Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > COLOSSEUM > Off-Topic

Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:03 PM   #361
innonimatu
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialman View Post
Also, Imperialism, as defined by Dictionary of Human Geography, is "the creation and/or maintenance of an unequal economic, cultural, and territorial relationship, usually between states and often in the form of an empire, based on domination and subordination". I don't see how that applies to the Falklands.
Well, there is a reason why the UK never got rid of those tiny islands around the world, when it got rid of its larger colonies. And it isn't just that no guerillas are sustainable there.

No, the dismembering of empires happens when territories not really controllable by the elites in the capital start demanding a proportional share of power there. Threatened with displacement from their position of power those elites almost always choose to cut out those imperial territories. The whole history of the dissolution of the British Empire was like that, starting with the rebellious americans, then the Dominions of South Africa, Australia and Canada which would not get representation at Westminster, and finally India and all the other African and Asian Colonies. It almost came to civil war over Ireland. And the Americans who went for gradual imperial expansion with incorporation of new territories and sharing of power did came to civil war over that sharing of power. Oh, wait, it was supposedly just about slavery, I forget...

Anyway, my point is that the reason the Falklands remained is that those islands can even easily be granted "representation": they're so small that their weight at the capital is negligible. Likewise for the former French, Dutch, etc Empires (I'm not sure about the dutch, but the french did organize their overseas territories as one more departmént).
And in this sense they remain imperial territories, even with representation: they're absolutely dominated from afar, because of their smallness. And they would remain imperial territories whether it the the UK or Argentina that controls them.
innonimatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:26 AM   #362
Takhisis
PER BALLISTÆ AD ASTRA

You certainly have a point there.

The Falklands are in an imperial position because not even the most delusional Falklander would say they're 'equal' to the government in Britain. The troops are not local for one thing. The Falklands will always be dependent to a greater or smaller degree on the outside, they can't be hermits.
As I said before, cooperation with Argentina I only inevitable. But both sides have to stop being so idiotic about it.

It *did* come to a war with Ireland btw.
[18:47:11] <@Lucy> i don't mean to imply that what's going on in tak's underpants isn't equally or more creepy
'Well, there's spam, and then there's spam spam. You are an example of spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam spam spam and spam.' -choxorn, 12/03/2010
Takhisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:20 AM   #363
Traitorfish
The Tighnahulish Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takhisis View Post
That was a war to get Ireland out of the union, though, not over its constitutional position within it.
Traitorfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:53 AM   #364
Takhisis
PER BALLISTÆ AD ASTRA

The same could be said of the U.S. war of independence.
[18:47:11] <@Lucy> i don't mean to imply that what's going on in tak's underpants isn't equally or more creepy
'Well, there's spam, and then there's spam spam. You are an example of spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam spam spam and spam.' -choxorn, 12/03/2010
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:03 AM   #365
imperialman
Admiral

Quote:
You certainly have a point there.

The Falklands are in an imperial position because not even the most delusional Falklander would say they're 'equal' to the government in Britain. The troops are not local for one thing. The Falklands will always be dependent to a greater or smaller degree on the outside, they can't be hermits.
As I said before, cooperation with Argentina I only inevitable. But both sides have to stop being so idiotic about it.

I think the islanders are happy with the constitutional arrangements as they are, they don't want to be part of Britain. Not that I'm suggesting you meant that, just thought I'd point it out.
imperialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:46 PM   #366
Traitorfish
The Tighnahulish Kid

Quote:
The same could be said of the U.S. war of independence.
Yes and no. The American rebels didn't even think about independence until the war was well underway, while the First Dáil had been declared as the legislature of an independent Irish Republic before the war even began. Both cases represented a failure of the British imperial system, but in quite different ways.
Traitorfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:07 PM   #367
Takhisis
PER BALLISTÆ AD ASTRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialman View Post
I think the islanders are happy with the constitutional arrangements as they are, they don't want to be part of Britain. Not that I'm suggesting you meant that, just thought I'd point it out.
They want to remain a colony, no more and no less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitorfish View Post
Yes and no. The American rebels didn't even think about independence until the war was well underway, while the First Dáil had been declared as the legislature of an independent Irish Republic before the war even began. Both cases represented a failure of the British imperial system, but in quite different ways.
Hence my 'could be said of' instead of 'applies to'.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:56 AM   #368
bathsheba666
Fast 'n Bulbous

As the US are pressing for us to talk to Argentina, are they also preparing to withdraw from Diego Garcia ?

er, just like my parents...
Ideas are like Stars
Mr Zoot Horn Rollo, hit that long lunar note, and let it float...
bathsheba666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:24 AM   #369
Mad Man
Your lord and master

Good, send those poor islanders back home.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:35 AM   #370
Silurian
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Man View Post
Good, send those poor islanders back home.
Yes the US should allow them back but it maybe already too late.
Silurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:50 AM   #371
bhsup
Not the twitchy one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathsheba666 View Post
As the US are pressing for us to talk to Argentina, are they also preparing to withdraw from Diego Garcia ?
Why the hell are we taking this stance? I cannot believe this. Obama starts his term by betraying Poland, and is wrapping it up by betraying our closest friggin' ally in the world??

Are modern citizens of Greece Greek?
bhsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:38 AM   #372
say1988
Deity

This isn't anything new. pretty sure Bush held the same policy. Argentina was name a major non-NATO ally by Clinton.
It won't cost the US anything more than a bit of ing by the UK (it will not put any alliance at risk) while it puts the US in a position to gain with much of Latin America.
Since it is still extremely unlikely anything will actually happen the US has nothing to lose.
say1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:02 PM   #373
innonimatu
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRWCAgent View Post
Why the hell are we taking this stance? I cannot believe this. Obama starts his term by betraying Poland, and is wrapping it up by betraying our closest friggin' ally in the world??
Don't worry, your allies got used to it long ago. Those eastern europeans might have been shocked, but that was because they were still naive.
innonimatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:13 PM   #374
bhsup
Not the twitchy one

Then I guess the only positive is we never Czechoslovakia'd or Hungary'd any of our allies...

Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:30 PM   #375
uat2d
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by innonimatu View Post
Don't worry, your allies got used to it long ago. Those eastern europeans might have been shocked, but that was because they were still naive.
Quote:
Then I guess the only positive is we never Czechoslovakia'd or Hungary'd any of our allies...
What are these backstabs you're talking about and could you leave some links so I can learn more about them?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:23 PM   #376
bhsup
Not the twitchy one

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...346840666.html

http://en.mercopress.com/2012/02/16/...militarization

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_Spring

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungari...lution_of_1956

Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:44 PM   #377
uat2d
ಠ_ಠ

Thanks, that was a good read, yeah, the USA still hasn't invaded any puppet state yet, but still, that's not really a good guideline.

As for the missile defense system, I'm guessing he wants to show the Russians he means no harm, it's not like Poland or any of its neighbors can hurt USA's interests as much as Russia can, and since we're all EU, we'll all continue to deal with the USA's crap without even calling them out on their BS.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:49 PM   #378
Cutlass
Ideas are Like Stars

Well, to be fair that missile defense system in Poland was a major dumbass idea in the first place.
Cutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:23 PM   #379
Mad Man
Your lord and master

Quote:
You mean like Guatemala? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954_Gu..._d%27%C3%A9tat
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:47 PM   #380
bhsup
Not the twitchy one

Guatemala invaded by Guatemalans? Not quite the same thing. Also, and more directly related, not exactly our ally.