Cannot load version XXX, expected version 302 or lower

Sundowner

Chieftain
Guys,

I've lurked here for a long time and love the forum. Finally at my wits end with a technical problem, I turn to you for help.

The problem is that when I try to download saved game files off the forum and load them I receive an error message that is seen above in the thread title. Additionally, when I attempt to load a game, any game with "WB" in the save name doesn't show up in my saved games list. Not sure how you're supposed to load those.
For instance, when I go to load games:
NC 101 Pacal Immortal.CivBeyondSwordSave will show up in the load games list
however
NC 101 Pacal Immortal.CivBeyondSwordWBSave will not show up in the list

I uninstalled my game today and then reinstalled the game via steam. It is Civilization IV Beyond the Sword. Upon installing I then installed BUG mod 4.4 without any problems. I can open the game, play games, save games, etc. (except those I download).

In the "ABOUT" section I get the following info:
Civ Version: 319
Save Version: 302
Build Version: 3.1.9.0 (128100)
Build Date: Thu May 14 09:17:10 2009
Build: FINAL RELEASE
Mod Name: Mods\BUG Mod 4.4\

When I save games that I start and open the saved files with Notepad++ I see what looks like junk. Lots of binary looking stuff. However all the saves I download have plain text that is clear in them.

example:
(save I downloaded from the forum)
Version=11
BeginGame
Era=ERA_ANCIENT
Speed=NONE
Calendar=CALENDAR_DEFAULT
Option=GAMEOPTION_NO_EVENTS
Victory=VICTORY_TIME
Victory=VICTORY_CONQUEST

(save from one of my games)
ÿð‰p¬,–£Ø҉|NÎÉqûUÕwïwëVÕ{_Ý÷ª{P}^÷ëûݪú¾ú¾ÚëûUÄ{‹‰péÏ<ø‹ˆ±¾gÅÿñW¶/þü@Ära{ƒ±S}Œ=ÓNDâÝ©ø3y+Äáò/ ]Œ

So you can see the data in the save files is very different. I can open the ones I started but not the ones that I download.

Additionally I opened world builder and saved some files. They saved with the plain text that looked just like the ones I download in the forum. However since I cannot figure out how to "load" a gave with the .CivBeyondSwordWBSave extension, I've never been able to attempt to load them. I renamed one of them to the .CivBeyondSwordSave extension but got the same error I get when attempting to load a downloaded game.

I also attempted to load a .CivBeyondSwordWBSave file as a scenario, and that just crashed Civ IV.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue? I've found a few other references both here and on other sites that recommended the uninstall and reinstall process I tried.

My system is Windows 7 64 bit.

Additionally, if it helps:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/29/2012, 23:31:00
Machine name:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
System Model: G73Jh
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/30/09 15:13:23 Ver: 08.00.10
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8116MB RAM
Page File: 4717MB used, 11514MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

The problem is that when I try to download saved game files off the forum and load them I receive an error message that is seen above in the thread title. Additionally, when I attempt to load a game, any game with "WB" in the save name doesn't show up in my saved games list. Not sure how you're supposed to load those.

For World Builder saves, use "Play Scenario" - and get them in the World Builder save directory.

For others, ensure they are from the same patch level and with the same mod you are using. Older forum saves might not be.

Top Bottom