Sharku

Chieftain
Anyone else notice this?
Guilds
Era: Medieval
Requires: Currency
Leads to: unknown
Unlocks: National Treasury, Machu Picchu, Trading Post, Polder, Wealth
You don't get trading posts until the medieval era now? How am I supposed to make money
and buy my way out of trouble now? Ugh I see a lot of pain in my future....

Moderator Action: Expanded the thread title.

Anyone else notice this?
You don't get trading posts until the medieval era now? How am I supposed to make money
and buy my way out of trouble now? Ugh I see a lot of pain in my future....

The trading post may now be an ALTERNATE gold generating building. There has been another building discussed that folks don't understand yet that may be another / earlier gold generating building.

Sure, it nerfs the income factor a bit, but it does the same across the board. All the civs you play against will have the same nerf. It may disrupt your usual build order a bit, but you will adapt.

I actually manage to get a very strong economy even without building trading posts. Just a trade network with a nice juicy empire and some trade with other civilizations gives me more money than I need.

Add in the fact that open borders trading has been pushed back and requires an embassy and early gold drops like a stone. At least I'm pretty sure open borders requires an embassy, but I know it, like all other diplo options has been pushed back. Well maybe no CS bribing will make gold less important.

Market Places now come earlier, which helps.

The way I play, in the early game the only units I buy are settlers, and I don't buy buildings. Most of the cash for buying settlers comes from barb camps. I don't start getting big money until I can string together some trade routes with roads and harbors. I don't think having trading posts later will effect me much.

Well, only a little bit earlier.

But how much gold will the marketplace bring if you cannot make gpt by building trading posts?

It would make starting locations without rivers very bad.

Perhaps it's being done because of those Founder Beliefs:
Church Property: +2 Gold for each City following Religion
Initiation Rites: +100 Gold when each City first converts to this Religion
Tithe: +1 Gold for every 4 followers of this religion

Market Places now come earlier, which helps.

It doesn't look to me like Markets come earlier, they are still at Currency, which still has the same prereqs it has in Vanilla. Other stuff comes later though. You can't sign RAs until Civil Service now, which will have 10 prereqs compared to the 5 it has now.

On a sidenote, with the Classical era expanded and a lot more prereqs early on, Medieval seems to be harder to get to, so I can foresee scenarios where you have completed Liberty or Tradition but you can't open up Patronage or Commerce yet.

Perhaps it's being done because of those Founder Beliefs:
Church Property: +2 Gold for each City following Religion
Initiation Rites: +100 Gold when each City first converts to this Religion
Tithe: +1 Gold for every 4 followers of this religion
You can only choose one though and only if someone else does not and if you get a religion in the first place. It looks like gold is going to be a massive problem. Meaning your going to be producing units and probably little else or else get flattened. Great.

You can only choose one though and only if someone else does not and if you get a religion in the first place.

Exactly. It incentivizes getting a religion and getting it before other civs. If you start in a money-poor location, you're going to want to get on that religion trail to make up for it.

Top Bottom