Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - General Discussions

Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Archon_Wing
Hater

Citizens don't care who protects them?

As you all know, if you leave a city ungarrisoned and larger than size 3, you will get unhappiness for fearing for their safety, thus you need to have a guy in them.

But apparently it doesn't matter whose guy it is. If an AI moves his guy into your city and you're not at war with them, the unhappiness goes away!

Not that you can rely on this since the AI always runs his guys around, but I find it strange that my citizens would feel safe because some random strangers decided to hang around. Though it could lead to some funny things if you're playing coop with someone... Open Borders has its benefits.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:16 PM   #2
SyntaxError

Wow that is very interesting to know. Definitely strange behavior though.
SyntaxError is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:16 AM   #3
TLF
Prince

I once forgot to leave a unit garrisoned and got the 'we fear for our safety' message.
I didn't have any military nearby, they were out scouting, but I did have a scout nearby so I sent him to the city and that was enough to pacify the masses.

A scout and they no longer fear.
TLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:45 AM   #4
RD-BH
Human

Sadly, they prefer strangers to their own scouts/explorers.
RD-BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:28 AM   #5
huh?
Warlord

Does a plane or ship satisfy the requirement as well?
huh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:40 AM   #6
Ghpstage
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by huh? View Post
Does a plane or ship satisfy the requirement as well?
Aircraft don't, even your own. Nor do ships unless its a transport carrying land units, i'm not 100% certain if other civs units onboard ships count but as the mechanics are gewnerally the same for units regardless of owner then I think its safe to assume it works.
Rivals units even add happiness under HR....

Its all a bit pointless as it can't be relied on, even if it does occasionally add a little output from some city by reducing in the odd game.
Ghpstage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:30 AM   #7
Choggy
Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLF View Post
I once forgot to leave a unit garrisoned and got the 'we fear for our safety' message.
I didn't have any military nearby, they were out scouting, but I did have a scout nearby so I sent him to the city and that was enough to pacify the masses.

A scout and they no longer fear.
Is this true? So you could just keep producing and garrisonning cheap scouts/explorers under HR and never worry about about hitting your happy cap? I thought they had to be military units.
Choggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:19 AM   #8
capnvonbaron
Democratia gladii

In BTS scouts/explorers don't fulfill the garrison req'. However a dirty man with a club does, and they're about the cheapest thing around. So save them warriors!
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:00 AM   #9
TheWilltoAct
I am observe

Choggy-

You may already be aware of this strategy but, some people will avoid connecting metals so they can continue making warriors.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:08 AM   #10
Graffito
Emperor

But only in one city...
Graffito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:14 AM   #11
Choggy
Prince

@ WillToAct - I was aware of this, but thanks anyway.

On a related note though, if you found a city (not on a river or coast) and don't connect it to your trade network, at what point can you no longer build warriors in it?
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:30 AM   #12
AutomatedTeller
Frequent poster

probably when you get gunpowder.

AutomatedTeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:22 PM   #13
lymond
Rise Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomatedTeller View Post
probably when you get gunpowder.
hmm...I wonder if it might be later like Rifling/MS. Nothing upgrades to a Musket and you can still build Mace at GP.

As for the OP, I found out about the foreign MP deal some time ago when I was in HR and was checking a city screen to find that I had like 40 happies in the city. Some AI was passing a large SOD through my land on the way to fight someone else and it happened to be parked in that city on that turn.
"Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity." Christopher Morley

lymond's YT Channel - Watch me play Civ4 poorly / CFC GameOftheMonth(GOTM) Page / CFC Hall of Fame(HOF): HOF Forum CFC HOF Site - play games that matter
lymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 02:27 PM   #14
Ataxerxes
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggy View Post
Is this true? So you could just keep producing and garrisonning cheap scouts/explorers under HR and never worry about about hitting your happy cap? I thought they had to be military units.
As vonBaron said, they have to be military units. But warriors don't cost any more than scouts and less than explorers. So yes you could just use HR units for happiness. But HR isn't efficient later in the game when Republic and even Universal Suffrage become available.

Ships and planes don't count and, oddly enough, the powerful Gunship doesn't make them feel safer, even though the gunship could take out a lot of warriors. Maybe the club is a pacifier.
Ataxerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:02 PM   #15
Choggy
Prince

Cheers for the responses guys, I've another question regarding Warriors but I've posted it in a new thread as it's not related to this one.

Back on topic, I get the OP's point about multi-player fun and games, if you garrison a few units in another player's city with OB and they're not paying attention to their city management you could wait until it grows to its happy cap and then...just move out, sending their city into unhappiness.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:10 PM   #16
r_rolo1
King of myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymond View Post
hmm...I wonder if it might be later like Rifling/MS. Nothing upgrades to a Musket and you can still build Mace at GP.
Hum ... both pikes and maces upgrade to Rifles and Grens. This means that they aren't obsolete until you have both Rifling and MS or Ass. Line + Rifling ( Infantry ) that obsoletes both Rifles and Grens. So you might build warriors until you get both Rifling and MS or Rifling and Ass Line ... Does that means that, if you avoid Rifling and iron/copper , you can build warriors until the end of the game ? ( needs testing )

Anyway, fun fact: Gunships are not elegible for military police Found that the hard way after mass upgrading my HR chariots :/

My Civ lema: Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur

Lonely Hearts Club Bullpen / You , Yourself and your shadow : Some lessons on isolated starts
r_rolo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:19 PM   #17
yturk39
Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
As you all know, if you leave a city ungarrisoned and larger than size 3, you will get unhappiness for fearing for their safety, thus you need to have a guy in them.

But apparently it doesn't matter whose guy it is. If an AI moves his guy into your city and you're not at war with them, the unhappiness goes away!
Sometimes I'll deliberately move my garrison troop away from the city to a tile where he's able to return the following turn. It's kind of my unspoken way of telling the visiting Civ, "Yes, I see you're scoping me out. While you're at it, my boys here could use a stretch. Thanks!"
"Amidst the rush of worldly comings and goings, observe how endings become beginnings. Things flourish, each by each, only to return to the Source...to what is and what is to be." -- Tao Te Ching, Verse 16
yturk39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:21 AM   #18
ruff_hi
Live 4ever! Or die trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWilltoAct View Post
You may already be aware of this strategy but, some people will avoid connecting metals so they can continue making warriors.
And this is another benefit of the Inca - their 'warrior' replacement isn't superseded by axes.

"I found this great mod! Have you heard of it? It gives me everything I need!" - Troy Goodfellow's wife talking about the BUG mod | Spawn Busting: All the cool guys are doing it!

Out of pocket from April 8 to 9
ruff_hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2012, 02:36 PM   #19
MilesBeyond
Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_rolo1 View Post
Hum ... both pikes and maces upgrade to Rifles and Grens. This means that they aren't obsolete until you have both Rifling and MS or Ass. Line + Rifling ( Infantry ) that obsoletes both Rifles and Grens. So you might build warriors until you get both Rifling and MS or Rifling and Ass Line ... Does that means that, if you avoid Rifling and iron/copper , you can build warriors until the end of the game ? ( needs testing )
Just tried it out. Unfortunately, it looks like Warriors will get replaced by Machine Guns, so you can only have them up until Railroad (which is necessary for Combustion so you can't really skip it).
Old Mar 09, 2012, 04:16 PM   #20
TLF
Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvonbaron View Post
In BTS scouts/explorers don't fulfill the garrison req'. However a dirty man with a club does, and they're about the cheapest thing around. So save them warriors!
You may be right.

I recently played one game of Warlords and it might have been in that game.
I'm not certain.
TLF is offline   Reply With Quote