Gods and Kings Soundtrack

Morningcalm

Keeper of Records
The music in Gods and Kings is divine, as expected. Below you'll find links to some of the in-game songs and the original songs they are based on. I'd encourage you all to share your thoughts on the music in this thread! Feel free to provide more info/insight about the songs when you come across it.

Playlist of all in-game music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oliT3bG2Vfc&list=PL8E1E320586B60755&feature=plpp_play_all

Geoff Knorr's website also has a playlist of all the music, and it's easier to access individual songs from it, also has the scores for viewing:
http://www.geoffknorr.com/Video Games.html

Opening cinematic:
Composed by Michael Curran; Orchestrated by Geoff Knorr
Prague Filmharmonic Orchestra; Andy Brick, conductor
Jillian Aversa, Soprano
Daniel Moody, countertenor; Jacob L. Perry Jr., tenor
Matt Sullivan, baritone; Max Kuzmyak, bass

Link to video.

--------
Main theme, sung in Latin and taken from biblical text, specifically the hymn "Te Deum Laudamus" (Te aeternum Patrem omnis terra veneratur). The complete lyrics can be found in the score - see Michael Curran's website http://michaelcurran.net/audio.html and click on "view score." The original Te Deum song is also known as Ambrosian Hymn or A Song of the Church, and is attributed to two Fathers and Doctors of the Church, St. Ambrose and St. Augustine. It is one the most majestic chants in the Liturgy of the Church. It is sung in traditional seminaries and monastic houses at the Divine Office and for Double feasts of the First Class, The Nativity, Easter, Corpus Christi, Epiphany, Pentecost and those which have an Octave. The solemn Te Deum is sung on all occasions of public Church rejoicing (in Traditional Catholic Churches).

Original:

Link to video.

Original, Mozart rendition:

Link to video.

In-game:

Link to video.

-----------------
LEADER THEMES
In-game versions:
Composed by Michael Curran; Orchestrated by Geoff Knorr

Attila: Li Ling Si Han, or "Li Ling Thinks of Han."
A Chinese melody from ancient times about Li Ling, a Han Chinese military leader who, after demonstrating great bravery and skill in archery, was welcomed by the Xiongnu (ancient Huns, or ancestors of the Huns). The Huns had apparently taken Han leaders captive, slaughtered many Han Chinese troops. Li Ling was given a Xiongnu wife, and when the Emperor Han Wudi found out Li Ling was with the Xiongnu, he executed his wife and children. Yikes. Li Ling himself never returned to Han China, dying in Xiongnu lands.

Original Li Ling song:
http://www.silkqin.com/06hear/xltq/xl100lls.mp3

Here are the in-game versions:
Attila Peace (yeah right):

Link to video.

Attila War(RAZE IT ALL):

Link to video.

Boudicca: Lord Gregory, The Lass of Aughrim
The Irish ballad, "The Lass of Aughrim," based on a Child Ballad, "Lord Gregory," which was famously featured in James Joyce's short story, "The Dead." It is the story of a young girl who is made pregnant by a man, in some versions, against her will, and then seeks refuge after giving birth to his child. The Irish and Scottish versions differ, but have much cultural significance.

Original:

Link to video.

Maria Theresa : Requiem Mass in D minor.

Mozart's work. If you don't know it, you are an uncivilized brute who clearly has not sipped Viennese coffee and listened to the hills where music streams through the valleys.

Link to video.

Queen Dido of Carthage: Hymn to Nikkal.

This sounds similar to Nebuchadnezzar's theme, because both are taken from the same source: ancient Hurrian hymns and fragments. Nikkal was the wife of the moon god.

In-game:

Link to video.

Link to video.

Gustav Adolphus: Du Gamla, Du Fria
The Swedish National Anthem, instrumental version below.

Link to video.

In-game:

Link to video.

Haille Selassie: Traditional melody + Selassie's National Anthem

Unnamed traditional melody used, also the Ethiopian National Anthem from Selassie's time as leader. After Selassie's reign, the anthem was changed. The in-game track uses the national anthem about halfway through Haille's Peace theme.

Link to video.

In-game:

Link to video.

Pacal the Great: Traditional melody fragments
Unnamed Mayan melodies. The source material was probably similar to the source the composers used for the Incan music.

The War theme is a little odd, very ominous and creepy. APOCALYPSE.

Empress Theodora: Phos Hilaron, or "Hail Gladdening Light."

Civfanatics who suggested medieval chants got their wish: monks chanting for the Byzantines. Phos Hilaron is "an ancient Christian hymn, perhaps the oldest Christian hymns, dating from the 3rd or 4th century. We say it when a new liturgical day begins, at Vespers. It is an invitation to praise the One God in three "hypostas" at the moment when the physical light disappears and a new one should be lit: the light of wisdom." It's a song revered in Orthodox Christianity.

Link to video.

In-game version:

Link to video.

Credits:
Daniel Moody, countertenor; Jacob L. Perry Jr., tenor;

William of Orange: In Naam van Oranje
A well-known Dutch song whose title means "In the name of Orange."

Link to video.

In-game:

Link to video.

SCENARIOS

1. Fall of Rome

Link to video.
Based on a melody from the book "The Music of the Bible Revealed" by Suzanne Haïk-Vantoura. Has some of the instruments used in the Augustus theme, with an early Roman theme echoing sadly.

2. Medieval/Renaissance: Messe de Notre Dame
Medieval choral music by Guillaume de Machaut, a famous medieval poet and scholar. Messe de Notre Dame is the earliest known version of the Original Mass set to a melody, dating to the 14th century A.D. The song itself sounds spiritual and haunting.

Link to video.

Credits:
Daniel Moody, countertenor; Jacob L. Perry Jr., tenor;

3. Smoky Skies: Cherry Ripe
Based on a popular tune from the 19th century called "Cherry Ripe" by Charles Edward Horn.

Link to video.
The song reminds me of a quiet Christmas with snow falling and toys mysteriously moving in store windows. :)

Thanks!

The main theme and intro blew me away. Before I actually started a game, I listened to the entire main theme. The chorals are AMAZING. Exceeded expectations. What did you think of the music? I think Geoff Knorr and Michael Curran really outdid themselves. :)

Wow, that intro is beautiful and so are the Atilla themes.

Could you record the leader scenes from in-game? I want to hear Gustavus Adolphus introducing himself to the tune of our national anthem :D

Yeah, I think it's pretty awesome. I've always preferred the orchestral stuff to choral stuff, so that would perhaps prevent me from saying that I think it's absolutely amazing, but it's definitely carried off fantastically.

Thank you so much for this!! Are you the same guy that did these for Civ 5?

I do really hope G&K has LOUDER music ingame than vanilla Civ 5, at least on par with the volume in Civ 4.. I always barely hear the music in Civ 5, unless i turn down all other sounds, but that doesnt affect tech discoveries so whenever a tech is research a huge booming voice overpowers the music once again, sigh..

Amazing music, awful ingame sound mixing.
And setting the music volume in the .ini file to anything above 100.0 does not work, sadface :(

Is there any possibility of a mod that could raise the volume of the music? Without editing the music files themselves. Is it possible?

GustavBjorklund said:
Wow, that intro is beautiful and so are the Atilla themes.

Could you record the leader scenes from in-game? I want to hear Gustavus Adolphus introducing himself to the tune of our national anthem.

I don't have the equipment to record in-game leader scenes, unfortunately. But you could ask that guy on YouTube who uploaded all of the Civ 5 leader screen videos (though I wish he also had the Peace and Trade Requests recorded for them).

Yeah, I think it's pretty awesome. I've always preferred the orchestral stuff to choral stuff, so that would perhaps prevent me from saying that I think it's absolutely amazing, but it's definitely carried off fantastically.
Ah, I see. Do you prefer the vanilla Civ 5 theme to the Gods and Kings theme, you think?

Thank you so much for this!! Are you the same guy that did these for Civ 5?

I do really hope G&K has LOUDER music ingame than vanilla Civ 5, at least on par with the volume in Civ 4.. I always barely hear the music in Civ 5, unless i turn down all other sounds, but that doesnt affect tech discoveries so whenever a tech is research a huge booming voice overpowers the music once again, sigh..

Amazing music, awful ingame sound mixing.
And setting the music volume in the .ini file to anything above 100.0 does not work, sadface :(

Is there any possibility of a mod that could raise the volume of the music? Without editing the music files themselves. Is it possible?

You're welcome! No, I'm not the same guy who did them for Civ 5, but I did help some forumers find the original sources of the Viking music, and other DLC (I emailed Geoff Knorr).

The sound mixing is terrible, I'd suggest increasing your system volume before you launch the game, and then lowering the sound/ambience/etc from within the game options. Keep music at 100% since it won't go any higher.

It's inconvenient to do all that, and I agree with you, a mod would help out. The technology and wonder quotes in particular seem to be at very different volumes (wonders + age advances = ok volume, tech quotes = Excuse me, what did you say? I couldn't hear)

Will you upload the rest of leader themes? Can't wait to hear Dutch and Swedish themes in their full glory.

But Attila's music KICKS SO MUCH @$$ IT'S UNBEARABLE

Leader themes should be somewhere in the Assets folder of G&K, no need to record them in-game.

I'd love to hear some hidden gems from the Assets folder too, as some of the best music in vanilla was not the leader themes but rather random music from the different cultural music folders :)

Heck, i'm actually gonna make a bug report on the official forums about the music being too low since vanilla, maybe SOME dev that has a thing for music will agree and ask for a quick fix.

The music is wonderful!
I must withdraw my prejudices,I'm going to buy this expansion.

Good to hear, thanks for the informative and fun post! I likes most of the vanilla music but HATED the main menu music, and was worried since I loved Baba Yetu, liked the Warlords main theme, and really disliked BTS's. So good to hear that they redeemed themselves a bit in that department and didn't go the way of Civ IV themes. :)

If this forum had a rep mechanism, I'd give you all of it. :goodjob:

P.S. Anyone have a link to this thread for Vanilla? I'd love to see it!

The main menu theme isn't Baba Yetu, but it IS very good, a huge improvement over vanilla, which I didn't care much for. As for the rest of the themes, wow, just wow. Seriously, having such wonderful themes for each Civ was one of the main reasons why I kept going back to Civ V pre-patch when I hated the game.

Stellar work, a huge kudos to Geoff Knorr. The Byzantine and Carthage themes just blew me away.

Now let's hope for a patch so we can actually hear these themes ingame without being deafened by "BOO-DUDUUUUU Barbarian encampment discovered!" echoing through our apartments.

Top Bottom