Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - General Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:01 PM   #281
D712
His Imperial Majesty
 
D712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 496
Any confirmation of if this will be out at midnight of what? It's kinda important >.<
__________________
City States = HOLY LAND
D712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:39 PM   #282
JWAT44
Prince
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberfrog View Post
I purely meant Welsh as a language, seeing as it is a Brythonic Celtic language, and thus closer to what Boudica would have spoken, in the event they make her the leader. Welsh is still spoken today in North Wales, where it's undergoing quite a successful resurgence and is actively taught in schools.

I would prefer a Gaelic Celtic civ (preferably called either Ireland or Scotland a la Denmark) simply because I'm not a fan of too much overlap. At present, Ireland and Scotland are only represented by city-states, whereas Britain and Gaul are pretty well covered by the French and English civs. As I mentioned earlier it would also give greater time span for UU/UB/UAs.

But as cfkane says, less Eurocentricity seems to be the thing, and you can't get less overlap than bringing in the Zulus or the like.
what other leaders could they have for the celts besides boudica and brennus?
__________________
Economic Left/Right: 9.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.18
JWAT44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:47 PM   #283
thunderbeast
Chieftain
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingoworld View Post
Thanks for that.

But Believe me I knew about this place. I bet all Koreans do.

I just didn't know it'd be translated to "Jade Hall" in English.
In Korean we call it "집현전"(Geep-Hyun-Geon). Which means, "A Place where the smart gather"

Granted, if it stated the 'Scholars of Geep-Hyun-Geon', no one but Koreans would understand it, but still...I don't see how this can be translated into "Jade Hall".
Nope. Actually, Jade hall is not Jip-hyeon-jeon. It's Hong-mun-gwan.
(And "Palace of gathered wisdom" is more close. Well, not so different... XD)

Hong-mun-gwan has several nick names. And one of them is Ok-dang.
"Ok-dang" means "Jade hall". (now you know.)



Historically, After Great king Se-jong, there was royal fight.
Se-jong gave his crown to his first son, Mun-jong. But he died early, so Dan-jong became king.
During these days, Scholars of Jip-hyeon-jeon fully supported their young king, Dan-jong. (who is grand son of Se-jong)

But his powerful and greedy uncle, Se-jo claimed the throne.
Aftermath of this treason, Jip-hyeon-jeon had been shut. (And many scholars were executed or exiled.)

However, the role of Jip-hyeon-jeon was very important in governance system. Its role still survived in other government organization.
( What was that role? King's Policy adviser, and also Morality teacher. )

During Sung-jong (who is grandson of Se-jo) decided to rebuild Jip-hyeon-jeon.
But it means breaking the late king's order and damaging his grandfather's honor.
He couldn't use that name again, so he combined its role to another organization, Hong-mun-gwan. Before, Hong-mun-gwan was just king's library.

Nickname Ok-dang (= Jade hall) was given after this to Hong-mun-gwan
( Traditionally, Ok(=Jade) express very precious treasure in Korea and China. )



Western historians dose not much care about this kind of local history stream.
I think this name(Jade hall) is just used for easy translation. (and it looks like more cool~ =D, isn't it?)

Last edited by thunderbeast; Aug 10, 2011 at 10:17 PM.
thunderbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:57 PM   #284
lingoworld
Chieftain
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbeast View Post

Hong-mun-gwan has several nick names. And one of them is Ok-dang.
"Ok-dang" means "Jade hall". (now you know.)

(The reason I thought Jade Hall meant jip-hyeon-jeon was because it was used like that in here; http://scholarship.kyungginy.org/spe...ngminkang.html)

but anyhow, Mystery solved! Thanks
lingoworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:20 PM   #285
Menzies
Emperor
 
Menzies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,748
I'd again point out that the more common translation of 집현전 is Hall of worthies from my own reading.

Annoyingly enough 집현전 can also be romanised as Cheep-Hyeon-Jeon which is something like how I remember hearing it the first time.
__________________
The man said ,"I wouldn’t vote for you if you were the Archangel Gabriel", to which Menzies replied "If I were the Archangel Gabriel, I’m afraid you wouldn’t be in my constituency".
Menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:58 PM   #286
agoodfella
Prince
 
agoodfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 591
Does anyone have a list of which DLC Civs have UBs? Kinda sucks that Korea doesn't have one like they did in Civ IV.
agoodfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:00 AM   #287
Pouakai
Tangaroa

 
Pouakai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Republic of New Zealand
Posts: 5,944
Here is the list:







Yep, no DLC civs have UB. However, Inca has a Terrace Farm UI (Unique improvement), and Polynesia has a Moai Statue UI
Pouakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:02 AM   #288
crossmr
Warlord
 
crossmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seoul, South Korea
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menzies View Post
I'd again point out that the more common translation of 집현전 is Hall of worthies from my own reading.

Annoyingly enough 집현전 can also be romanised as Cheep-Hyeon-Jeon which is something like how I remember hearing it the first time.
and I'd again point out that no, it can't, and there is no evidence to suggest it's ever been romanized as such.
집 has pretty much always been romanized as "jip"
crossmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:25 AM   #289
thunderbeast
Chieftain
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingoworld View Post
(The reason I thought Jade Hall meant jip-hyeon-jeon was because it was used like that in here; http://scholarship.kyungginy.org/spe...ngminkang.html)

but anyhow, Mystery solved! Thanks
Oh, sorry. It is not I want to say, you are wrong.
I just want to show, why Jip-huen-jeon translated to Jade hall, historically.

You are absolutely right in this DLC. IT IS Jip-huen-jeon. XD



Translation is a new creation. No one couldn't deliver its original meaning without describing its whole history.
If you can translate easy way (I mean simple words) but not exactly, it's a good option.

Like i said, Jade hall looks like more awesome. Then that's fine, I think.

and further, please don't try to argue with silly things like romanizing.
Every people has different ears and lips. Romanizing rule is not that solid.
(Or, just use the GOOGLE translation service. (KOREAN > ENGLISH) Like I did... XD)

Last edited by thunderbeast; Aug 11, 2011 at 12:39 AM.
thunderbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:38 AM   #290
Menzies
Emperor
 
Menzies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossmr View Post
and I'd again point out that no, it can't, and there is no evidence to suggest it's ever been romanized as such.
집 has pretty much always been romanized as "jip"
Actually under a few systems ㅈ as ch. Under these systems generally ㅊ is denoted as ch' or in some other manner. ㅣcan be romanised in a few ways depending on which romanisation you use. Using 'i' is common in most modern romanisations, however for the sake of clarity of the sound I used 'ee' in this case. I was thinking of the McCune–Reischauer romanisation of it which is Chiphyŏnjŏn however Chiphyeonjeon is also used.

So yeah, romanising it as: Cheep-Hyeon-Jeon was meant to be closer to how it should sound, however you're damn right that 'i' should be used instead of 'i'. However I thought as the vast majority of people here would read that has 'Chip' as in a bag of Chips I chose 'ee' instead. The issue with the ch/j is a more interesting point, but I chose ch over j as it shouldn't be so voiced, but again it isn't exactly a ch or a j sound as such. That's why some romanisations have an initial ㅈ as ch. Getting Korean sounds into English is very annoying. But yeah, it should have been more like it sounded than just a strict romanisation.

It's like when people romanise Japanese or Chinese. The vast majority of people don't have a clue how to pronounce the Chinese surname Xič or if I wrote genki as in the Japanese I a lot of people would mangle them royally. I've heard Xič pronounced normally by people (in Australia) as "Zee" and as surprising as hearing 元気 might be I've heard it pronounced (by someone who had just starting studying japanese) as "Geenk-I" (like the literal word I).
__________________
The man said ,"I wouldn’t vote for you if you were the Archangel Gabriel", to which Menzies replied "If I were the Archangel Gabriel, I’m afraid you wouldn’t be in my constituency".
Menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:52 AM   #291
The_J
Say No 2 Net Validations
 
The_J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Germany / Netherlands
Posts: 28,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by D712 View Post
Any confirmation of if this will be out at midnight of what? It's kinda important >.<
I'm expecting the DLC at 3 - 4 p.m west coast, at least that has been the normal time for the last releases.
__________________
Civ4-BtS-Mod "Mars, Now!"


Steam eats the souls of little gamers!!!
The_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 04:03 AM   #292
Lose
King
 
Lose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_J View Post
I'm expecting the DLC at 3 - 4 p.m west coast, at least that has been the normal time for the last releases.
last few DLC's unlocked for me @ 1:00PM eastern.
Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 04:04 AM   #293
civnoob13
King
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by seniyajw View Post
I think the DLC is cheap compared to the pleasure with her. A book takes about ten hours and costs twice the amount of DLC. Therefore, the value of the DLC should be given.

A DLC is just a small addition to the game. If you'd like to play with just the DLC additions and nothing else, the game would be impossible. It's therefore invalid IMHO to compare it to a book, which gives you much more content instead of just a cheap add-on.

I want new features not yet another new civ. The wonders and Korea are the first non-map pack DLCs I'm not getting.
__________________
A police officer stops a physicist on the highway. "Do you know how fast you were going?" asks the cop. "No" replies the physicist "but I know exactly where I am!"
civnoob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 04:27 AM   #294
KingDynamo
Chieftain
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5
ㅈ can be written as ch sometimes, but only when it is the initial sound of a whole word. Someone above gave Busan/Pusan as an example, which is exactly what I'm saying here.

That said, I think the Korean government is trying to come up with a more unified Romanisation rule where you don't write voiceless consonants when voiced consonants are used word-initially. For those of you who aren't linguistically minded, I'm just simply saying Busan, not Pusan; and Jiphyeonjeon, not Chiphyeonjeon. (Nowadays especially, no one writes Pusan anymore, it's always Busan.)

But yeah, I'm not entirely sure with what's going on with the whole bringing in new Romanisation rule business. It used to be the case where some people in Korea would write Pusan and others would write Busan. (vice versa with other such words.) Having just one rule to follow would make things a lot simpler I think.



You guys forgot one of the main interpretations for the letter 賢 which is "wise". I think most Koreans reading that letter would think "wise" - I for one, definitely do. So with regards to this new opinion I'd say the correct translation of Jiphyeonjeon would be "Hall of the Wise". But as some people mentioned, there apparently is already an official English translation and well, I can't argue with that can I? :P
KingDynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 04:51 AM   #295
Lose
King
 
Lose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 332
was the starting bias mentioned for Korea?? Im assuming coastal..
Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:04 AM   #296
Menzies
Emperor
 
Menzies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDynamo View Post
ㅈ can be written as ch sometimes, but only when it is the initial sound of a whole word. Someone above gave Busan/Pusan as an example, which is exactly what I'm saying here.

That said, I think the Korean government is trying to come up with a more unified Romanisation rule where you don't write voiceless consonants when voiced consonants are used word-initially. For those of you who aren't linguistically minded, I'm just simply saying Busan, not Pusan; and Jiphyeonjeon, not Chiphyeonjeon. (Nowadays especially, no one writes Pusan anymore, it's always Busan.)

But yeah, I'm not entirely sure with what's going on with the whole bringing in new Romanisation rule business. It used to be the case where some people in Korea would write Pusan and others would write Busan. (vice versa with other such words.) Having just one rule to follow would make things a lot simpler I think.



You guys forgot one of the main interpretations for the letter 賢 which is "wise". I think most Koreans reading that letter would think "wise" - I for one, definitely do. So with regards to this new opinion I'd say the correct translation of Jiphyeonjeon would be "Hall of the Wise". But as some people mentioned, there apparently is already an official English translation and well, I can't argue with that can I? :P
The issue is that it just doesn't romanise right and unlike Japanese there isn't a clear distinction in Hanguel between voiced and unvoiced and rather it comes about from where the syllable is. The fact that the sounds don't exactly translate into the Latin sounds very well certainly doesn't help.

But yeah...

Also, for those familiar with the IPA it would be something like:

집현전 - dʑiphjʌndʑʌn

I think...
__________________
The man said ,"I wouldn’t vote for you if you were the Archangel Gabriel", to which Menzies replied "If I were the Archangel Gabriel, I’m afraid you wouldn’t be in my constituency".
Menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:45 AM   #297
The_J
Say No 2 Net Validations
 
The_J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Germany / Netherlands
Posts: 28,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostz View Post
last few DLC's unlocked for me @ 1:00PM eastern.
mmhh...i think this was only the last one .
__________________
Civ4-BtS-Mod "Mars, Now!"


Steam eats the souls of little gamers!!!
The_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:18 AM   #298
Rub'Rum
Hates acronyms
 
Rub'Rum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Québec
Posts: 4,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by seniyajw View Post
A book takes about ten hours and costs twice the amount of DLC. Therefore, the value of the DLC should be given.
Yeah, writing a book from scratch, editing, finding a publisher, printer, marketing, etc. That sure compares to a few graphics and lines of codes in a pre-existing game.
Rub'Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:30 AM   #299
ShahJahanII
Homesick Alien
 
ShahJahanII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_J View Post
mmhh...i think this was only the last one .
We are talking about the East Coast of the U.S. here.
ShahJahanII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:01 AM   #300
ShahJahanII
Homesick Alien
 
ShahJahanII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostz View Post
was the starting bias mentioned for Korea?? Im assuming coastal..
Well lets look at what we already have:
DLC's

Coastal Bias: England, Denmark, Polynesia, Korea Ottomans?

And what time will this be out?

Last edited by ShahJahanII; Aug 11, 2011 at 08:30 AM.
ShahJahanII is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Go Back Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - General Discussions > Korea and Ancient Wonders DLC Video!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Advertisement

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site is copyright © Civilization Fanatics' Center.
Support CFC: Amazon.com | Amazon UK | Amazon DE | Amazon CA | Amazon FR