Resource icon

[vanilla] Civ5 Acronyms and Terms (vanilla)

binhthuy71

Emperor
binhthuy71 submitted a new resource:

Civ5 Acronyms and Terms - Civ5 Acronyms and Terms

Civ V List of Acronyms and Terms

Here's your War Academy List of Civilization V acronyms and terms. Hopefully, it will help us all get a handle on the myriad of terms that we in the CivFanatics community love to use. This is a work in progress. Please feel free to suggest new items in the comments and I'll...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I'm embarrassed. The Civ V List of Acronyms and Terms is not completely my creation by any means. It did not spring from my forehead as did Athena from the forehead of Zeus. The list wouldn't be what it is without the help of (In no particular order) Pouakai, The_J, vexing, and Camikaze. I did the footwork, those mentioned made it shine.

Merci beaucoup! (Thanks a lot!). For strangers it is often a pain to try to guess what the damned abbreviations mean on this forum!

You forgot GS! And that OP can also mean "opening post(er)".
Other than that, it would be nice if you noted which meaning is more common for acronyms that have more than one. For example, GL usually refers to Great Library, and rarely to Great Lighthouse.

Anyway, thanks for this! I remember having a lot of trouble understanding the posts here until I read the equivalent for Civ IV, so I guess this will help a lot of people (As long as they find this sub-forum).
As an aside, this post should be stickied, since it helps understand every other post, and helps newcomers the most.

I tend to use GL for Great Library and GLH for Great Lighthouse to avoid the confusion.

Some more off the top of my head

GP = Gunpowder
TW = The Wheel

GPP = great person points

AW = Ankor Wat

Agree GLH is the common one for Lighthouse Wonder I have seen

Added GLH for Great Lighthouse per shaglio.
Added iFinnem's suggestions:
GP = Gunpowder
TW = The Wheel
GPP = great person points
AW = Ankor Wat
Agree GLH is the common one for Lighthouse Wonder I have seen.

Updated both this version and the War Academy Discussion version.

I've added in a section about a new abbreviation expander utility that would be useful for those wanting to quickly and easily discern the meaning of an abbreviation. Check ABBREX out here and here. :)

Top Bottom