[RFC:E] . The Roman Emperors

Byzantium is the first civ I always play to test the new RFCE Betas. Speaking of which - there is a sad stability bug that can allow you to run -40 stability and have no single revolt, much less collapsing :( ... But you can use it to your favor and recreate Justinian's conquest AND defend your original empire. Horse Archers is the first tech you wonna tech, btw

Anastasius, | nearing his end, | sent for his nephews three,
And under one of three couches, | carefully hid | a letter to he who would follow.
The first strode proudly, | sure of God's blessing, | to the seat which faced his Basileus;
But to not one of them | was the message ordained: | the second and third clove unmanly.

Before the sun rose, | devout Anastasius, | went to the Father contritely:
The plans of men | go often against | the furrows which Heaven has planted.
Resolved he became | at the first light of day | to allow the Spirit to bring him
The guardian of earth | who might under the Son | rule the Romans as Iustinos Alpha.
A popular 6th-century verse depicting the succession from Anastasius I to the Royal Guard commander Justin I.

(Below, from the thankfully few remaining fragments of the overbearing anonymous historian of Hadrianopolis.)

Justin I, the rustic valorous Dardanian, faithful servant of God, by his fervour and his love for the common man, roused the Roman army, few but strong, in the defence against the Sassanid raids of the east. By the grace of God he had the foresight to dispatch the 2nd Thraki Tourma (a regiment of spearman) to meet this threat, and on hearing that such aid was granted them from Constantinopolis herself, the archers of Aleppo, where the lancer's raids were most terrifying, took heart and kept watch through each night and into the dawn, and vanquished the godless riders, though the iron mines to their southeast could not be so saved. They were honoured with the title 'Eastern Defenders' for their devotion and bravery.

The Aleppo archers (the 'Eastern Defenders') hold off the Sassanids at Aleppo.

With the wisdom that the Spirit had annointed him, Justin I met the threats on the northwest frontier as well, by deploying the Tourmata in camps spaced between the great cities, so that the townspeople and farmers and miners alike could, in security, go about their toil and worship.

The line of defence from Thrace to Macedonia.

Our dear Emperor, a model of humble ecumenism, also assented to meet with the emissaries from the wayward Pope of Roma. The free passage of merchants, ships, and even armed regiments, was reciprocally declared in 524.

Relations with the Pope of Roma.

As the threat of eastern horsemen, emissaries of the Evil One himself, became ever more clear, Justin I prayerfully considered the plans for the security of Anatolia, Syria, and Palestine. With the opening again of the stone quarries of Alexandria, he sent out orders for the walls of Tyre to be begun. He also met with his trusted Armenian advisor Tigranes, who was moved by the Spirit to advocate that substantial investments be directed towards the development of the stirrup, to match the horsemanship of the Sassanid invaders.

The Empire at 524:
Stable. State religion: Christianity.
Treasury: 868 million solidi. Total commerce: 164.
Tax income: 46, Research: 100, Espionage: 18.
Expenses: 68 (Military maintenance: 17, Military supply: 1, City maintenance: 7, Civic maintenance: 43).

thecaesar: I do hope that I don't die too soon, but I would like to make use of the Theodosian walls, though. I can probably rest assured of that.

Civ'ed: Venezia? Never heard of it.

Tigranes: Thanks for the advice, which you can see I took up.

I'm not sure if you want to know this it'll tell a little bit about Venezia

Spoiler :
Venezia (Venice) will spawn to your west and will settle the Adriatic coast

thecaesar: I do hope that I don't die too soon, but I would like to make use of the Theodosian walls, though. I can probably rest assured of that.

I meant Venice, beware, as soon as a crusade starts with them kicking around they will no longer care about Arabia but about YOU.

I meant Venice, beware, as soon as a crusade starts with them kicking around they will no longer care about Arabia but about YOU.

Thanks, but what I meant was that my 6th-century emperors have never heard of Venezia, so... I'm not going to worry about it. Nor the Bulgarians. Nor the Turks. Perhaps its suicidal role-playing, but that's what I'll do.

You would probably know about the Turks even if you are playing in character, they were about for quite a while ever building in strength.

Great update.

Awesome Update! Keep up the good work!

It was historical... but you replied to it by replying to Civ'ed :)

Thanks, but what I meant was that my 6th-century emperors have never heard of Venezia, so... I'm not going to worry about it. Nor the Bulgarians. Nor the Turks. Perhaps its suicidal role-playing, but that's what I'll do.

EDIT: well actually, mine was more about their settling behaviour (limited though)

Awesome Update :goodjob:

One question though, are you in Orthodox Christianity or Catholic Christianity?

Thank you! Many Armenians actually rose to the rank of Emperors ;)

Pope always trades Manorialism -- one of the few things he can actually benefit you with. I also discovered that AI Byzantium actually gets all the bad effects of low stability -- perhaps I was lucky or the bug affects human player only...

What are your ships doing? You don't plan to reclaim Western Rome, do you :p?

Sassanids are actually nerfed in Beta 13. They used to be horse archers -- and Spearman had less bonus against them.

Soon after you discover Stirrup you would be able to hire some Avar Archers. I won't tell more, but Sassanid Barbarians are preparing a very nasty surprise for you...

One question though, are you in Orthodox Christianity or Catholic Christianity?

The two had not really acknowledged a split yet, and the differences were still quite slight. So I will continue to call 'my' religion 'Christianity'. If we have issues with the Catholics, I will call them 'the Roman church' or something like that to distinguish them.

Thank you! Many Armenians actually rose to the rank of Emperors ;)

Pope always trades Manorialism -- one of the few things he can actually benefit you with. I also discovered that AI Byzantium actually gets all the bad effects of low stability -- perhaps I was lucky or the bug affects human player only...

What are your ships doing? You don't plan to reclaim Western Rome, do you :p?

Sassanids are actually nerfed in Beta 13. They used to be horse archers -- and Spearman had less bonus against them.

Soon after you discover Stirrup you would be able to hire some Avar Archers. I won't tell more, but Sassanid Barbarians are preparing a very nasty surprise for you...

Armenians always welcome (unless they turn up as barbs).

I wasted 4 turns on Manorialism then. And so i guess the Pope won't be of much use to me, and I can't even take his land and banish him to France (if I understand correctly). I may take back some of the Western lands, though, but just the good bits, and slowly (my Emperors, so far, are a cautious bunch).

Looking forward to the Sassanid surge.

Byzantium is the first civ I always play to test the new RFCE Betas. Speaking of which - there is a sad stability bug that can allow you to run -40 stability and have no single revolt, much less collapsing :( ... But you can use it to your favor and recreate Justinian's conquest AND defend your original empire. Horse Archers is the first tech you wonna tech, btw

It's the Byzantine UP, which works for cities within the core area.

Top Bottom