11 religions = 22 max civs in a game?

Bonci

King
If the max number of religions in a game is given by the half of the civs does it mean that the max number of civs per game will be 22?

I would use a more sophisticated rule for the number of religions, not half of the civs in the game
Something exponential based. And it should be semi-random of course

I would use a more sophisticated rule for the number of religions, not half of the civs in the game
Something exponential based. And it should be semi-random of course

I agree, so that if you have 6 players you might have 2, 3 or 4 religions. Adds variety per game I think.

Though it does seem the amount of religions equals 50% of the amount of civs in general.

Could be. The maximum now is also 22.

Yeah. This would also go a long way towards explaining why there are 11 religions in the game (I remember commenting that this was such an oddly random number).

They don't seem to have done anything to reduce the processing requirements of the game and therefore there will be no expansion of civs per game beyond the current maximum of 22.

Just because they haven't upped the requirements doesn't mean they aren't doing optimization. As it is my computer specs "should" be able to handle every civ in the game at once. Hopefulyl this is something they address as I enjoyed huge 18 civ games in Civ4 and I'd liek to be able to do it in 5.

I don't expect to run Civ5 smoothly until I build my next CPU in a few years. IBT remains choppy in the late game with screen blacking out for a few seconds sometimes.

I have a fairly capable rig, i7 processor with 4 cores a decent GPU with perhaps a bottleneck in RAM that I may expand to 8 gigs , but I wouldn't dream of playing with 22 civs on. I suspect G&K features will add another few seconds of processing per turn

Large map games is where the sweet spot for me is :)

I agree, so that if you have 6 players you might have 2, 3 or 4 religions. Adds variety per game I think.

Though it does seem the amount of religions equals 50% of the amount of civs in general.

Making the number of allowed religions random would be terrible. The biggest problem is that there is no good way to communicate the actual maximum in a game. Consequently, a player would only find out when trying to found a religion if the maximum is already met.

For variation it could be allowed as an advanced setup choice.

Making the number of allowed religions random would be terrible. The biggest problem is that there is no good way to communicate the actual maximum in a game. Consequently, a player would only find out when trying to found a religion if the maximum is already met.

For variation it could be allowed as an advanced setup choice.

I'm sure if that was the case, the number of religions allowed would be displayed in game. Probably under Religious Advisor, if they add one.

I do agree it shouldn't be random though. It should be pre-determined by the number of civs.

Halving it is a workable compromise between giving people access to all religions, and setting a random number, which will require GUI additions.

I think it should go into advance options for people to tweak, but 11 religions may well be the machine limit, in terms of it not taking too long to process.

They may have budgeted only a set number of cpu time for religion. There's a lot of balance issues, and it is a trade off. I think their solution is fair.

An Advanced Menu setup would actually make some sense, but I'm fine either way.

I think it should go into advance options for people to tweak, but 11 religions may well be the machine limit, in terms of it not taking too long to process.

It may also just be the limit of belief development that they want to do.

11+ Founder (to allow all 11 and a few extra padding)
22+ Follower (again, requirement + padding)
22+ Pantheon (everyone can one, + padding)
11+ Enhancer (assume all religions get enhanced + padding)
add extra padding for Byzantiums bonus (or other bonuses).

That's quite a few different single line items that need to be balanced and cover areas of the gameplay mechanics without overlapping too much or being UP/OP.

^ very true. Balancing will take a while given the modular approach to religion this time around.

Increasing it to more than 11 would require more modules, unless they allow the same module to be picked by more than religion as an advance option.

I do hope they eventually increase the maximum number of civilizations in games. Computers are continuing to get more powerful, eventually there will be machines able to handle all 33 (or, in the future, more) civilizations on a map size even larger than the current "Huge" size.

I do hope they eventually increase the maximum number of civilizations in games. Computers are continuing to get more powerful, eventually there will be machines able to handle all 33 (or, in the future, more) civilizations on a map size even larger than the current "Huge" size.

True, but I never played with max civ. I think i did it once in Civ3 with all 16, (pre PTW)

But that was a sleek game that ran on almost anything. I was using my old 400 MHZ machine to run the vanilla game, upgraded to P4 3ghz rig in 2003 for C3C and could have played with all 32? Civs in a huge map, but I preferred slightly less.

With Civ5, with the graphics/draw distance being an issue, it will not be just an issue of CPU power, but how powerful your graphics card is.

For most people, they will likely be upgrading their CPU to go up 1 or 2 map sizes but mostly to get smoother turns and shorter IBT.

Thats what I expect for myself anyways.

Top Bottom