Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - Technical Support

Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:50 PM   #1
Slynky333
Warlord

Civ V Will Not Launch...

I get the "Do you want to use DX 9 or DX 10-11 To Play" query box. It doesn't matter which one I choose, nothing happens after I click (and the window I clicked goes away).

A check (and a monitor) of the Task Manager shows nothing running. While watching TM, I launch and Civ 5 blinks up and then goes away (as a task) in about 2 seconds.

I haven't played in many months but I never had any problem launching. I guess the program got bored and lonely and is punishing me...

Any ideas on other ways to try and launch? I've tried it from my Steam Library with the same results.

Thanks...
Slynky333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Camikaze
Deity

Moderator Action: Moved to Tech Support.

A good first step is generally to verify the integrity of your game cache. Do this by right-clicking on Civ5 in your Steam game list and selecting properties. It'll be one of the options in there.

Last edited by Camikaze; Feb 01, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Camikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Slynky333
Warlord

Thanks for your reply. I found it. It's running now. Apparently a bit slowly...
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Slynky333
Warlord

It must have speeded up... LOL.

"All files verified successfully"
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Slynky333
Warlord

Thanks for your suggestion.

I was hoping there might be more coming to try and figure out what happened. I was trying to avoid a reload (with a lucky diagnosis or something).
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Sparrow3
Prince

Can't launch Civ5 either

My Civ5 won't launch either, after clicking the desktop Icon, get the message select the version of the game to play. just like Slynky333 does. The only available to me is DirectX9. When I click one of two things happen; a window appears that blank (black) or I see a window appears for about 2 seconds, as Slynky333 describes. This happens if I launch from the Steam website also.

I am using: Intel® G33/G31 on a HP Pavilion with DirectX10.
Also: I have what, I think, is the latest driver for it version 7.15.10.1666

Any suggestions?
Sparrow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 02:28 PM   #7
The_J
Say No 2 Net Validations

The only suggestion which will fix the problem is to buy a new computer.
The graphics card is miles under the minimum specs, nobody here has been able to run the game with it.

Steam eats the souls of little gamers!!!
The_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:08 PM   #8
Sparrow3
Prince

Thanks!

Looks like Fireaxis has done it to me again. I guess I'll just to continue with Civ IV.
Sparrow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:21 PM   #9
FeiLing
Deity

You can't expect to run moderns games without a graphic card, at least not as long as your graphic chip is not at least as modern as those integrated into core i5/i7 CPUs and even with them it's gonna be on lowest settings all and slow and painful.
And just in case: Even if you consider to buy a laptop with an actual graphic card un the future, it still is going to suck at gaming (unless it prices a lot (and then it still does from an enthusiast point of view)).
Spoiler:
[I seriously wonder why people don't wonder why heatsinks in a gaming rig alone usually are just as large as their whole damn laptop; yet they complain about poor fps etc and are being told in forums to check their temperatures just to realized that their 'multimedia' laptop hardware is about to vaporize.]
FeiLing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:24 PM   #10
Slynky333
Warlord

Of course, that's not my problem.

I was running with nearly every option played at highest quality with my graphics card and mine just quit loading...
Old Feb 01, 2012, 03:11 PM   #11
gorillagogo
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camikaze View Post

A good first step is generally to verify the integrity of your game cache. Do this by right-clicking on Civ5 in your Steam game list and selecting preferences. It'll be one of the options in there.
Thanks for posting this. I haven't played in a while and was having trouble starting up today. I spent an hour and a half searching for answers on the Steam forums. They had me checking Windows update and making sure all of my drivers were updated. Nothing worked, so I came here and saw this item and it fixed the problem.

If anyone else has this problem, right click on Civ5 in the Steam game list, select Properties and then click the Local Files tab. You will see the button to verify the game cache on that tab.

Thanks again.
gorillagogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2012, 06:42 AM   #12
Naokaukodem
Millennium King

Aw, aw... I didn't have any problem to run Civ5 on the day of today, until I decide today to let it go. Well, surprisingly it doesn't work at all, it doesn't even display the Direct X 9/11 choice, the Windows cursor just becomes a circle for some second, and then everything is ended.

I tried to verify the integrity of my cache files, it says it's ok but after that it does just the same : won't launch...

This is a very odd problem I never ever encountered in any of my games in my whole PC experience. Usually when I was able to play at a game, it was working until I uninstalled it. (the only exception to that was that some times uninstalling was messing up, but that's another story, I didn't uninstall / install Civ 5 in several months)

EDIT : I managed to get it working by launching it from steam. The odd thing being that it said that it downloaded files/the game. I could play after the files/"game" was "downloaded". Wonder where all this will lead me...

Last edited by Naokaukodem; Feb 08, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Naokaukodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:56 AM   #13
Anon Zytose
Time Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camikaze View Post

A good first step is generally to verify the integrity of your game cache. Do this by right-clicking on Civ5 in your Steam game list and selecting properties. It'll be one of the options in there.
I had the exact same problem with my copy of the game. It also took me a while to find the section where the game list even had a right-click section titled Properties. Fortunately, I found it and followed the advice here. It worked like a charm. Thank you!
Anon Zytose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:58 PM   #14
MavRlck
Chieftain

CIV V won't launch

I just bought Civ V and it won't autorun from CD. Tried to launch when opened CD, it goes into circle icon mode forever and never launches. Only could read PDF file, checked requirements, seem to meet the min. Frustrating that once the icon goes into circle forever, i have to shutdown PC, restart twice to allow the CD to be read again. After having no probs with previous Civs, looks like this may be my last as the game reviews haven't been that good in the posts. Sid's past quality doesn't seem to matter anymore since sales continues to bring big $$.
MavRlck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:47 PM   #15
The_J
Say No 2 Net Validations

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavRlck View Post
checked requirements, seem to meet the min.
Please tell us what hardware you have in your computer.

Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:01 AM   #16
MavRlck
Chieftain

Trying to run CIV V

I have a Sony Vaio laptop, VPCCW13FX
It has an Intel Duo Core2 CPU T6600@2.2 Ghz, 4 Gig memory, 64 bit OS, running Windows 7 home premium. Sound NVIDIA High Definition Audio.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:11 AM   #17
MavRlck
Chieftain

PC Info

To supplement:
NVIDIA GeForce G210M, 2031 MB
DirectX 10
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:16 AM   #18
MavRlck
Chieftain

PC Info

To supplement:
NVIDIA GeForce G210M, 2031 MB
DirectX 10
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:18 AM   #19
The_J
Say No 2 Net Validations

That graphics card is below the minimum specs (unless tokala says something different ), that's the cause. It's on the same level like a Radeon HD 2300 (minimum: 2600) or a Geforce 8300 (minimum: 7900, and 8300 is weaker).

Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:58 AM   #20
tokala
Emperor

Naah, it's slower than the minimun reqs, but technically it should run, just not very smooth.
AFAIK Civ5 does not check your hardware before installation, people got it installed and running with much worse.

Might be a defective DVD or drive, or some stuff in the background interfering with the installer.
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote