I love Continents Plus but...I want to settle islands too.

truenarnian

Emperor
I love the Continents Plus map script and think it has by far the most interesting maps to play on. It's everything I want in a map script: large, differentiated continents, inland seas, archipelagos, bays, lots of island types.

But I hate that the only islands ever left for me to settle are 1-5 hex pieces of garbage. I want to discover and settle an "Australia" or an "Iceland" once in a while without their being city-states to dislodge. Fighting CS's is a loser's game in my opinion since the other CS's get pissed off, which means I never get to settle good island.

I know I can turn CS's down in Advanced Setup, but I feel that interferes with the balance of the game (e.g. it waters down Greece and Siam's abilities).

I wish just a few of them would be on mainland, leaving some island spots open.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I think that occasionally a civ should start on an island chain, while more city states should be on the mainland in all games. When I first saw Continents Plus, I figured "cool, more islands to utilize", but all it does it put the CSs on them, making them even less likely to be invaded or to get in battles with civs. Compared to Continents, where City States are much more likely to be caught in the action, it's just not as entertaining. Same with Pangea Plus.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I think that occasionally a civ should start on an island chain, while more city states should be on the mainland in all games. When I first saw Continents Plus, I figured "cool, more islands to utilize", but all it does it put the CSs on them, making them even less likely to be invaded or to get in battles with civs. Compared to Continents, where City States are much more likely to be caught in the action, it's just not as entertaining. Same with Pangea Plus.

/sign

Maybe this will be adressed in the next patch, but right now I have to say they did a poor job with the random map pack just because of the horrible city state placement tinkering. I'd say 95% of all city states should be on mainland.

I could really use the following:

A continents maps script, but the map is overall a say 40% larger, so you have the same amount of land, but the appropriate amount of ocean. So the ocean is you know, big.

At least one inland sea, possibly or possibly not connected to the ocean.
Less ice/arctic actually on the map. The ice has no gampelay value, and the arctic terrain is handled poorly by the AI.

Some islands/island chains (though not so many as continents plus)
And yes don't put more than 1 or 2 CSs on one hex islands.

I totally agree, this is needed to make the exploration/colonization phase more meaningful, and also make civs like England & Spain much less map-dependent.

Small continents is a good script, you usually get a nice variety of continent sizes, islands, and sometimes a really big continent mixed in.

The perfect world script also does a fair job of mixing things up.

What's missing from the built-in scripts is any control over options like you used to have in older versions of civ. Like if you could control sea level on the continents script, you could play on that slightly bigger map and ramp up the water to cut down on land and get that greater spacing.

The script I'm most disappointed in is fractal because most of the time it seems to give you a crappy/simple pangea, and doesn't give you the snaky continents as often as it should. The pangea script itself does way better pangeas, IMO, so no clue why fractal yields the round/square/boring type maps at all.

I find all of the default maps bland and uninteresting. Try PerfectWorld 3 or Techtonics (I have more experience with the former). You will see more varied and interesting land sizes (some CS infested, some not). You'll also see mountain ranges that matter for strategy. The mountain ranges often create effectively isolated areas even on occupied continents (these fill up eventually, but it takes longer).

I also tried playing on the continents plus script and found similar problems.

I have also used the tectonics map script like Pazyryk said above and find it to be the best. The mountain ranges are great and really brings out the strategy. One game I had a choke point well under my control. I felt like the spartans!! great fun!

Small continents is a good script, you usually get a nice variety of continent sizes, islands, and sometimes a really big continent mixed in.
I don't care much for small continents, since its tile placing is so inconsistent. You can get tundra right next to desert, then a single plains tile, then tundra again. It does give a nice overall world, though

The script I'm most disappointed in is fractal because most of the time it seems to give you a crappy/simple pangea, and doesn't give you the snaky continents as often as it should. The pangea script itself does way better pangeas, IMO, so no clue why fractal yields the round/square/boring type maps at all.

Really? I've never had Fractal give me less than 2 continents. I started using it over Continents itself because it also gives you islands, which continents sometimes does not.

Nope, it shows as stone. I've had some small awkwardnesses (odd starting locations, wraparound line cuts right through the biggest continent), but the map's been working just fine. Civ V could definitely do with a more mountainey default map.

Is this something that came in the latest patch or is this a mod you guys are talking about? Where can I get it?

City States more isolated on islands is good for game balance, especially in multiplayer. So I like how they make the maps. If you don't have an important resource mid/late game, there is always a chance alot of the city states still excist, and can provide you some + it makes patronage not completely useless, as it is if all City States are conquered before medieval age.

I find conintents plus tends to put all the city states off the continents and in their own small islands. Or was it Pangea Plus. :confused: or both. :confused:

In anycase, I do like the early interactions with CS in my games.

Top Bottom