Civ V PBEM - at long last an actual game!

SmileyMan

Chieftain
So a couple of friends and I, long time Civ IV PBEMmers are having a go with the post-patch to see whether CivV works as a PBEM game. I'll record any thoughts and tips here.

First thing to note is how nice the setup is for Hotseat mode. Much more pleasing on the eye than Civ IV PBEM mode, and the well-designed UI flows naturally from top to bottom of the form. The sort of little detail that goes unmentioned, but nice.

There's no way to pre-set the passwords, so you'll have to trust each other for the first round.

Interestingly, the options make it clear that the random seed is stored with the game (you can turn this off, but why would you?), so there's no possibility to re-load the game and get a different result, although there's nothing to stop someone trying a different attack order, or re-loading after a failed attack and fortifying instead.

The key is of course to play with people that you can trust not to cheat.

Perhaps the biggest issue for PBEMmers is that after your turn, alhough there is a nice big fat Save button, there isn't a button to exit the game after the save. However...

IMPORTANT TIP: After saving between turns, use Alt-F4 to bring up the quit game dialogue.

No in-game PBEM interface, of course, but since the one in Civ IV was so horrible, maybe that's no bad thing. Just create a shortcut to your hotseat saves folder and then email them normally.

It's yet to make it round the loop yet......

There's no way to pre-set the passwords, so you'll have to trust each other for the first round.

It is possible to pre-set passwords by clicking on "Edit" when setting up the game, but since it can only be done by the person who does the setup, it's not a very useful option (unless you ask someone who is not in the game and knows all players' passwords to do it)

I'm a bit disappointed that you can't have more players than the default number for the given map size, you need to make a mod for this.

Also, when the number of players is higher than 8 (on L or XL maps), a message saying "Warning: Unsupported number of players" appears. I wonder what it means...

Five turns in, and all running smoothly. The only pain is again, that missing close button. The Alt-F4 trick works, but that exists Civ completely.

Five turns in, and all running smoothly. The only pain is again, that missing close button. The Alt-F4 trick works, but that exists Civ completely.

Yeah, it's going OK. Bit slow to start with, but I've got 3 games on the go now.

I am interested in long term PBEM games if anyone is organizing any. Ladder on non, I don't have a preference, as long as we finish the games.

Giant Rats?

I would like to pick a civ where giants rats(production bonus, extra movement UA) rule the world. My opponent could pick mighty squirels(extra food UA) or cybernetic flies(spying abilities UA).

On topic : PBEM? I will have white hairs when i will play my last turn. I don't want to wait that long. Games must be fast and played in 2-3 sessions max or i will get bored before the game will end.

Great to see some players having some patience around here. Hurry up, or another patch will ruin your game! :D

Are there any PBEM players interested in a casual, long-term game?

I am encouraged that something like that would work and be fun by this thread. I would like to set one up and I have a friend who would like to play as well. I'd like to get four or five players total with the understanding that this is a long-term, casual game.

Any takers?

Top Bottom