Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - Macintosh

Notices

Civ5 - Macintosh Discuss Mac Civ5 related issues.

Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:42 AM   #1
Ozzy_the_Beast
Chieftain

Unhappy Map editor on mac

Hey Guys! I'm new to civ 5, i know how to play and stuff, but i was wondering: How the hell is it possible that there is no Map editor for mac? Can someone tell me how to install it? Where to find it? Is there a map editing?

Thank you for patience and understanding
Ozzy_the_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:33 AM   #2
AlanH
Mac addict, php monkey

Hi, welcome

In Civ4, the WorldBuilder map editor was an integral part of the game software, and so it was ported to the Mac, which was great.

However, in their infinite wisdom, Firaxis created a separate modding package for Civ5 that includes the map editor, reverting to the separate editor structure they had for Civ3. And even worse, the package makes heavy use of Microsoft's Visual Studio developer tools for which there is no compatible software on the Mac.

So Aspyr can't port the entire editor system, and I would hazard a guess that they have therefore decided not to port any of it. Which means there is no map editor for the Mac.
Civ3 Utilities: 20K Culture Excel Calc w. Anarchy OS X: FileValet compressor/archiver for Civ3 Complete | Civ3 1.29b2 Updater | TextEdit for Civ3 Mods
AlanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:47 AM   #3
Helmling
Philosopher King

I thought there was a mod that allowed map editing? Or does it not run on Mac?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:28 AM   #4
AlanH
Mac addict, php monkey

Any current mod for Civ5 should be able to run on the Mac.

If there is one then please find it and post a link to the details. You'll be everyone's friend
Civ3 Utilities: 20K Culture Excel Calc w. Anarchy OS X: FileValet compressor/archiver for Civ3 Complete | Civ3 1.29b2 Updater | TextEdit for Civ3 Mods
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:17 AM   #5
Lachlan
Great Builder of Civs !

InGame Editor from DonQuiche, you will find it in mods section

Real Civfanatic here

Last edited by Lachlan; Jan 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: correcting
Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 04:05 PM   #6
AlanH
Mac addict, php monkey

Thanks, Lachlan. It's here. I downloaded it and ran it in the Civ5 Campaign Edition. I didn't disable the Putmalks Ancient World mod before running it first time, and it threw an error. When I disabled that mod I was able to run the In Game Editor.

Once it's running it is very powerful. You can edit most stuff as far as I can see. The main limitation is that the terrain editing is not WYSIWYG. You have to save and reload the game to see your changes.

It is, of course, a license to modify any game in your favour, and to preview the entire map!