Lenovo or Asus (or does it not matter?)

Civrules

We the People
I'm looking to upgrade to something that is portable, durable, and reliable. I know Lenovo and Asus are probably the two best makers out there, but if I'm wrong correct me. I haven't researched the two in depth.

I was considering the MacBook Air also.

But either way, I wanna know which you think is the most reliable notebook maker out there and why.

Lenovo or Asus? Furthermore, I'm putting Linux on it, and I know Lenovo ThinkPads are Linux Certified.

First describe the main purpose of buying new laptop, how will you use it, what programs are going to be used, how often will you carry your laptop, and total budget. Both MacBook Air and Asus Zenbook serieses are very portable, 13.3'' models with 1.3 kg weight.

My Asus laptop came with a whole lot of crap installed, but if you are installing Linux, that is not a problem.

I'm using it for lots of internet/email/writing but also pictures, video editing, graphics editing. I want something that will last me and still be a solid computer after four years (like this one right now that I'm about to give away after I upgrade). I'll travel with it often, so I don't ned it to be a big clunker.

Budget is no more than 1500. So far the top choice is the IdeaPad Y580. I'd look into Asus but the problem is that their website is a pain in the @*$ to navigate and it takes forever to browse through their picks (or maybe I'm just ******ed and haven't figured it out yet :) ).

Asus is generally known for making reliable and technologically solid machines, build quality and finish can leave something to be desired though.

Apple is pricey but appealing if "soft" factors like build quality, display, speakers, touchpad, keyboard matter to you. You can expect them to be better-than-average in all of these; there will be surprises with most other vendors (good and bad) unless you do a lot of research.

Not much experience with Lenovo I'm afraid. What I heard is encouraging.

Top Bottom