NiGHTS: Bug Reports

Only have your mod, but I am playing with rampaging barbarians turned on. With that on the AI always does that weird thing where they just sit their ships next to the barb camps and kill them as they spawn, so I guess with that UA the Ottoman AI accidentally creates a ridiculously large early game fleet that tanks their happiness and gold. I had a pointiest sticks list pop up about a dozen or so turns later and I was at ~800 (with a dozen swordsmen) and he was at ~3700 (mostly just from those weak ships). Not that those ships are a threat even at those numbers, but the funny thing was the Korea AI tried to keep up and made like 20 turtle ships, crashed his economy and happiness too.

Only have your mod, but I am playing with rampaging barbarians turned on. With that on the AI always does that weird thing where they just sit their ships next to the barb camps and kill them as they spawn, so I guess with that UA the Ottoman AI accidentally creates a ridiculously large early game fleet that tanks their happiness and gold. I had a pointiest sticks list pop up about a dozen or so turns later and I was at ~800 (with a dozen swordsmen) and he was at ~3700 (mostly just from those weak ships). Not that those ships are a threat even at those numbers, but the funny thing was the Korea AI tried to keep up and made like 20 turtle ships, crashed his economy and happiness too.

Okay - I feel a little better knowing this is most likely isolated to raging barbs, (and requires the Ottomans in a game). but still - it'll be reduced to 50% in the next update, (so something will be boosted/granted in compensation). :crazyeye:

Thanks again for spotting this.

I am playing 11.7 as Roman, Continents, Prince, Epic and noticed a couple of bugs.

1) I conquered Greece, and 15 or so turns later one of the CS had its alliance swapped to Greece and declared war on me :)
Obviously Greece didn't declare war as it no longer showed up as an AI player

2) An allied CS gave me 2 units on 1 turn. One was a Crossbowman and the other was a Great Artist (I had the relevant social policy unlocked for occasional great person gifts).

Do you still get workers from goody huts? I haven't seen one for a while.

I'm having great fun playing this Marcus - many thanks for your time and efforts.

Also, do you delete those xmls straight from the mod, or from your vanilla files? I would assume doing the latter would cause crashes.

Hey,

I remove all AIGrandStrategy_Flavors (except for conquest) from both "CIV5AIGrandStrategies.xml" (vanilla) as well as the updated flavors from "Strategies.xml" (nights). According to Shafers comments in "CIV5AIGrandStrategies.xml" this is safe:

---
<!-- Entries can be completely removed safely if you don't want the AI -->
<!-- to pursue a particular Grand Strategy/Victory -->
<!-- Competition.
---

This never ever caused a problem though but I started a new game without those modifications to double-check.

Hey,

I remove all AIGrandStrategy_Flavors (except for conquest) from both "CIV5AIGrandStrategies.xml" (vanilla) as well as the updated flavors from "Strategies.xml" (nights). According to Shafers comments in "CIV5AIGrandStrategies.xml" this is safe:

---
<!-- Entries can be completely removed safely if you don't want the AI -->
<!-- to pursue a particular Grand Strategy/Victory -->
<!-- Competition.
---

This never ever caused a problem though but I started a new game without those modifications to double-check.

They can be safely removed, yes - but it all depends on how you remove them. If you straight up delete them from your core files, there'll probably be bugs - while if you mod them out, (deleting/disabling them), you'll be fine - provided I don't mod them as well, (which I do), which will result in crashes and/or bugs. But if nothing ever happened before, then it would seem strange that now there would crashes.

Perhaps try what Huck Finn did, where he followed all the install instructions, then loaded up a game without mods, then backtracked and loaded up a game with mods.

That was a quick alliance :p

Vanilla Civ V just with NiGHTS.

Yep - this can happen, and it's more likely to happen the more AI you have in any given game. The game loops over and performs all of the AI's turns in order, and multiple AI could be bidding for the same CS in this situation. There's numerous other situations that could cause something like this to happen, defensive pact wars, trespassing, policies being adopted that quickly lower influence drops - the list goes on and on.

Yep - this can happen, and it's more likely to happen the more AI you have in any given game. The game loops over and performs all of the AI's turns in order, and multiple AI could be bidding for the same CS in this situation. There's numerous other situations that could cause something like this to happen, defensive pact wars, trespassing, policies being adopted that quickly lower influence drops - the list goes on and on.

Aah, fair enough. Another one of Civ V's quirks :p

The Piety policy that gives +5 happiness to cathedrals doesn't appear to work.

The Piety policy that gives +5 happiness to cathedrals doesn't appear to work.

You're right - it's actually giving +1 happiness to universities (an old policy)... :crazyeye: Thanks for finding this - will be fixed for this weekend's release. Hopefully this didn't throw your game off to far.

Nah, honestly it would have doubled my army as soon as I got it, but that would have been overkill anyway. :p

I seem to be getting the '+25% bonus vs barbarians' even though I haven't taken the Honor opener. This has happened in both my Arabia and Rome game.

The Iroquois longhouse does not give the +3 production bonus for forest tiles - it seems that the bonus is set to 0 in line 1638 of the unique_buildings.xml file. As a quick note: +3 may also be overpowered for building early wonders if one starts with a good amount of forests.

The Iroquois longhouse does not give the +3 production bonus for forest tiles - it seems that the bonus is set to 0 in line 1638 of the unique_buildings.xml file. As a quick note: +3 may also be overpowered for building early wonders if one starts with a good amount of forests.

You're right - missed this one when I boosted UB's in v11.7. It's strong - for sure, but if you do start off with a lot of forests you probably won't grow quickly enough to really make use of them for early wonders, and chopping the forests early on would probably put you on par with the amount of production you'd get from just using them as is. I'd say the main reason they their as strong as they are, is that the incentive for chopping is generally pretty high early on in games. Even at +2 per forest, (which is what the bonus originally was), I still found myself chopping early on for the instant production boost.

Good find though - this'll be fixed in v11.8. :)

Hi!

First time posting here.

I played your mod since a long time and I love it! :)
In the last updates, there is still a problem with the grenadiers (which is nice to have some range with guns at last...) but as they gain level, they have only choice for the melee upgrades, which I think is a bug.

I normally play the game on level 6, usually getting no difficulty beating the AI, in any kind of game, well, never been able to win by culture... seems that nobody is left before or the UN votes is done or the spaceship is constructed way before I can complete 5 complete branches... So perhaps there is something to be done with this...

Also, I find the hospitallers knight just too overpowered compared to anything, as they keep their cannibalism upgrade as you upgrade them to better unit. Last time, I was having 3 hospitallers upgraded to a modern armor tank with blitz... well... this was just... overpowered, and I cant imagine a chinese one on golden age. With proper bomber fleet, you could probably with 1 tank, get 3 cities per turn...

Also, even on level 6 difficulty, I normally keep myself on golden age for more than half the time, with the proper wonder and policies... even with the last tweak to it...

But, all in all, I way prefer this game under your amazing mode!!!

Keep the good work!

I just started playing the game with this mod and it seems to be a great one. Good job on creating it and an outstanding effort on maintaining & supporting it like this.

I haven't gotten very far into it yet and that's due to a minor difficulty, but very annoying - at least for me. I would like to apologize beforehand tho if these issues were mentioned before on this thread.

1. I don't see the 'close' button on the tech tree screen. I work around it by pressing 'ESC'.
2. Not all the information at the edges of the 'Policies' screen are visible.

Like I said, I haven't spent much time on this mod yet but will surely keep u updated with any other issues I may find.

Keep keeping on, dude. :)

Hi!

First time posting here.

I played your mod since a long time and I love it! :)
In the last updates, there is still a problem with the grenadiers (which is nice to have some range with guns at last...) but as they gain level, they have only choice for the melee upgrades, which I think is a bug.

I normally play the game on level 6, usually getting no difficulty beating the AI, in any kind of game, well, never been able to win by culture... seems that nobody is left before or the UN votes is done or the spaceship is constructed way before I can complete 5 complete branches... So perhaps there is something to be done with this...

Also, I find the hospitallers knight just too overpowered compared to anything, as they keep their cannibalism upgrade as you upgrade them to better unit. Last time, I was having 3 hospitallers upgraded to a modern armor tank with blitz... well... this was just... overpowered, and I cant imagine a chinese one on golden age. With proper bomber fleet, you could probably with 1 tank, get 3 cities per turn...

Also, even on level 6 difficulty, I normally keep myself on golden age for more than half the time, with the proper wonder and policies... even with the last tweak to it...

But, all in all, I way prefer this game under your amazing mode!!!

Keep the good work!

You're right - they're currently getting gunpowderclass promotions - this'll be switched to ranged promotions in the next update. As for culture wins, they're not actually active in the mod, (ie you can't win a game through culture). This was done in order to open up the various branches at the start of the game - as I didn't like the idea of forcing players down limited paths. I'd like the policies/branches to encourage customization/experimentation - and culture victories in their vanilla form just don't offer that.

Good point on the H. Knights - it's been brought up before, and I'll be removing this specific promotion when they're upgraded. Golden Ages will be addressed as well to limit their frequency.

Glad you're enjoying it and thanks for the feedback. :)

I just started playing the game with this mod and it seems to be a great one. Good job on creating it and an outstanding effort on maintaining & supporting it like this.

I haven't gotten very far into it yet and that's due to a minor difficulty, but very annoying - at least for me. I would like to apologize beforehand tho if these issues were mentioned before on this thread.

1. I don't see the 'close' button on the tech tree screen. I work around it by pressing 'ESC'.
2. Not all the information at the edges of the 'Policies' screen are visible.

Like I said, I haven't spent much time on this mod yet but will surely keep u updated with any other issues I may find.

Keep keeping on, dude. :)

Both the close button and the sides of the policy screen being obscured are caused by your resolution, (as you'll need to increase it in order to see everything properly). This isn't a bug or anything, just an oversight on my part when I initially designed the various screens. :crazyeye:

Both the close button and the sides of the policy screen being obscured are caused by your resolution, (as you'll need to increase it in order to see everything properly). This isn't a bug or anything, just an oversight on my part when I initially designed the various screens. :crazyeye:

I'm running the game on my laptop at the moment as my pc is incapable of handling it very well right now. As such, the maximum resolution I can run the game at is 1366x768, which is what I'm using.

Any chance of a future fix for that? I'm sure you've got "bigger fish to fry" than an issue which doesn't have much, if any, impact on the gameplay but it would give me peace of mind :)

I'm running the game on my laptop at the moment as my pc is incapable of handling it very well right now. As such, the maximum resolution I can run the game at is 1366x768, which is what I'm using.

Any chance of a future fix for that? I'm sure you've got "bigger fish to fry" than an issue which doesn't have much, if any, impact on the gameplay but it would give me peace of mind :)

This is more or less my thinking. When designing the mod, I didn't really take laptops into account... :crazyeye: I do plan on eventually releasing a version that'll fit on lower resolutions, but it'll be down the road when the mod is basically complete, (as there's quite a bit of photoshop work involved in tweaking the UI).

Top Bottom