"Civilopedia and Quotes" Help Center for C2C

Azurian

The Azurian
Need help thinking of a Civiliopedia entry for your new Units/Civ/Etc.. and Quotes and an Entry for your Tech for Caveman2Cosmos? I can help with Civilopedia entries while you worry about the more interesting parts of modding Caveman2Cosmos.

Please Use The Following Format:

Name of Unit, Building, Hero, Leader, Tech, etc..:
A sentence or two of what the main focus of the entry should be..(ex. Birds- Focus on Flight and Feathers)

I am also willing, if it is alright with Azure, to contribute by filling the civilopedia.

Alright with me, anybody can help!

Regarding the civilopedia, we might want to put in information about the new crime and fire. I'm sure the newcomers would be thankful, because I'm sure they ain't got a clue as to what it is. Heck, I'm still not too clear in all it's effects.

Lol true. I only recently found out what they meant. Hell, I didnt even realize the crime icon were handcuffs till someone pointed it out to me :D

C2C Concepts- Crime and Law Mod

The Crime and Law Mod adds a new game-play element to Civilization 4. Crime is measured as "Local Instability", and When enough Local Instability occurs, a specific Crime exists in a city. Criminal Buildings increase Local Instability and Decrease Espionage, while Law Buildings, Posts, and Punishments Decrease Local Instability and Increase Espionage.

How Crime is Activated
The potential for Crime is enabled when you research specific Techs like Chiefdom. For example when you research Chiefdom, the ability for Crime (Gangs) to occur is enabled, but exists in the city when its Local Instability Threshold is breached. For example Crime (Arson) has Local Instability Threshold of +250.

Population also generates Local Instability in a city, the higher the Population the more Local Instability it generates.

Criminal Buildings
Crime Buildings = -Espionage + Gold + Local Instability +Anger +Unhealthiness+ Special Benefits

Crime is spread around a city when you create Criminal Buildings in a city like Assassin's Den and Drug Lord's Mansion. This Criminal Buildings provide +Local Instabilty Per Turn. They provide beneficial bonuses and enable special units like Thief and Rogue. Criminal buildings can easily give away all your secrets which reduces in a negative to Espionage, but make up for it by the increase gold from its illegal operations.

Remember that Dog Units can see thieves. However you have to wait until the late prehistoric era to get them. Thus you could potentially spot thieves without ever building a thief yourself.

Law Buildings
Law Enforcement = + Espionage -Gold - Local Instability
Law Buildings decrease Local Instablity Per Turn in each city,and increase Espionage but cost Gold for enforcement. Some Law Buildings provide special bonus like Chief's Hut which provides bonus Experience for Recon Units and others like the Courthouse reduce Maintenance Costs.

Posts like Town Patrol and Sentry Post provide special bonuses against Rival Spies, and a small handful of City Defense .

Punishment
Punishments like Crucification Crosses and Guillotine provide a Local Stability Bonus per Turn per City.

C2C Concepts- Crime and Law Mod

This is incorrect as it stands, but once the terminology and a few inaccuracies are fixed it reads well.

Crime is NOT the same as local instability.

Crime is a new property used only by the crime system.

Local instability is a pre-existing REV concept, which is still used by REV and is entirely independent of crime.

(REV) stability (local or national) is all about how your populace feels about your empire and its rule over them (it's inherently political). Crime is all about how much apolitical criminal activity is going on.

In the real workld these clearly have touching points, but because REV and crime are independent mods included in C2C they behave independently. I doubt we'll ever have REV stability modify crime, but we may do the converse. We may even rewrite (the essense of) REV using the property system at some point, but it's well down the priority list.

Crime does not effect espionage

Having made both of the above points, it is currently true that MANY (most??) of the crime/anti-crime building also HAPPEN to have local stability/espionage modifiers that make what you say true in a general 'trending' sort of way. However, that's only a feature of the current XML balance and may change. It is basically on exactly the same footing that most research buildings have a gold cost, but you wouldn't say in a general Pedia artical about research that 'it lowers gold production' I don't think (which is the analog of what you've said here).

I would remove the explicit linking of crime to espionage/local instability in the main txt, but mention in a paragraph at the end that increased crime tends to lower espionage and increase local instability. That way the main text would describe the mechanic of crime itself, and the final paragraph would illuminate what amounts to a current balance decision.

Top Bottom