Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > OUR ARCHIVES > List of Archived Forums > CIV WORLD > CivWorld - General Discussions

Notices

CivWorld - General Discussions Forum for discussions about the upcoming FaceBook Application Civilization World

Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:51 AM   #1
zeeter
Emperor

Great Wall

Can the Great Wall prevent an attack if it's been built after someone invades but before the actual battle starts?
His most rightious majesty, Zeeter, beloved of God and protector of the faith, does condescend to greet you. Do tell me: are you a rightious people, or are you fiendish heathens who need to be wiped off the face of this fair land?
zeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:22 AM   #2
eewallace
King

No, but I think you can still avoid invasion if you build Great Wall while the other nation is voting on whether to invade you.
eewallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:11 AM   #3
zeeter
Emperor

Oh bummer. Thanks.
His most rightious majesty, Zeeter, beloved of God and protector of the faith, does condescend to greet you. Do tell me: are you a rightious people, or are you fiendish heathens who need to be wiped off the face of this fair land?
zeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:41 PM   #4
Monthar
Emperor

Yet, you'll see defenders rushing to build it every time a battle is scheduled instead of saving those GP for something that might actually help them win. Such as boosting their production, gold, etc so they can field more troops.

Last edited by Monthar; Jul 23, 2011 at 07:09 PM.
Monthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:00 PM   #5
Glinda
Warlord

Yeah, far better to do Call to Arms, or just build more mans.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2011, 04:23 PM   #6
JSwartz0181
Chieftain

On a semi-related question, can other civs vote to invade you while you have the Great Wall (only it can't happen should it pass)? That seems to be the case right now for my team (we have the Wall, yet someone else is voting to invade us). Or is that a vote to support another civ that we're currently in the process of voting on whether to invade?

Last edited by JSwartz0181; Jul 30, 2011 at 05:55 PM.
JSwartz0181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2011, 06:27 PM   #7
Glinda
Warlord

They can put up the vote, but it gets cancelled mysteriously, with no warning message.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2011, 06:45 PM   #8
JSwartz0181
Chieftain

Like instantly, or should it gain enough votes to pass? It's been a few hours, and the other civ still has that vote ongoing, so I'm just unsure.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 08:45 PM   #9
Creepy Old Man
Warlord

The game checks for the Great Wall when the vote is passed, and only then. If you are in a civ when a vote is passed to attack a defended civ, then you will see two lines: the guy who votes "yes", and the motion is passed. You will not see the third line that you would otherwise see, about your nation invading the target.
Creepy Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:10 PM   #10
JSwartz0181
Chieftain

Thanks. It was a little worrisome seeing the vote going on when we were supposed to be safe. Now I know.
Old Aug 02, 2011, 04:50 AM   #11
Monthar
Emperor

The civ voting on the invasion may be planning to build the GW and are waiting to place the tipping vote until they have the GW. That is, if they are organized enough to do this. So just because you have the GW now, don't assume that means you're invulnerable. You should still build up your troops, especially those with a high defense rating.
Old Aug 02, 2011, 08:15 AM   #12
Cuhulainn
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monthar View Post
The civ voting on the invasion may be planning to build the GW and are waiting to place the tipping vote until they have the GW. That is, if they are organized enough to do this. So just because you have the GW now, don't assume that means you're invulnerable. You should still build up your troops, especially those with a high defense rating.
This is true, as I did manage to invade a civ that had the Great Wall in my last game.. We stole the wall just minutes before passing the vote to invade. It took me forever to coordinate it in my civ which didn't communicate very well, but it can certainly be done. They were totally unprepared and we crushed them.
Cuhulainn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2011, 06:41 PM   #13
JSwartz0181
Chieftain

Well, that's what I was worried about, but that proved to not be the case. I was just curious as to whether having it would disable the vote entirely or not.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 07:55 PM   #14
ChristineM
Chieftain

What is the deal with the Great Wall? How many times can other civs make "better" GWs and void yours? I've seen it at least once, and I swear, twice. How many "upgrades" are there to the GW wonder? So, you make a 3-card GW wonder. Another civ makes a 4-card GW wonder and yours goes away. How many times can the GW wonder be "voided' by another civ?
ChristineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:37 AM   #15
Monthar
Emperor

All wonders can be rebuilt infinitely unless it is a wonder that goes obsolete. The max number of great people a wonder will ever need is 6. The great wall never goes obsolete.