I kind of hope sales of this expansion are low....

Tapewormlondon

Warlord
Whilst i welcome this expansion and also hope it drastically improves the game, I really hope that the sales of it are well below what 2K and Fireaxis hope for.

My reason for this is that I would like 2K to see that the amount of casual gamers that I believe this game was tailored for have moved onto other things - because thats what casual gamers do, and those hardcore fans of old have moved onto something else due their poor experience with the game wasnt what they expected (I am in this camp - hello Paradox games you star you!).

I know, I know - people do like this game.....thats why you are in this forum right? but i think its fair to say that CiV was recieved by alot of fans of the series with vastly negitive feelings. Bugs, non immersive, lack of features etc. I personally (notice the personally bit) believe this game was a huge let down and I never thought i could be saying this, but such a let down it was, that i will not part with my money until I hear that this game (or any future iterations of it) are vastly.....and i mean like competley different..... improved.

My hope that it sells poorly because it will show that for quick sales, the casual market is the way to go - BUT if you want a long lasting brand and continuous sales from a ready made database it is most certainly not (At least in a game like CIV - for other games it will work.....COD Im looking at you).

Hopefully this will ensure future Civ games are produced with the flair and vision I have experenced with past Civ games, and that can only be a good thing. Will it sell well though? and if it doesnt, would it mean the end of the franchise??

Given that the game has been in the top-10 most played games on Steam since it was released, such a scenario seems highly unlikely.
And this expansion failing to sell well would probably send the opposite message, given that it is centered around adding new systems and mechanics and thus complicating the game.

lol , i love people trying to pretend only casuals liked CIV 5 , stop making up nonsense . There's been so many polls and topics for ages trying to prove this but it never does.

I have 400 hours played on CIV 5 , loved every minute of it . Looking forward to the DLC a lot.

Im glad it was diffrent than CIV4 i didnt want the same game remade , CIV5 was fresh and diffrent and a bold step , i think its at least as good as CIV4.

I'm really sorry, but the OP makes little sense at all.

You hope the expansion receives poor sales so that future sequels will be better products?

You do understand that poor sales tend to lead towards cancellation? Poor reaction leads to "improvements", poor sales lead to different projects.

I don't think I agree with anything the OP said. This will sell well as has every Civ expansions prior to this.

Your argument is a bit flawed OP. Yes, I didn't enjoy Civ5 as much as I enjoyed Civ4 either, but it does seem this expansion pack is actually adding complications into the gameplay mix(more city states types, religions, espionage, more units to think about tactically, etc) and if it does sell badly(highly unlikely, really) it might actually give them the opposite impression than the one you would like, that more complication is bad. You wouldn't want that, would you?

I actually think they listened to people's complaints and are trying to address some of it with this expansion. Of course we won't know it for sure until it is out, but that is the initial impression I'm having about this expansion pack. One can only hope, right?

If an expansion sells poorly, they'll likely reduce complexity to increase to a more general audience or, if they have other options, stop producing Civ games in general.

If an expansion sells poorly, they'll likely reduce complexity to increase to a more general audience or, if they have other options, stop producing Civ games in general.

or even worse, consentrate more on facebook and console type games :wallbash:

i will be getting this xpac, the real question is, right at launch? depends on when it is released and how much for, but i will be getting it somewhere somehow

Whilst i welcome this expansion and also hope it drastically improves the game, I really hope that the sales of it are well below what 2K and Fireaxis hope for.

My reason for this is that I would like 2K to see that the amount of casual gamers that I believe this game was tailored for have moved onto other things - because thats what casual gamers do, and those hardcore fans of old have moved onto something else due their poor experience with the game wasnt what they expected (I am in this camp - hello Paradox games you star you!).

I know, I know - people do like this game.....thats why you are in this forum right? but i think its fair to say that CiV was recieved by alot of fans of the series with vastly negitive feelings. Bugs, non immersive, lack of features etc. I personally (notice the personally bit) believe this game was a huge let down and I never thought i could be saying this, but such a let down it was, that i will not part with my money until I hear that this game (or any future iterations of it) are vastly.....and i mean like competley different..... improved.

My hope that it sells poorly because it will show that for quick sales, the casual market is the way to go - BUT if you want a long lasting brand and continuous sales from a ready made database it is most certainly not (At least in a game like CIV - for other games it will work.....COD Im looking at you).

Hopefully this will ensure future Civ games are produced with the flair and vision I have experenced with past Civ games, and that can only be a good thing. Will it sell well though? and if it doesnt, would it mean the end of the franchise??

Since this expansion is obviously tailored more toward the hard-core fan base (they're giving us back religion, for Pete's sake) then poor sales would be sending the message to the developers and publishers that marketing to a more casual audience was the smart move and that the die-hards are not a reliable market.

The effect would be the exact opposite of what you were hoping.

I've been saying for many months that an expansion was highly likely and I'm even more confident to predict the upcoming Gods and Kings expansion will sell well. Whether fans of previous civ games like civ5 or not, Civ5 has been very well received by most gamers in the market and I'd expect with the sort of visibility that Steam gives to games and the power of its sales methods that G&K will sell well even if it turns out to be fairly crap.

If it happens to be a good expansion, it will sell even better.

1) Not all the "hardcore" fans hated the game. Such as.....some of the people on this site, for example (if you're visiting this site to read about and discuss Civ V, you're not a casual fan in all likelihood).

2) Poor sales only hurts the entire franchise. Then everyone loses.

3) The game has been in the Top 10 played games on Steam since it launched. It's obviously doing well. Therefore, it's extremely unlikely to sell poorly anywa.

said it before, and I'll say it again:

There are still people on this site that think Civ jumped the shark with Civ IV, and think that Civ III is the pinnacle of Civ.

There are still people who proclaim Civ II was the best of all time and the newer games have better graphics and worse gameplay.

Anytime a new game comes out some embrace, some don't. Way of the world.

Since this expansion is obviously tailored more toward the hard-core fan base (they're giving us back religion, for Pete's sake) then poor sales would be sending the message to the developers and publishers that marketing to a more casual audience was the smart move and that the die-hards are not a reliable market.

The effect would be the exact opposite of what you were hoping.

Ok, firstly i want to just say im not trolling or bashing the game. it was ok, but really that was it in my opinion - again as i said in the OP, my opinion. And I know there are many who love the game, i appreciate that.

But you surely can not deny the fact that this game detracted for a lot of people that played the series prior. im pretty sure im not the only person that left the game entirely and if you missed the origional fury on these very forums, well. I actually wasnt one of those, I waited a full year, saw shed loads of GAME CHANGING patches which came out after DLC, then i became a hater.

Secondly, to say that many polls on this forum say its the greatest game since <insert prefered choice here> is pretty obvious - its Civ fanatics......although a recent one currently live i noticed about if it was "better than past reiterations" has "NO" currently leading.....that says a lot on a site dedicated to the series. Anyway going slightly off topic here so....

Thirdly i have bolded the point that kind gentleman has made up top. They are giving us back religion????? It should have been in the game from the god damn start. Oh they are bringing in new nations....oh no they were all in the last version. We are being expected to pay for an expansion that brings something that was in its predessor. if you are happy to do that, fair play, good move 2K. I certainly am not. But many are, which is why games companies spew out half finished, half assed peices of rubbish, Because many fans will buy what ever comes out - hell I bought all the DLC hoping some magical patch would come out that would make me like the game. Of course it never arrived, because I dont like the way this incarnation has been produced and No patch in the world is gonna change that. But i wanted it to. And yeah I am a little buttsore!!!!

Im fine with that, just not the way I believe the game was rushed out, poorly executed and (in my opinion) aimed at a much more casual market in order to increase overall sales. And im certainly not happy with the way that games companies are supported by people for doing it time and time again. It just doesnt make any sense to me.

Anyway claps for 2K and everyone enjoy the expansion. It probably WILL be the best thing since sliced bread and i will miss out LOL - FML!

And again same complaints were made about Civ IV. Civ III complete had a ton of nations, Civ IV is released with 18. Paratroopers were in Civ III, didn't make to Civ IV until BTS. Civ IV shipped practically unplayable, Civ III complete was highly stable...

Disagree.

I don't like Civ5, but I have bought the DLCs, and I will buy the expansion pack.
I treat the purchase like an investment ...
... eventually they will deliver a game I will waste thousands of hours playing,
... and it will be FUN 8) 8) 8)

I share Tapeworm's disappointment with Civ V, but I think the various patches have done a lot to improve the game, and one can only hope that a full-blown expansion will do more. Only time will tell, of course.

It seems to me that people who have been hoping that Civ V will fail don't seem to realize that the failure of Civ V is less likely to bring about a newer, better Civ VI than it is to bring about the death of the Civilization franchise. Game publishers right now are interested only in producing first-person-shooters and Facebook games, and not much else.

LOL. Eveyone buying this expansion is so stupid i my eyes.

First you accept that CiV is a finished product. But on top of that you also send the developers the message that this unfinished and simplified kiddy game is what we want. Please bring "My Noobishness" some freshly cut garbage.

Enjoy and thanks for destroying the best game series.

Moderator Action: Warned for trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I hope that it sells well, it extensively patched and tweaked and provides hundreds of hours of fresh play for each and every Civ5 player.

Disagree.

I don't like Civ5, but I have bought the DLCs, and I will buy the expansion pack.
I treat the purchase like an investment ...
... eventually they will deliver a game I will waste thousands of hours playing,
... and it will be FUN 8) 8) 8)

I'll be the first person to defend Civ5 - I really like the game, but...

Why buy it if you don't like it? It seems foolish to buy a game you don't like in hopes they'll make the next game differently. If you buy a game, it sends a message to the developers that you like that game and it was a good decision to make it a certain way. Since you don't like Civ5, why would you want to send the message to Firaxis that it's okay for them to keep making games like Civ5 (games you don't like)?

Basically what I'm saying is: If you genuinely don't like Civ5, don't buy it. Vote with your wallet.

Secondly, to say that many polls on this forum say its the greatest game since <insert prefered choice here> is pretty obvious - its Civ fanatics......although a recent one currently live i noticed about if it was "better than past reiterations" has "NO" currently leading.....that says a lot on a site dedicated to the series. Anyway going slightly off topic here so....

A poll saying it is not better then previous iterations does not mean it is worse than them. If anything, that type of poll is saying it's as good as previous iterations. In any case, you can't believe the results of any of these polls, because they only represent the votes of the most vocal players and are usually worded in such a way as to ensure the results the poll creater desires. For instance if I created a poll that asked, "Does your family know you're stupid?" and only gave the options of yes or no, either answer would be an admission that you are stupid even if you aren't. Therefore a poll such as this is invalid.

Top Bottom