future games / expansions. If people want to talk about it, let them.

You don't run around to other kids birthday parties knocking over the cake because you don't see any benefit to you. Likewise you shouldn't try to derail a thread because you don't like the topic. Just don't bother commenting.

"He knocked on the laboratory door accusing me of ruining the fun...
The fun...he knocked on it some more..."

civnoob, I say have at it!

Those are YOUR opinions and you have voiced them, albeit somewhat rudely. That's what discussions like this are for. I think there are some valid points to discuss here and may influence mods and / or future games / expansions. If people want to talk about it, let them.

You don't run around to other kids birthday parties knocking over the cake because you don't see any benefit to you. Likewise you shouldn't try to derail a thread because you don't like the topic. Just don't bother commenting.

Exactly. Him going through all the points wasn't constructive either. He merely said 'I don't like it' 7 times.

You weren't at all trying to be constructive. There was nothing in your post about improvement, and neither is anything below anything more than thoughtless criticisms.

There are at least forty-five and a half polls on this question and hundreds of variations.

Maybe three or four in the year we have had the game. However, opinions change and this poll is for all main aspects, not just this. It is useful for looking at all of the aspects together, rather than just one.

Pointless question. You need cities to be able to defend themselves with 1UPT. If cities couldn't defend themselves, the Conquest victory would be even easier than it is now.

This is just a mindless criticism. I have seen plenty of people suggesting that multiple units should stack in a city, and you probably have too.

Seen it. Next.

I haven't, and see my first reply.

Well, now we're just scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

No, you're just trolling. I strongly prefer science earned by gold to science earned by population because science earned by gold in turn means sliders, which give a far better control over your empire. Further, by micromanageing your cities, you can increase science at crucial times by focusing on gold. Gold is also positively correlated with population, so, for me earning science by gold is far superior than the boring linear growth of science earned by population in civ 5.

If you post the poll here, people will say UA. If you post it in CivIV, they will say traits. It may be because they're two different games.

Rubbish. There is absolutely no proof that everyone in this forum prefers UAs, or even the majority does. Nobody is going to refuse to play civ 5 simply due to UAs rather than traits, so we can expect a mixed response here. Besides, many people play both civ 4 and civ 5 and go on both forums. And if you'd actually bothered to put any thought in this, you would realise that your opinion would come under the third option for every aspect as 'no preference'. Others may not, so don't assume that your opinion is the same as everyone else's.

Pretty sure this has been talked about to death. It's the only non-pointless question in your list.

A year into its release, and with the patch talked about to death, literally everything has now been talked about to death. But, if you didn't notice, diplomacy is going to change quite a lot in the next patch with the new modifiers, and now with the more transparent diplomacy, religion is becoming more and more of an option for civ 5

Again. CiV expansion works for CiV while CivIV expansion works for CivIV. Therefore, see #5.

This is just a mindless assertion with no actual reasoning for your claims. I see no reason to say that one works better for civ 5 and one for civ 4 until you actually give reasons for your claims. At the moment, it looks like you're simply trying to defend a poorly judged post made in jest when you didn't actually bother thinking about anything.

So, for people interested in making constructive changes, rather than mindless criticisms, do you think that my aspects are the ones to choose? Obviously global happiness has to be incorporated.

He's got a point, though. (Or seven of them. :) ) The poll spammage in here is relentless.

If you believe that then there is no harm in going to the mods and asking them to do something about it. It is a fair criticism, and if you had said it in a polite way, unlike he did, I might have responded differently. If the mods agree that there are too many polls, then they will disable them/close new ones, so ask them to do this if this is what you feel. This is also one of the reasons why I waited to see peoples' opinions on this. That way I could change the options or not bother with the polls at all and let the thread die. But to be honest I wouldn't say that 5 polls (including this one) in over 40 threads is worthy of concern, especially seeing as so many threads are dying anyway.

So, to everyone, should I bother with this poll (taking into account I would have to start a new thread about it because you have to make the poll in under 30 mins after the OP, I'm leaning towards 'no', even though I think the poll itself is good)

Moderator Action: Back to topic.
This thread is about the most appreciated points in Civ5, not about anything else.
And if you don't want to post in here, don't want to discuss this topic, then GTFO and let the people who want to discuss it alone.

Edit: Poll will come in some seconds.
2. edit: ...if i know what exactly to add. @OP: PM please about the poll options.

Thanks

I'm still not exactly sure what we are agreeing on

Any problems with the following?

I'll post in the morning (UK)

1 1UPT vs Infinite UPT
5 Global Happiness vs Local Health and Local Happiness

I removed UAs vs Traits and replaced with global happiness. Any objections to this list? If not I will PM the mod in the morning.

Another one you could add is health vs. no health. I find myself missing that mechanic, but I know others disagree, so it might be work asking about.

Another one you could add is health vs. no health. I find myself missing that mechanic, but I know others disagree, so it might be work asking about.

With 25 poll options, and three options for each aspect (I prefer A, I prefer B, I prefer neither), the maximum number of aspects you can have is 8. Suggestions on what to replace if you want to include this?

Unless of course mods can make polls with more than 25 aspects. (edit, no they can't)

Top Bottom