CanWill they add or re-work corporations into ciV?

fat_tonle

Prince
Many people say they were kinda lame in Civ IV, and I agree. But the dynamic worked perfectly in the context of Civ IV. It spread just like a religion, and you could enhance the bonuses by acquiring more relevant resources.

Could you now implement that into this game as it is?

For example.... religions is said to become less and less relevant as the game progresses according to reports. Is it being replaced by Espionage? Why would those two be mutually exclusive?

Albeit we do not exactly have the diversity of strategic resources we had in civ IV so it couldn't work the same way.

Why not build a corporation pantheon of sorts; one that can be founded by a great person in the industrial or modern era? Then you build your corporation through what technologies and resources you acquire?

For example, if you are going for nuclear, upon establishing the corporation, you acquire Uranium and get a "trait" where you acquire extra production and science based on Uranium count. Or your nuclear plants produce more power with another given trait. If you are going for space race, you get additional bonuses for more Aluminum and that would be another trait for your corporation.

Likewise, you can export other resources that other corporations founded in other countries desire.

And of course, resources gifted by CS's or other civs that are relevant to your corporation would take commission from your treasury, meaning the more resources accrue for your corporation, the costlier it is to maintain. But that's what corporations are for..... to produce like a b.a.m.f and recuperate that deficit and then some.

Would it be worth it or is it too limited based on the limited pool of resources in the game as it is now? If so... I would propose adding more resources, like Copper or other metals for a computer/engineering based corporation. Also, food corporations would be limited right now because the game engine doesn't account for how many "fish" or "wheat" you have gathered. In other words, it doesn't keep count of those resources.

Many people say they were kinda lame in Civ IV, and I agree. But the dynamic worked perfectly in the context of Civ IV. It spread just like a religion, and you could enhance the bonuses by acquiring more relevant resources.

Could you now implement that into this game as it is?

For example.... religions is said to become less and less relevant as the game progresses according to reports. Is it being replaced by Espionage? Why would those two be mutually exclusive?

Albeit we do not exactly have the diversity of strategic resources we had in civ IV so it couldn't work the same way.

Why not build a corporation pantheon of sorts; one that can be founded by a great person in the industrial or modern era? Then you build your corporation through what technologies and resources you acquire?

For example, if you are going for nuclear, upon establishing the corporation, you acquire Uranium and get a "trait" where you acquire extra production and science based on Uranium count. Or your nuclear plants produce more power with another given trait. If you are going for space race, you get additional bonuses for more Aluminum and that would be another trait for your corporation?

Likewise, you can export other resources that other corporations founded in other countries desire.

And of course, resources gifted by CS's or other civs that are relevant to your corporation would take commission from your treasury, meaning the more resources accrue for your corporation, the costlier it is to maintain. But that's what corporations are for..... to produce like a b.a.m.f and recuperate that deficit and then some.

Would it be worth it or is it too limited based on the limited pool of resources in the game as it is now? If so... I would propose adding more resources, like Copper or other metals for a computer/engineering based corporation. Also, food corporations would be limited right now because the game engine doesn't account for how many "fish" or "wheat" you have gathered. In other words, it doesn't "keep count" of those resources.

I believe they can, but probably will bring it out in the third expansion. Besides when religion goes by the wayside there needs to be a replacement. Just as you said above. I think if they do they should have different formats for corporations. One example for Japan would be the Zaibatsu. Perhaps they could come up with models that certain civs would base their world markets and global priorities on. Middle Eastern civs would be more oil based. Perhaps the US and Japan would be more technologically based. I don't know just throwing ideas out there. In any case Corps are a great idea.

In Civ IV, coporations were just modified religions, and I think the new Civ V religion model could also work well for corporations. But I'm sure they would have announced such a feature if it was due in Gods & Kings, so one would have to wait for another expansion for that.

I don't understand what point corporations serve in the game, to be honest. I think it's overly complicated and doesn't add much to the game's depth. In fact, when I played Civ IV, I didn't notice it at all, and it became a nuisance. I hope they don't add them back in.

I believe one of the main points of corporations was to make resource more special, but they've already reworked resources in Civ5, so in that aspect corporations are not that necessary anymore.

2K Greg posted the following on the 2K forums in response to a comment about corporations:
2K Greg said:
What I personally liked about Corporations was they gave you a big reason to want to acquire more than 1 of each resource. In Civ V that element is built in to the strategic resource mechanic though.
That would seem to indicate that corporations won't be in the expansion.

I strongly disliked Corporations and I don't think Civ5's religion overlaps quite as easily.

I don't understand what point corporations serve in the game, to be honest. I think it's overly complicated and doesn't add much to the game's depth. In fact, when I played Civ IV, I didn't notice it at all, and it became a nuisance. I hope they don't add them back in.

I think that if they do it has to fit from the viewpoint of CiV and how that game is built, not on the premise from CiIV's design.The world in the modern day is generally a global corporate market. It seems to fit how the world evolved and developed. It all started from banking brought on by the Knights Templar. There should be something in place to continue where religion will leave off. Why not mold the late game as it is in the modern world. Then they can upgrade the idea in a new direction for the Future Era, where corporations and the like would phase out.

So we go from religion, to corporations or a new interesting idea that fits purpose for CiV, into the mystery of the future.

1. Nuclear, aeronautics, and oil based corporations would not be a problem right now because many times those resources are redundant if you aren't fielding a military in your game. No incentive to acquire them. Just sell them. That would be a significant upgrade over what we have.

2. Jewelry corporations would work based on the three luxuries. You would be able to acquire more once you establish Sid's Jewlers or whatever.

3. As far as food corporations, we have deer/sheep/cow. So I am not sure why they can't add rice and corn and the works. Albeit it gets redundant but would serve a purpose late in the game. Obviously these resources aren't trade items. Meaning these resources can serve as domestic corporations. Maybe even as simple as a domestic wonder that multiplies based on how many of these resources you have. Only question is would it multiply across your empire or only that city and the tiles it works. Many domestic/national wonders as is multiply across the board..... ie) national college. Or maybe you need a Great Person to build one to give it a little more significance as opposed to any other building. The key is you have to be able to somehow expand and spread this domestic corporation internationally for it to work differently than a simple national wonder or a regular building for that matter, although many corporations focus primarily on its domestic consumer base, so maybe just have these "domestic" corporations remain unique for each civ, acquiring "traits" as you would "beliefs".

5. Cotton and silk can form another multinational clothes corporation.

6. Alcohol corporation would fit with wheat and wine, but only one of those is exchangeable.

7. Standard Ethanol could still work if they had more biological resources but we still have sugar and wheat.

8. Metal/industry. Could have more than just iron. I guess coal could fall into this as well. I never get why they took out the copper requirement for spearman. Hoplites and Immortals would be even more effective if it were a precious resource.

Plus I don't know why they got rid of the Ivory requirement for civs that have special Elephant units. Even though it isn't strategic. I still think you should require the luxury to get those units, and make the units that much more deadly should those resources be acquired by Siam/India.

Didn't War Lords come out a year later? The two year gap here may seem more like a one off and be done with it.

But yeah, another two year gap wouldn't be too late. I would think Civ VI would be more of a priority then. We'll see.

Right now, the modern game in anything but the modern game. The UN as is is a joke. It's basically all military and nuclear war.

I LOVE Corporations (and Espionage, and Religions) in cIV and I was having a lot of trouble getting into ciV because of their absence. I agree with the comment by Arioch that Corporations were sort of a late game version of Religions, but I just thought they added so much interms of really making your cities production or food or culture powerhouses. I always look forward to the corporation "phase" of the game in cIV. I personally find it one of the most enjoyable parts of the game.

I can see why alot of people dont like Corporations, Religions, Espionage. What I find is that most of the time people find those systems too complicated (ie., I don't understand it, so I don't like it). I can sympathize with those folks because I admit it takes a lot of work to become familiar with how the Religion, Corporation and especially the Espionage systems work and how you can use them for great benefit to your game.

Another thing I have encountered alot playing in Pitboss and Multiplayer is that Players first learn to play by training against the AI, and then when they feel that they are "good" they move on to challenge humans. However, when playing humans, you quickly discover that humans are far more innovative than the AI, and develop all kinds of strategies and tactics that the AI would never use. Some players deal with this by learning the tactics and using them, but most simply label the innovative tactic as an "exploit" and try to just ban it.

In my experience, that's a very common complaint against Corporations and Espionage, that they are full of exploits and they are too hard to understand and that people "rarely use them". I think that is because the AI doesent use them much, or or use them effectively, so players dont learn to deal with them, and then just dont want to be bothered with it once they have settled into a certain comfotable way of playing. I am just not one of those people. I love learning new ways of playing.

All that being said, I would be glad to see corporations return in Civ 5.

They're already putting in religion and espionage, which won't be easy to balance (especially since religion seems more complicated than in IV). On top of that, there's 9 new civs and a bunch of new units/buildings/wonders to deal with as well. There's already enough in this expansion. Putting in more would probably be too many variables to balance, even for an expansion pack.

Yeah corps were pretty pointless in Civ4, and is just a late game version of religion without the diplomatic dimension that the AI didn't really understand.

With Ed Beach confirming that there will be an inflection point somewhere in the game as the emphasis switches from religion to your political system, adding a 2nd tier of religion doesn't make much sense.

Although I do agree the current religion system is flexible enough to be reworked into corporations, I would much rather corporations if they are to come in to be slightly differently than religion.

One idea is to have each civ automatically found a corporation when the tech is discovered.

How far and wide these corporations spread will depend on
1) economic orientation (new feature tied to social policies)
2) # of open borders (or a related new trade agreement)

And their primary benefit will be to add :c5gold::c5culture::c5food::c5happy::c5production: or :c5science: Depending of the type of corporation.

That way, your late game diplomatic game is impacted, but there's no clickly vanity units to have to move around or the annoying spamming of corporations by the AI found in Civ4.

It would be more of a background feature. And for it to work, there was to be a fair trade off to go all out soviet style closed economy to a free market one.

I don't necessarily want corporations, but I'd like to be able to do something with my excess resources beyond building more units. Iron practically becomes obsolete with gGunpowder. I'd like new buildings or improvements that consume resources steel mills for example), and I want the ability to produce new luxury resources. Have Gold and Gems and no one to trade them to, because there's three civs who each have one source of Ivory and Fur, and selling doesn't make sense because you already make 200 gold every turn ?
Have a building that consumes 1 Gold and 1 Gems to produce Jewelry, a new luxury resource. Other resource combinations for new luxuries may be Silver + Pearls, Cotton or Silk + Dyes, Wine + Spices etc.
But alas it won't be in the game or they would have announced it.

Corps can be taken many ways. What I suggest in my earlier post was setting it back more as a passive element that is affected by your political decisions and SP choices.

But corps can also be brought forward and turned into wonders. The catch is, in a market economy, the wonders are rewarded to you pre-built by spending a great mechant.

In a command economy, you have to devote shields to them and great engineers can only complete half of it meaning you'd need at least 2 of them.

The effects of the corps themselves will be different between a market economy vs. a command one.

Also a big NO to moving executives around to 'spread your corporation'. I hate microing stuff like that, and makes no sense in modern market economies anyways.

I think concepts like this will make corps truly interesting

Yea corps are great, but the main annoyance is all the MM.:mad: I would preference a simple click and spend approach to spreading the corporation, or maybe even an auto-spread function, or spread queue. Just get rid of the tedious executives.

We need MORE corporations not none. Maybe a meat company, and/or a alcohol company that would use grapes and grains. What about a clothing company to compete with the meat company? What about a chain Grocery store that uses all the food resources but competes with many others? The corporation game has so much potential for the late game

Top Bottom