Civ 5 - Crashes at Loading Screen (New Patch!)

TheMarshmallowBear

Benelovent Chieftain of the Ursu Kingdom
Ever since the Beta patch came out, I've noticed that I'm completely unable to start the game. it loads the logos, the movie is either skipped or just appears, then the Wonder Splash appears, and then after several seconds I simply crash. no error message or nothing.

My game is more than well to run the game (medium-high settings, everything appears fine)

I've tried
*Validating the Cache (it keeps reporting a broken file, I nothing seems to download (or it download extremly fast, it also "Completles Installation" when I launch the game
*Reinstalling the whole game (i was hoping it simply was a case of bad game download)
*Deleting all of my save data (my whole My Games folder) (not that I lost anything anyways)
*Updating both the DirectX (I think?) and my graphics drivers.

I don't use mods (since they disable achievements), I've been able to play just fine before the patch/beta patch. So this is defeniately caused by the new patch

Attached below is my latest DxDiag

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    42.5 KB · Views: 695
Did you verify until the message, "All files successfully validated"? Sometimes it takes quite a few tries after a patch, especially if there was a game in progress.

Do you have any .mdmp files in your Civ 5 program folder? If you do, and they are dated today, I would love to see them.

Thanks!

Strange.. the only two files end ing mdmp are dated 2012-05-21 and 23..

Yet I keep crashing

And I can't seem to finish validating, once it gets to 100%, it says that there is a broken file, I don't know if ANYTHING downloads, I launch, it then tells me "Completing Installatoini" but the game crashes, and if I validate files again, it crashes.. AGAIN

Once it finishes validating, I'm going to turn off the CoreThreading in config.ini.. maybe that will do something.. fingers crossed.

Nope, still crashes.

And every time I validate it keeps saying that something needs to be re-download, but I don't really see anything being downloaded.. so maybe its' Steam Client related?

I've validated twice in a row without starting the game. It reported no errors in the files the second time it validated. I launched the game, and it said "Completing Installation" and went up to 98% before the Launch box disappeared and the game started.. STill crashed. I am now assuming that if I validate the game, it will report a missing/broken file.

I was right, my game again discovers a "broken" file... I don't udnerstand, I just want my game back!

I have what seems like the exact same problem.
I've tried all the same things and completely deleted the "my games" folder as well.
I can't access the config.ini file to change core-threading options because the game crashes before generating the ini file, at least that's my theory. No change for DX11/DX9

The core-threading option doesn't even work.. you should try contacting dshirk on this forum, maybe he'll help you, just be warned, it's weekend, not likely to get a reply from them :(

I have what seems like the exact same problem.
I've tried all the same things and completely deleted the "my games" folder as well.
I can't access the config.ini file to change core-threading options because the game crashes before generating the ini file, at least that's my theory. No change for DX11/DX9

Have you also deleted local content under steam and tried to re-download the whole game? After deleating local content, exit steam. Reboot the computer and start steam fresh. Then download the game.

@TheKingOfBigOz -- Do the file names in any of your Civ5-related paths contain non-English characters?

@TheKingOfBigOz -- Do the file names in any of your Civ5-related paths contain non-English characters?

I don't think so.. even though I have a polish windows, none of the patsh going into the Civ 5 files contain any non-english characters.

Hello guys.
Same problem here. Polish win xp. Basic Civilization V with Mongols DLC only.
Validation indicated one file to be reaquired.
Please fix it so that we can play this magnificent game.

Hello guys.
Same problem here. Polish win xp. Basic Civilization V with Mongols DLC only.
Validation indicated one file to be reaquired.
Please fix it so that we can play this magnificent game.

Could you tell me in detail? Are you able to run the game, but after selecting your play options, or do you crash immediately when trying to get in the game?

Could you tell me in detail? Are you able to run the game, but after selecting your play options, or do you crash immediately when trying to get in the game?

You know shirk, I too have Polish version of Windows Xp with Service Pack 3.. it always crashes after several seconds when the Loading Screen with Wonder Splash appears in the background.. but no mdmp file is created.

Anybody wondering : Removing the .wmv files away from the Civ 5 folder fixed my crashing.. I was right, I was the darn Intro again... I don't think it ever worked for me..

The details were exactly the same as TheKingOfBigOz's.
And removing wmvs helped. Thx a lot!:)

Great hint! Works for me too.
@Shirk: Tried the EnableGameCoreThreading proposal. Didn't work. Reversed changes. Removed wmv files -> OK. Game starts and I passed the first 5 five turns. Skipintro setting was '1' all the time. I hope you find out what went wrong. DXDiag attached.
Seriously, I can't believe you didn't test WinXP 32bit on Dualcores sufficiently...

Attachments

• DxDiag_Vostro200.txt
    42 KB · Views: 246
Thanks for all your advice.
Uninstalled again, deleted all related directories, restarted, a Windows update ran, and upon re-installing the game launches now!

Still crashes for me. I have
1. Deleted the entire folder: C:\Users\<user>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5
2. Uninstalled and re-downloaded CIV5 from steam. Even verified file integrity post download.
3. Deleted all wmv files.

Any other suggestions?

edit:dxdiag & mdmp's attached

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    31.9 KB · Views: 273
  • Sid Meier's Civilization V.7z
    43.7 KB · Views: 237
I hate to open an old thread but I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with the loading crashes? I have the very same thing going on and it's getting pretty frustrating.

Some theories suggest it's a compatability issue with ATI cards?

Any news anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
bassBeard

I have the same problem in that every time I try to verify integrity of game cache, it says 1 file needs to be redownloaded. EVERY time. My crashing is different from yours but I'm thinking there's a major problem with the way it verifies things.

Top Bottom