Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > COLOSSEUM > World History

Notices

World History A worldwide forum for the history of the world.

Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:54 PM   #1
Gen.Mannerheim
Grand Moff

Top Ten Medieval Battles

I am curious as to which battles in Medieval History people think as important in the development of the era and Western World as well. I have been trying to create a top ten list (because hey, why not) however I am trying to limit the number of battles directly involving the England or the Hundred Years War, which is harder than it sounds. I would love suggestions accompanied with reason(s) for inclusion on the list

Personal list unordered so far

Battle of Bouvines (1214)
Battle of Ascalon (1099)
Battle of Tannenberg (1410)
Battle of Poitiers (1356)
Battle of Manzikert (1071)
Battle of Hastings (1066)
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:07 PM   #2
Dachs
Survivor

Screw importance. But you know what was a cool engagement? The Battle of Kleidion. Because it was a hackneyed mash-up of Byzantine historian battle cliches and impossible claims of brutality because THOUSANDS OF BLINDINGS GAISE
Dachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:12 PM   #3
Gen.Mannerheim
Grand Moff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachs View Post
Screw importance. But you know what was a cool engagement? The Battle of Kleidion. Because it was a hackneyed mash-up of Byzantine historian battle cliches and impossible claims of brutality because THOUSANDS OF BLINDINGS GAISE
Well anytime ole Basil II is involved its going to be a hoot. But more to the point at hand, Kleidion did lead to the end of the Bulgarian Empire so that inportant.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Wrymouth3
King

Roosebeeke, Charleroi, Golden Spurs, Kazan, Legnica, Blue Waters, Battle on the Ice. I really think stuff involving Italy could be put here but that's not my field.

"corruption' in New Zealand parlanace involves accepting show tickets from a developer or something"- Masada
Wrymouth3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:14 PM   #5
Dachs
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrymouth3 View Post
Battle on the Ice
hahaha what
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:16 PM   #6
Wrymouth3
King

Quote:
hahaha what
Excuse my recent viewing of Aleksandr Nevskii. I meant to say the Battle of Lake Peipus.

"corruption' in New Zealand parlanace involves accepting show tickets from a developer or something"- Masada
Wrymouth3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:18 PM   #7
Gen.Mannerheim
Grand Moff

Quote:
Roosebeeke, Charleroi, Golden Spurs, Kazan, Legnica, Blue Waters, Battle on the Ice. I really think stuff involving Italy could be put here but that's not my field.
Iím almost tempted to put the Siege of Bari (1068-71) because it kicked to Byzantines out of Italy and brought the Normans to prestige in Southern Italy, but they didnít stay in power too long themselves.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:21 PM   #8
Dachs
Survivor

Quote:
Excuse my recent viewing of Aleksandr Nevskii. I meant to say the Battle of Lake Peipus.
still wasn't an important engagement for anything except russian mythologizing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen.Mannerheim View Post
Iím almost tempted to put the Siege of Bari (1068-71) because it kicked to Byzantines out of Italy and brought the Normans to prestige in Southern Italy, but they didnít stay in power too long themselves.
byzantines didn't matter in italian politics by then anyway, try civitate
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:26 PM   #9
Gen.Mannerheim
Grand Moff

Quote:
byzantines didn't matter in italian politics by then anyway, try civitate
Good call on Civitate, capturing the Pope is kind of a big deal lol. The only other major Italian battle that comes to mind atm is Battle of Campaldino, but I donít know much of anything on the conflict between Guelphs and Ghibellines thing.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:27 AM   #10
Traitorfish
The Tighnahulish Kid

The most important battle was clearly Bannockburn, because something something Scottish nationalism something.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:39 AM   #11
Masada
Koi-san!

Pasunda Bubat? I can't actually think another decent example.

Scattering like snowflakes and clinging to my sleeves -
They are not blossoms but leaves falling from the cherry trees!
Masada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:21 AM   #12
ParkCungHee
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitorfish View Post
The most important battle was clearly Bannockburn, because something something Scottish nationalism something.
And Clontarf, because something something vikings something.
ParkCungHee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:39 PM   #13
Domen
GM of Teutonic Disorder

Quote:

How were Legnica or the battle on the Ice anything like "most important"?

If anything the battle of Mohi was much more important than Legnica.

And the battle on the Ice was a rather unimportant episode.

===================================

And what do you think about the battle of Hattin in 1187?

Was it important? Or was it unimportant because the Crusader States were doomed to collapse earlier or later anyway?

I would also add the battle of Las Navas de Tolosa of 1212 (practically decisive battle of the Reconquista).

Grunwald 1410 and Hastings 1066 are already listed.

The battle of Legnano of 1176 deserves to be listed too, I guess.

Legnica was unimportant outside Poland and its nearest neighbourhood, and even in Poland it was important only because duke Henry lost his live there (had he survived the battle, it would have been of no any long-term importance at all) - it should be replaced by the battle of Mohi in Hungary.

The battle of Kulikovo of 1380 is a potential candidate too - certainly much more important than the battle on Lake Peipus.

I doubt a Novgorodian defeat in the battle of Lake Peipus could change anything - maybe a slightly different border with the Teutonic State.

Donald Tusk singing a Christmas carol for all Europeans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7g3YKurDxw#t=196

Last edited by Domen; Aug 01, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Domen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:43 PM   #14
Domen
GM of Teutonic Disorder

Apart from Mantzikert also Yarmouk in 636 (if we count this as already "Medieval" period). Maybe also battle of the Durbe in 1260 - Lithuanian victory convinced them to become pagan again (as a consequence over 100 years later they accepted Christianity from & allied with Poland).

Also the battle of Nicopolis in 1396.

And year 955 saw 2 important victories for the HRE (and important defeats for its enemies):

- the battle of Lechfeld (10 August) and the battle of Recknitz (16 October)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Recknitz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lechfeld

The battle of Recknitz was decisive in the series of crusades against the Polabian Slavs.

This is also an important and quite extraordinary battle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Talas

And another battle important for the Islamic world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ain_Jalut

Donald Tusk singing a Christmas carol for all Europeans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7g3YKurDxw#t=196

Last edited by Domen; Aug 01, 2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:58 PM   #15
Gen.Mannerheim
Grand Moff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domen View Post
And what do you think about the battle of Hattin in 1187?

Was it important? Or was it unimportant because the Crusader States were doomed to collapse earlier or later anyway?

I would also add the battle of Las Navas de Tolosa of 1212 (practically decisive battle of the Reconquista).

Grunwald 1410 and Hastings 1066 are already listed.

The battle of Legnano of 1176 deserves to be listed too, I guess.

Legnica was unimportant outside Poland and its nearest neighbourhood, and even in Poland it was important only because duke Henry lost his live there (had he survived the battle, it would have been of no any long-term importance at all) - it should be replaced by the battle of Mohi in Hungary.

The battle of Kulikovo of 1380 is a potential candidate too - certainly much more important than the battle on Lake Peipus.

I doubt a Novgorodian defeat in the battle of Lake Peipus could change anything - maybe a slightly different border with the Teutonic State.
Hattin is pretty important, in the sense that after the loss the Kingdom of Jerusalem was decisively taken out of the game. Had they not lost the battle and Guy not been a total tard, the Kingdom might have very well survived in some state for some time like Antioch or Acre. I put Ascalon (1099) on the list because it helped ensure a long-term presence of the Franks in the Levant.

I really wish I knew more about the conflicts in Italy during this time other than the Normans in the south. I donít really know which of the plethora of HRE vs Italian battles were truly decisive.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:01 PM   #16
Dachs
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen.Mannerheim View Post
I donít really know which of the plethora of HRE vs Italian battles were truly decisive.
oh god the search for a decisive battle

kill me now
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:22 PM   #17
Traitorfish
The Tighnahulish Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkCungHee View Post
And Clontarf, because something something vikings something.
Can't forget Largs- something something vikings and Scottish nationalism something.

See, guys, this is easy. I don't know you're all making such a meal of it.

Bonus for points for those who get the irony that Largs was one of the most pointlessly indecisive battles in Scottish history.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:37 PM   #18
Gen.Mannerheim
Grand Moff

Quote:
Can't forget Largs- something something vikings and Scottish nationalism something.

What about the Battle of Epiphany - Scottish vikings vs Scottish vikings haha.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:53 PM   #19
Domen
GM of Teutonic Disorder

What about the Battle of Mozgawa 1195 - Poles vs Poles and Poles didn't win it (inconclusive).

Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:56 PM   #20
Ajidica
Nerevarine

Quote:

Bonus for points for those who get the irony that Largs was one of the most pointlessly indecisive battles in Scottish history.
I'm more impressed that the Scots have a history beyond killing English, kilts, and dour Presbyterianism.
Looking at the poster again, I also like the way that the baby is cocking its head and looking away from the doctor, as if to show that this not merely a skeletal Moai-baby, it's a particularly aloof and disinterested skeletal Moai-baby.-Traitorfish
Cynicism is boringly fashionable.-Ensign Flandry, Poul Anderson
Ajidica is offline   Reply With Quote