Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > COLOSSEUM > Off-Topic

Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:33 PM   #1
choxorn
Advice Dog Zombie

Thumbs up House of Reps and Obama kill SOPA

Quote:
Obama Says So Long SOPA, Killing Controversial Internet Piracy Legislation

The growing anti-SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) support that has swept through the gaming and Internet community found a very big ally today. With websites like Reddit and Wikipedia and gaming organizations like Major League Gaming prepared for a blackout on January 18th – the same day that the House Judiciary Committee hearing on HR 3261was scheduled in Washington, DC – President Barack Obama has stepped in and said he would not support the bill. SOPA has been killed, for now.

Much to the chagrin of Hollywood, the Entertainment Software Association (which has been a backer of the bill from early on), and Internet domain company GoDaddy.com (which lost many accounts as a result of its support for the bill); SOPA has been shelved. The Motion Picture Association of America, one of the bill’s largest sponsors, is expected to regroup.

But there remains another similar bill, Protect IP (the Enforcing and Protecting American Rights Against Sites Intent on Theft and Exploitation Act), that poses a problem for gamers and Internet users. This legislation is scheduled to go before the Senate on January 24th.

Both SOPA and Protect IP attempt to combat online piracy by preventing American search engines like Google and Yahoo from directing users to sites distributing stolen content. Both bills also would enable people and companies to sue if their copyright was infringed. Obama has come out against both bills, which killed SOPA and puts pressure on senators come January 24th. The full White House response can be read here.

Just like piracy itself, this debate isn’t over. Expect more bills to move forward, although the wording in future legislation is expected to be more narrowly focused in an attempt to appease the current administration. But given the current economic climate and the upcoming Presidential election, there could be a different administration entering The White House soon, changing the landscape for these types of bills.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaud...y-legislation/

Eric Cantor of all people also said he'd keep the bill from passing. I never thought I'd say this, but thank you, Eric Cantor.

This is a great victory for the internet against the Entertainment Industry. That doesn't happen very often. It's good to know Congress still has some sanity left.

Protect IP is still alive in the Senate, but Obama said he'd veto that, too, and hopefully the Senate will be equally sane enough to drop this bill.

It's not over yet, but this is undeniably a good thing.
My Stories: The terrain-unwise Romans (Won), The Conquests (In Progress, 6/9 Complete- 4 Wins, 2 Losses) SG History: Won: (My first SG)For newbies n's Religiously Wonderful SG Hawk01-5CC Regent Training Game Hawk02-Japan The 5 Sacred Cities Hawk03-5CC Persian Astronauts Lost: qoou's 3CC AW Monarch
"FONT SIZE MAKES THE ARGUMENT MORE CORRECT" -DNK, in size 5 font
"The buttocks of the Pharaoh were feared from Carthage to India!" - Traitorfish

Last edited by choxorn; Jan 16, 2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Forgot the link
choxorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:43 PM   #2
wilycoyote
King

Reason enough to reelect him!
wilycoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:54 PM   #3
Crezth
NEVER FORGET

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilycoyote View Post
Reason enough to reelect him!
In before someone points out the indefinite detention.
Crezth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:59 PM   #4
wilycoyote
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crezth View Post
Trust me, I hate that, as I have pointed out recently. However, the Patriot Act keeps passing... who will stop it? Romney? You have to work with what you've got.
wilycoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:02 PM   #5
KMRblue1027
The Crown!

Quote:
Do you really believe that if McCain was in office that wouldn't have been signed?

"I dunno, BP's program to deliver oil to aquatic life and Toyota's "keep moving forward" campaign were pretty bad for them." - Phrossack
KMRblue1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:04 PM   #6
choxorn
Advice Dog Zombie

I guess this is just when we refuse to vote for anyone who does support laws like that, which leaves us with nobody who actually wants to be president and could get elected.
My Stories: The terrain-unwise Romans (Won), The Conquests (In Progress, 6/9 Complete- 4 Wins, 2 Losses) SG History: Won: (My first SG)For newbies n's Religiously Wonderful SG Hawk01-5CC Regent Training Game Hawk02-Japan The 5 Sacred Cities Hawk03-5CC Persian Astronauts Lost: qoou's 3CC AW Monarch
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:06 PM   #7
Cheetah
Deity

Good.

One battle won, but the war is still raging.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:06 PM   #8
illram
Deity

I'll believe it's dead when I see it dead. I've heard Obama say he will veto something before...
illram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:21 PM   #9
Integral
Can't you hear it?

SOPA's been shelved, not killed. The fight continues.

Sensible monetary discussion.
Integral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Bud2998
Bud the Ironfist

Quote:
It is worth pointing out. Weren't they opposed to the NDAA too, at least until Obama signed it into law? If so, why would one trust it this time?
Bud2998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:25 PM   #11
Antilogic
Reminding You...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2998 View Post
It is worth pointing out. Weren't they opposed to the NDAA too, at least until Obama signed it into law? If so, why would one trust it this time?
I'm happy for now, but I reserve the right to be angry if he backs down on this one as well.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter with a half-million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. ... This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
Antilogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:25 PM   #12
GoodSarmatian
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by illram View Post
I'll believe it's dead when I see it dead. I've heard Obama say he will veto something before...
I was pretty sure he said he wanted to veto the NDAA before he didn't.
This time it's different though.
Some big corporations are against, among them Google and Facebook and they'll throw money at it until it goes away.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:26 PM   #13
danjuno
Usually Quite Serious

Good riddance to bad rubbish, as the English say.
"If you strike at, imprison, or kill us, out of our prisons or graves we will still evoke a spirit that will thwart you, and perhaps, raise a force that will destroy you! We defy you! Do your worst!" -James Connolly
danjuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:27 PM   #14
choxorn
Advice Dog Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSarmatian View Post
I was pretty sure he said he wanted to veto the NDAA before he didn't.
This time it's different though.
Some big corporations are against, among them Google and Facebook and they'll throw money at it until it goes away.
Plus, he wasn't as much against NDAA completely as he was against a few small parts of it.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:29 PM   #15
aimeeandbeatles
watermelon

Do you have an OP source? I saw the article but no link to click to see where the text came from.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:31 PM   #16
choxorn
Advice Dog Zombie

My bad. The link has been edited in.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:33 PM   #17
_random_
Raging Bernard-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeeandbeatles View Post
Do you have an OP source? I saw the article but no link to click to see where the text came from.
I was gonna ask, but I found it with a little Google-Fu:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaud...y-legislation/
So yeah, this is good news. Gives me cause for optimism, albeit cautious.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:33 PM   #18
amadeus
スマイル・フォー・ミー

Now PIPA.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:36 PM   #19
Lord of Elves
Suede-Denim Secret Police

In before "We can't trust that Obama feller"

Er... Wait.
14:15 Luckymoose wah wah school
14:15 Luckymoose "oh, I'm LOE and I don't know how to treat a ho."
14:16 Luckymoose "She asked for the D, but our youth should strive for A's."
Lord of Elves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:38 PM   #20
peter grimes

Quote:
And on that note...

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/...bama_20120116/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hedges
I suspect the real purpose of this bill is to thwart internal, domestic movements that threaten the corporate state. The definition of a terrorist is already so amorphous under the Patriot Act that there are probably a few million Americans who qualify to be investigated if not locked up. Consider the arcane criteria that can make you a suspect in our new military-corporate state. The Department of Justice considers you worth investigating if you are missing a few fingers, if you have weatherproof ammunition, if you own guns or if you have hoarded more than seven days of food in your house. Adding a few of the obstructionist tactics of the Occupy movement to this list would be a seamless process. On the whim of the military, a suspected “terrorist” who also happens to be a U.S. citizen can suffer extraordinary rendition—being kidnapped and then left to rot in one of our black sites “until the end of hostilities.” Since this is an endless war that will be a very long stay.
indeed, I'll vote for Obama, but only as a way to keep whichever Republican who gets the nomination out of the White House.
peter grimes is offline   Reply With Quote