Pre-ordered mine from Play.com for 30% less than Steam

TPQ

Cogito Ergo Civ
Hi all,

I just pre-ordered my copy of Gods and Kings from Play for £13.99, which I note is 30% cheaper than Steam's £19.99. Also, Play is offering free delivery.

I don't know why Steam, who only provides ones and zeros, should be more expensive than a company that sends you physical media, but I just wanted to give you all the information so you can save a bit of cash if you want.

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/29734921/0/Sid-Meier-Civilization-5-Gods-Kings/ListingDetails.html

No, I don't work for Play.com and I have no interest in their success or failure as a business beyond my interest as a consumer. Just trying to help out fellow Civ Fanatics. ;)

When is the delivery date? I expect that if you get free delivery, it would not arrive for several days.

If you want to play as soon as release, it's not worth the savings. On the other hand, if you aren't in a hurry, it's a great idea.

I don't know why Steam, who only provides ones and zeros, should be more expensive than a company that sends you physical media
Because of the ease-of-use.
Ordering from Steam almost always is more expensive, with all games, because of the ease of use and instant-delivery.

You should see Steam's extra 30% as a lazyman's fee :)

When is the delivery date? I expect that if you get free delivery, it would not arrive for several days.

If you want to play as soon as release, it's not worth the savings. On the other hand, if you aren't in a hurry, it's a great idea.

I read that outside UK (but within EU) it would take 7-10 days.

I don't know why Steam, who only provides ones and zeros, should be more expensive than a company that sends you physical media, but I just wanted to give you all the information so you can save a bit of cash if you want.
Steam can charge more because it is so widely known.
I am sure you realize that the people that know play.com are a tiny fraction of those that know Steam? :D Of course they know and take advantage from this :p

For new releases i always got games within 3 working days (I live in Italy). Games are usually shipped from the stores earlier than release dates so that the delay is minimum
Yeah, the last time I ordered a CD I got it the release day, so that means that they must have sent it the day before :)

Edit: But then again, there is a difference with a CD that takes a day delivery and 7-10 days for a game :(

I pre-ordered Halo 3 from game and got it the day before the release date. It's all a matter of postman-chance with physical copies.

I like steam because its cheaper for those with patience though :)

50% off at christmas? Yes please.

I don't know why Steam, who only provides ones and zeros, should be more expensive than a company that sends you physical media

Steam sells the game at the recommended retail price, which they have to do if 2Kgames want retailers to stock the game. No retailer is going to stock the game if the digital download is cheaper. And there are still too many people who don't have the bandwidth to download a full sized game for game publishers to ignore the bricks and mortar channel. Play has business model where they sell CD, DVDs and games at low margin but high volume, lower margins than a bricks and mortar store.

Top Bottom