Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion

Notices

Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion Discuss Civ4 Hall of Fame related issues.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:19 PM   #1
jesusin
Ant
 
jesusin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Madrid
Posts: 4,135
Good EQM scores

When I want to get a 100 EQM score for a particular leader I have an easy way to do it: I look at the HOF table looking for a best cultural date that is particularly late. Then I play a cultural game with that leader in those settings and voilą, I have a 100 score for that leader. (Cultural is just an example, because it is a VC I feel particularly comfortable with).

However I am having difficulties with some games.
- Rock of Ages
- Time


For example, I play a Future conquest game winning around 2008AD. Then my EQM score for that game is almost zero, as someone has got a 3700BC conquest victory with the same settings (except that game was played on Ancient start, of course).

I don't know were or how to look for opportunities for an "easy" 100EQM score for Rock of Ages. Is there a way? How do you do it?



As for time, I find it boring so I'd like to play that from a future start and at Quick speed. Is there a way to play a fast Time game and get a good EQM score? What's your advice?


Thanks for any help you can provide.
__________________
Are you going to finish that?
jesusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:45 PM   #2
shulec
Grrrrr... I AM the force!
 
shulec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: No longer Chicago :(
Posts: 3,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusin View Post
When I want to get a 100 EQM score for a particular leader I have an easy way to do it: I look at the HOF table looking for a best cultural date that is particularly late. Then I play a cultural game with that leader in those settings and voilą, I have a 100 score for that leader. (Cultural is just an example, because it is a VC I feel particularly comfortable with).

However I am having difficulties with some games.
- Rock of Ages
- Time


For example, I play a Future conquest game winning around 2008AD. Then my EQM score for that game is almost zero, as someone has got a 3700BC conquest victory with the same settings (except that game was played on Ancient start, of course).

I don't know were or how to look for opportunities for an "easy" 100EQM score for Rock of Ages. Is there a way? How do you do it?



As for time, I find it boring so I'd like to play that from a future start and at Quick speed. Is there a way to play a fast Time game and get a good EQM score? What's your advice?


Thanks for any help you can provide.
Look at the Deity Standard to Huge map conquest, domination and time games. You can also go to Monarch - Deity EQM Rock Of Ages tab and look at the 100's (or 200's) there and start beating them.
__________________
Cubbies forever! (Guess I'll wait until 2013 never!);
Teach me and you. Give me a gem.

shulec will declare at friendly!
Civ IV Hall of Fame

Last edited by shulec; Oct 18, 2011 at 12:55 PM.
shulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:51 PM   #3
shulec
Grrrrr... I AM the force!
 
shulec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: No longer Chicago :(
Posts: 3,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusin View Post
As for time, I find it boring so I'd like to play that from a future start and at Quick speed.
EQM Time games must be ancient starts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusin View Post
Is there a way to play a fast Time game and get a good EQM score? What's your advice?
Nope! I generally see my game speeds to be faster than most others in any competition games, and my EQM Deity Time Game took 26 hours! Thank goodness I didn't trip domination or culture or have an unacceptable crash exception submission!
__________________
Cubbies forever! (Guess I'll wait until 2013 never!);
Teach me and you. Give me a gem.

shulec will declare at friendly!
Civ IV Hall of Fame

Last edited by shulec; Oct 18, 2011 at 01:09 PM.
shulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:03 PM   #4
Ozbenno
Fly Fly Away
 
Ozbenno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 10,668
One thing I looked at for getting good EQM scores was games that the best times were done using Inca, which is not considered for EQM. Using the Ad-Hoc query you can look at the best non_Inca time for a particular setting and beat that for 100.
Ozbenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 03:41 PM   #5
Sun Tzu Wu
Deity
 
Sun Tzu Wu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusin View Post
However I am having difficulties with some games.
- Rock of Ages
- Time
Use Quick speed for both Rock of Ages and Time:
  1. It is really hard to win an early Victory Condition on quick speed with the exception of Religious Leader Diplomatic Victory.
  2. Quick speed is the least painful one for both Rock of Ages -> Time Victory and Ancient Era -> Time Victories.
Use Time Victory for both (Rock of Ages and Time) to get 100 EQM score:
  1. Use Big and Small map plus Sid's Sushi.
  2. Tech to Future Era and get close to land domination for maximum score.
  3. Prevent all AI from winning any victory and win a Time Victory.
Good luck!

Sun Tzu Wu
Sun Tzu Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:10 AM   #6
jesusin
Ant
 
jesusin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Madrid
Posts: 4,135
Thanks all for your ideas.

There is a thing I don't understand completely yet about the Rock of Ages ruling.

1.- Is a Rock of Ages game able to win a #1 spot for Conquest, supposing nobody has sent a better date with an ancient start?

2.- Is there a 100 for the best Rock of Ages Conquest game, even if there are better ancient start conquest games, because Rock of Age games only compete against Rock of Ages games?

I don't know if I have made the most appropriate questions. I hope the source of my confusion is apparent enough.
__________________
Are you going to finish that?
jesusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:41 AM   #7
Sun Tzu Wu
Deity
 
Sun Tzu Wu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,929
Try HOF QScore Query. It shows both QM and EQM scores. Incan games get -- (nothing) for EQM. Here's an example:

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/tabl...ly=0&submit=Go

It does appear that it would need to have an Era selection to show Rock of Ages games other than Ancient Era. Currently, Rock of Ages games other than Ancient Era get 0.00 for EQM using this query method.

Sun Tzu Wu
Sun Tzu Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:45 AM   #8
cabert
Big mouth
 
cabert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: France
Posts: 7,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusin View Post
Thanks all for your ideas.

There is a thing I don't understand completely yet about the Rock of Ages ruling.

1.- Is a Rock of Ages game able to win a #1 spot for Conquest, supposing nobody has sent a better date with an ancient start?

2.- Is there a 100 for the best Rock of Ages Conquest game, even if there are better ancient start conquest games, because Rock of Age games only compete against Rock of Ages games?

I don't know if I have made the most appropriate questions. I hope the source of my confusion is apparent enough.
for 1, the answer is yes, I have quite a lot non ancient start #1s
for 2, I asked once, got a yes, but I'm not entirely convinced. In effect, it's rather no.
__________________
Cabert
need happiness?; need health?
cabert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:20 AM   #9
shulec
Grrrrr... I AM the force!
 
shulec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: No longer Chicago :(
Posts: 3,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabert View Post
for 1, the answer is yes, I have quite a lot non ancient start #1s
for 2, I asked once, got a yes, but I'm not entirely convinced. In effect, it's rather no.
For 1, the answer is yes only in reference to the HoF tables. In reference to the EQM conquest, leader and map, you do not get 100 points unless it is ancient start.
__________________
Cubbies forever! (Guess I'll wait until 2013 never!);
Teach me and you. Give me a gem.

shulec will declare at friendly!
Civ IV Hall of Fame
shulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:52 PM   #10
Ozbenno
Fly Fly Away
 
Ozbenno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 10,668
1) You can get a 100 score for Rock of Ages category only if you have the fastest time across all ages (ancient upwards). As shulec said, it won't count towards other categories.

2) Nope, there is no seperate Rock of Ages score for each era start, all eras are counted together, so you'll only get 100 if the score is the best across all ages.
Ozbenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 01:19 AM   #11
jesusin
Ant
 
jesusin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Madrid
Posts: 4,135
Thanks all. This settles things nicely.

I guess that in the long run every Rock of Ages EQM score will be very low, since these games can't compete with ancient starts.
__________________
Are you going to finish that?

Last edited by jesusin; Nov 13, 2011 at 01:39 AM.
jesusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2011, 06:00 AM   #12
jesusin
Ant
 
jesusin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Madrid
Posts: 4,135
Playing a Time game right now. Zillions of hours already invested.

Sushi powered huge population. I have just realized that I'll win a cultural victory (isn't it ironic?) in 50 turns, 130 turns left. The problem are not the 3 cities, dozens of cities will get to Legendary in more or less the same time than the third one.

The only idea I'm considering (apart from throwing the computer out the window) is gifting half of my sushi resources to AI. But that will make all my effort useless, since that will hinder my pop.
Any other feasible ideas anyone?



For the sake of other Time-victory players, my main mistakes have been allowing AI to get to Emancipation and building Eiffel Tower for happiness.
__________________
Are you going to finish that?
jesusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:51 AM   #13
IglooDude
Enforcing Rule 34
 
IglooDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Igloo, New Hampshire
Posts: 20,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu Wu View Post
Use Quick speed for both Rock of Ages and Time:
  1. It is really hard to win an early Victory Condition on quick speed with the exception of Religious Leader Diplomatic Victory.
  2. Quick speed is the least painful one for both Rock of Ages -> Time Victory and Ancient Era -> Time Victories.
Use Time Victory for both (Rock of Ages and Time) to get 100 EQM score:
  1. Use Big and Small map plus Sid's Sushi.
  2. Tech to Future Era and get close to land domination for maximum score.
  3. Prevent all AI from winning any victory and win a Time Victory.
Good luck!

Sun Tzu Wu
Quick question with this - covering the Big side of a Big&Small with your culture does not trip Domination?
__________________

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic." - JFK

IglooDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2011, 09:22 AM   #14
shulec
Grrrrr... I AM the force!
 
shulec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: No longer Chicago :(
Posts: 3,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusin View Post

The only idea I'm considering (apart from throwing the computer out the window) is gifting half of my sushi resources to AI. But that will make all my effort useless, since that will hinder my pop.
Any other feasible ideas anyone?
Spread Cereal Mills like wildfire (Best option). Adopt State Property. (Ouch)
__________________
Cubbies forever! (Guess I'll wait until 2013 never!);
Teach me and you. Give me a gem.

shulec will declare at friendly!
Civ IV Hall of Fame
shulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2011, 10:14 AM   #15
jesusin
Ant
 
jesusin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Madrid
Posts: 4,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by IglooDude View Post
Quick question with this - covering the Big side of a Big&Small with your culture does not trip Domination?
It doesn't. At least in my map I have all Big side and all islands.
__________________
Are you going to finish that?
jesusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2011, 11:55 AM   #16
jesusin
Ant
 
jesusin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Madrid
Posts: 4,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by shulec View Post
Adopt State Property. (Ouch)
You've saved my game! (not to speak of window and computer).
With SP I can finish the game. Not only that, but I am doing more research now, although my people is starving at a frightening pace.

The plan is to go back to FM and growing pop in the last 40 turns.
Spoiler:

If you ever come to Madrid, I own you a beer.
__________________
Are you going to finish that?
jesusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 04:25 AM   #17
jesusin
Ant
 
jesusin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Madrid
Posts: 4,135
Interesting data for Time games max points:

Each pop is worth 13 points. This factor is unlimited. Packing cities together and fat sizes are important.
Each land tile is worth 6 points. This factor is limited or you'll win a domination victory. Mostly irrelevant.
Each Wonder is worth 16 points. This factor is limited to the existing Wonders. Mostly irrelevant.
Each Future Tech is worth 42 points. This factor is unlimited. Representation and a good start are key.
Spoiler:

My stats: 51 cities, Future Tech 119. 2050AD.
24877Points
16195 from 1260 pop
1277 from 212 tiles
6784 from 1133 tech (each future tech is 7 techcount)
612 from 190 wonder (each wonder is 5 wondercount)
__________________
Are you going to finish that?
jesusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:38 AM   #18
WastinTime
Deity
 
WastinTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusin View Post
Interesting data for Time games max points:

Each pop is worth 13 points. This factor is unlimited. Packing cities together and fat sizes are important.
Each land tile is worth 6 points. This factor is limited or you'll win a domination victory. Mostly irrelevant.
Each Wonder is worth 16 points. This factor is limited to the existing Wonders. Mostly irrelevant.
Each Future Tech is worth 42 points. This factor is unlimited. Representation and a good start are key.
Spoiler:

My stats: 51 cities, Future Tech 119. 2050AD.
24877Points
16195 from 1260 pop
1277 from 212 tiles
6784 from 1133 tech (each future tech is 7 techcount)
612 from 190 wonder (each wonder is 5 wondercount)
What was the size, difficulty, and speed of your game?
WastinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:34 PM   #19
jesusin
Ant
 
jesusin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Madrid
Posts: 4,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by WastinTime View Post
What was the size, difficulty, and speed of your game?
You ain't planning to beat my new record, are you?

Emperor, Tiny, Quick, Medium&Small, 2 rivals.


Here are some quick notes I took while playing:

Bad early war, 3 cities 1000BC, 6 1AD. 1000AD 15cities 500bpt. 1500AD 20cities 1200bpt, sushi, killed 1 (so late). 1750AD the other AI is OCC, but Emancipation is a real pain. 0citizens happy while at war!! 1750bpt. 1860AD first future tech, 50 cities, all sushi. Emanc most of the time, big problem, 3750bpt,10500points.
Hermitage and Eiffel have been big mistakes, now I'll win through culture 80t too early. Change to SP till 40 turns before the end, curiously I research more this way, at least till all my cities starde the extra sushi pop. 1.9K: 9000b, 15KP. Starvation. 2K 7000b, 15KP. In the end some 13000bpt and 25000points.
__________________
Are you going to finish that?
jesusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:48 PM   #20
WastinTime
Deity
 
WastinTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,815
Boy you cut if awfully close, beating the previous score by less than 1000.

I won't touch your new record :-)

Nice to see some interest in Time games. I find them fun.
WastinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Go Back Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion > Good EQM scores

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Advertisement

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site is copyright © Civilization Fanatics' Center.
Support CFC: Amazon.com | Amazon UK | Amazon DE | Amazon CA | Amazon FR