Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - General Discussions

Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Pojman
Chieftain

Success with Sitting Bull

I just had a very successful diety game using Sitting Bull as the civilization. It was my first time ever trying out the Native American civilization, and I was whipping some butt bigtime.

The philisophical trait kept my economy supercharged with great people, and I went bonkers on the dog soldiers early on.

Anyone else do well with Sitting Bull? I think that he is overlooked.
Pojman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Little Faith
Warlord

Dogs are outright broken if you play on a difficulty where the AI doesn't start with archery.

And, yes. Phi is awesome for powering through the classical/medieval age tech-wise.

Really there are only two bad things about Sitting Bull:
1. You cannot axe-rush on higher difficulty settings (which isn't that much of an issue as axe-rushes tend to suck at higher difficulties anyway).
2. Starting with fishing spoils the great scientist bulb path towards machinery, which is a crying shame for a leader who is otherwise so ideally set up for crossbow rushes. (You can still go the Oracle-engineer route, but that hinges on getting the Oracle wich is not always an option).
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:03 AM   #3
BurN
Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pojman View Post

Anyone else do well with Sitting Bull? I think that he is overlooked.
I think he`s one of the best all round deity leaders. High exp archers against inevitable dows. No resource BW unit for barb def. Then philo is a non-commiting trait. He`s great in being all round. But if I want to do `great`... he`s not the first guy I would think of.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:37 AM   #4
Zx Zero Zx
Deity

He is one of the safest leaders to play Deity on, the vast majority of staying in the tech game on Deity is bulbing. And fending off Shaka with Dogs, and City Defender 3 Drill 1 Archers is a sinch.
Zx Zero Zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2012, 03:02 AM   #5
Seraiel
Evil > More Evil > Cats

Sitting Bull is well known for XBow Rush on Deity and MP, at least I thought that...
Seraiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2012, 04:25 AM   #6
Iranon
Deity Whipping Boy

He's possibly my least favourite. After sinking a trait and a UB (both contenders for the weakest) into better archery units I don't need a resourceless UU, and I'd usually prefer regular Axemen over Dogs.
Having it relatively easy to choke/disconnect others' resources supply would be nice if the axeman stand-in didn't prefer facing metal-dependent troops to facing archers.

PHI is a very decent trait, but not enough to make me consider Sitting Bull good or even average. More acceptable on Deity than on any other level though.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 04:40 AM   #7
rugbyLEAGUEfan
Deity

The resources UU also opens up some nice early wonder options on high levels that would otherwise be unavailable without a means to defend oneself . And PHI works nicely with early wonders .
rugbyLEAGUEfan is offline   Reply With Quote