Orbis Uploaded to Filefront

poodieneutron

Chieftain
Cheers mates!

mod file

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20968883/OrbisSetup.exe

soundtrack

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20968961/OrbisSoundtrack.exe

My apologies to Ahwaric the mod creator. I know he want's to create a sequel for Civ V. I hope he doesn't mind me reposting the files. I have really enjoyed his mod. It deserves to be played if new players want to try it. It seems like Firaxis may never open the dll code for Civ V, so we may never see awesome mods like FFH2, Fall Further, RiFE, MoM, and Orbis coming out for it. Oh yeah - more Naval AI mod for FFH is awesome too - better than the Civ V ai. Thanks to all the mod creators!

Well said. Heh, almost feel tempted to upload my Orbis modmods now. Though I doubt anyone would find them interesting. I wonder what kind of things people would want to have improved in Orbis?

My own pet peeve was that the minor leaders where so bland that I felt like they could use some unique traits. And then Malakim needed some upgrading. Then the Troll units didn't feel right... Well you know how it goes. It's so easy to make xml edits so suddenly you've added a whole lot things.

well said. Heh, almost feel tempted to upload my orbis modmods now. Though i doubt anyone would find them interesting. I wonder what kind of things people would want to have improved in orbis?

ai...

Wauthan, what modmods do you have in mind?

Nothing much really. Modding Civ 4 is incredibly frustrating, at least compared to other games I like to mod, and I have a lot of respect for the guys that have the stamina to create entire modpacks. And I'm not even touching Python for fear of messing the entire mod up.

First thing I changed, as usual, was the Malakim auto-spread of desert terrain, since that never made any sense to me. Upgraded their special improvement to be better worth the wait, and a viable alternative to cottaging.

Tried to improve the animals, since I don't like the "Animal strength grows with age". But I haven't figured out anything better than brining back the Wolf Pack and Lion Pride so far. There's just no graphics to use. Lowered the strength of the Sea Serpents down to 4. Also rebalanced the animal totem promotions to be way less powerful. Made Trolls spawn from Lairs instead from the swamps. Lizardmen are civilized in Orbis after all so it makes little sense to have those spawn.

Tried to bring back as many unique leader traits from LENA as I could, but simply added these to the minor leaders rather than bring back all the new leaders of that modmod.

Tried to figure out a way to bring the Gnolls from LENA back as well. Currently replacing the Hillgiants in the Steading improvements. Dislike the "victory converts unit into new unit" but I have no idea how to make an improvement spawn many different kinds of units. Like the Goblin fort currently does.

Tried to make all resources used by the guilds, so there are no redundant surplus resources.

Made Slaves upgradeable into Warriors, since the AI never used them for much and I wanted a "good" alternative for using these units..

So nothing much at all, just some simple tweaks to remove some pet peeces. Would love to replace the boring Skeletons spawning from the Barrows with the neat Astrikah units from Master of Mana. Heck, there's a lot of neat features I would like to import from that mod, as well as RiFE, while trying to keep true to the Orbis theme. The Events and Lair exploration results could use a bit of tinkering as well, since they are fairly repetitive right now.

But I simply don't have the time to learn how to do anything else but xml editing. And that is frustrating enough as it is, since I get a lot of very unexpected errors every time I change something. No wonder Ahwaric was so tired all the time.

And that is frustrating enough as it is, since I get a lot of very unexpected errors every time I change something.

actually, after some time you already know what could throw an error and it gets easier over time

Nothing much really. Modding Civ 4 is incredibly frustrating, at least compared to other games I like to mod, and I have a lot of respect for the guys that have the stamina to create entire modpacks. And I'm not even touching Python for fear of messing the entire mod up.

First thing I changed, as usual, was the Malakim auto-spread of desert terrain, since that never made any sense to me. Upgraded their special improvement to be better worth the wait, and a viable alternative to cottaging.

Tried to improve the animals, since I don't like the "Animal strength grows with age". But I haven't figured out anything better than brining back the Wolf Pack and Lion Pride so far. There's just no graphics to use. Lowered the strength of the Sea Serpents down to 4. Also rebalanced the animal totem promotions to be way less powerful. Made Trolls spawn from Lairs instead from the swamps. Lizardmen are civilized in Orbis after all so it makes little sense to have those spawn.

Tried to bring back as many unique leader traits from LENA as I could, but simply added these to the minor leaders rather than bring back all the new leaders of that modmod.

Tried to figure out a way to bring the Gnolls from LENA back as well. Currently replacing the Hillgiants in the Steading improvements. Dislike the "victory converts unit into new unit" but I have no idea how to make an improvement spawn many different kinds of units. Like the Goblin fort currently does.

Tried to make all resources used by the guilds, so there are no redundant surplus resources.

Made Slaves upgradeable into Warriors, since the AI never used them for much and I wanted a "good" alternative for using these units..

So nothing much at all, just some simple tweaks to remove some pet peeces. Would love to replace the boring Skeletons spawning from the Barrows with the neat Astrikah units from Master of Mana. Heck, there's a lot of neat features I would like to import from that mod, as well as RiFE, while trying to keep true to the Orbis theme. The Events and Lair exploration results could use a bit of tinkering as well, since they are fairly repetitive right now.

But I simply don't have the time to learn how to do anything else but xml editing. And that is frustrating enough as it is, since I get a lot of very unexpected errors every time I change something. No wonder Ahwaric was so tired all the time.

Ok, I see. So, mostly balancing features + added leaders.
It is sure worth doing, but I would not be interested in playing such modmod, because I do not agree with some of the changes (I like anmals as they are, for example, and I think that power of totems is the only thing that makes Doviello balanced)

OTOH, adding new leaders (and maybe some other stuff) sounds good. I also like idea of every resource contributing to a guild - makes economical side of the game even better.

But, what the Orbis really needs, is a modmod that would make AI better...

Hm.. personally I have had the exact opposite experience. Yes, modding civ just takes a huge amount of time but compared to say Homeworld or Dawn of War that use LUA :eek: CIV4 is beautiful. With those you have to put extreme amount of effort into doing the smallest things like adding a new unit to the game (even without a new model). Here, you just pop open the .XML and have fun.

The only other game that was so nice to mod was Space Empires IV. You could literally do what ever you wanted with that game using only .txt and .bmp files.

Thanks alot for uploading. I was looking for the mod, I had it, but when laptop when screwy lost all the files. Just reinstalled Civ IV so I can play this again.

Greatly appreciated, thank you very much.

My apologies to Ahwaric the mod creator. I know he want's to create a sequel for Civ V. I hope he doesn't mind me reposting the files. I have really enjoyed his mod. It deserves to be played if new players want to try it. It seems like Firaxis may never open the dll code for Civ V, so we may never see awesome mods like FFH2, Fall Further, RiFE, MoM, and Orbis coming out for it. Oh yeah - more Naval AI mod for FFH is awesome too - better than the Civ V ai. Thanks to all the mod creators!

Apology accepted...
Just kidding ;)

In fact, I am the one that should apologize. For leaving so completly and not checking if the download is still where it should be. So, big THANKS poodieneutron!!!

Well said. Heh, almost feel tempted to upload my Orbis modmods now. Though I doubt anyone would find them interesting. I wonder what kind of things people would want to have improved in Orbis?

Feel free to do so. I do not mind modmodmods, In fact I would like to see some.
Regarding the changes the people would want to see in Orbis, that is the question I want to ask, too. Truth is, I've given up hope for Civ V getting moddable soon (well, it is moddable, but not the kind I would need it to). And I have mod that already works on a game I know how to mod (at least a bit).

So I decided to spent my spare time (as limited as it is) on new mod that uses Orbis as a base. I just miss modding and fantasy-style Civ experience so much that I need to do it. Now! (as in: start now, finish when possible)
I will post more on my ideas in another thread.

Many thanks for the upload! You saved my sanity, I think (at least, for a little while :lol:)

Would you kindly upload it to other hosting sites please?

I cannot download from filefront and VPNs are slow for me.

Yeah, the filefront download no longer works. Anyone able to upload it to another site?

as I said once or twice:
please direct me to a free "long-term" sharing website and I'll upload the orbis version I have (which is the current I think)

as I said once or twice:
please direct me to a free "long-term" sharing website and I'll upload the orbis version I have (which is the current I think)
What about MediaFire?

okay..
so here we go:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/exvzu7
it should be the exe for 1.0. 240+Mo
I won't join the audio file soon as it is 440+Mo.
I will also add the last patch soon, and the "dao" module and "elemental unity" module.

/hope it works

It's downloading correctly for me. Should work fine! :D

it seems the soundtrack is linked here but I didn't try to dl it.

Top Bottom