Game crashes during ranged attacks

Hmmm, I'm running Service Pack 2, and I ran the DXSetup.exe file to make sure I actually have the most recent version of DirectX, but the launcher still says "update required" for the DX10/11 option.

:hmm: :confused:
Such a problem frequently appears if a person is under Win7, and Steam and/or Civ5 are in Vista compatibility mode. That does not apply to you, for sure.
But...maybe...could you check if Steam and Civ5 are maybe in another form of compatibility mode?
(how to check: right click on the .exe file -> properties -> tab for compatibility mode)

Every time I use Dx11 option, the game crashes within 5 minutes. Every time. I got sick of it and have had no crashes with 9.

Oh...uhm...
DxDiag please?
And have you already updated the graphics card drivers?

:hmm: :confused:
Such a problem frequently appears if a person is under Win7, and Steam and/or Civ5 are in Vista compatibility mode. That does not apply to you, for sure.
But...maybe...could you check if Steam and Civ5 are maybe in another form of compatibility mode?
(how to check: right click on the .exe file -> properties -> tab for compatibility mode)

Oh...uhm...
DxDiag please?
And have you already updated the graphics card drivers?

Checked both...everything is already updated. Tried again with D11, CRASH. Bombard locks up with Dx9. This game has been awesome but BUGGY from day 1 for me.

So I'm having this same problem since the patch. A barbarian comes within range of my city and I click to the bombard button, then click the hex to fire on, and the game freezes. I have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete and end the process.

I play in Dx9 because if I try to play Dx10/Dx11 my screen turns black with "Cannot Display This Video Mode" in the center, and I have to hard restart my computer on the minimum resolution settings to fix it. If you know of a fix for this problem, I will happily use this setting.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    25.3 KB · Views: 131
I just checked, neither Steam nor the game are running in compatibility mode.

....er...
Pretty lost in that case.
Deleting the .exe and then verifying the integrity of the files did it for another person, IIRC (not in this thread, I know I mentioned it here already too), so I'd suggest doing that. But else...:dunno:.

Checked both...everything is already updated. Tried again with D11, CRASH. Bombard locks up with Dx9. This game has been awesome but BUGGY from day 1 for me.

mmhh...then your DxDiag please (I thought you had that already somewhere, but I'm not able to find it, at the first glance).

I play in Dx9 because if I try to play Dx10/Dx11 my screen turns black with "Cannot Display This Video Mode" in the center, and I have to hard restart my computer on the minimum resolution settings to fix it. If you know of a fix for this problem, I will happily use this setting.

Not sure if it will help, but in Documents\My Games\Civ5 there should be a Dx11config.ini (or similar), and there it should also be mentioned in which resolution the game starts. Maybe there's a strange value mentioned, or at least something differing from your normal resolution. If so, I'd suggest that you try to correct it, to see if it makes a difference.

....er...
mmhh...then your DxDiag please (I thought you had that already somewhere, but I'm not able to find it, at the first glance).

No, I mentioned I did run this as well in my last post (ran both). I did the 64 bit test too and nothing popped up as a problem.

So I deleted the .exe and checked the integrity of the game cache, redownloaded the file, but it's still not letting me select the DX10/11 option.

When I run game on DX10-11 it has always crashed since I blew out my heatsink (I believe). I used to be able to run high-end graphics games on it before that, but I've been able to play Civ V just fine on DX9 before the update happened. Since then, single-player and multi-player have been crashing in one of two ways. One: bermuda-triangle effect of flashing lines and graphics glitches leading to a non-responsive Civ. Two: the exact same error described here, where I go to fire on a barbarian with my city ranged attack and it freezes after the red arching arrow is displayed going to the barbarian. I may be able to play DX 10-11 for a few minutes but not beyond that due to my laptop powering down when I try it for long. YES, I also have an ATI Radeon. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870. Yes, I have the latest driver.

When I run game on DX10-11 it has always crashed since I blew out my heatsink (I believe). I used to be able to run high-end graphics games on it before that, but I've been able to play Civ V just fine on DX9 before the update happened. Since then, single-player and multi-player have been crashing in one of two ways. One: bermuda-triangle effect of flashing lines and graphics glitches leading to a non-responsive Civ. Two: the exact same error described here, where I go to fire on a barbarian with my city ranged attack and it freezes after the red arching arrow is displayed going to the barbarian. I may be able to play DX 10-11 for a few minutes but not beyond that due to my laptop powering down when I try it for long. YES, I also have an ATI Radeon. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870. Yes, I have the latest driver.

I'm in the same boat as you.

Oh ok my bad. This then?
Spoiler :

Yes, that one :yup:.
On the right, you can see that your driver is from 2009. -> Update it.
If that doesn't change anything (don't think so, as you can see in this thread), then please test if oyu can now run the Dx11 mode (might be possible, due to the latest optimizations).

Spoiler :

Here's my DxDiag if it helps.

Your driver is newer, but I'd in general suggest the same as above (until the underlying problem is fixed).

I may be able to play DX 10-11 for a few minutes but not beyond that due to my laptop powering down when I try it for long. YES, I also have an ATI Radeon. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870. Yes, I have the latest driver.

With or without power supply?

So I updated my graphics drivers and that seemed to do the trick. I can play the game on DX11 now, and it doesn't crash anymore. Thanks for the help, man.

So I've temporarily gotten around the problem of freezing in Dx9 by playing in windowed mode.
EDIT: Nevermind. It still freezes up sometimes.

We are working on a solution. Windowed mode cuts down on the issue, but it can still happen. It's a combination of DX9 and certain ATI hardware.

I have also this crashing during range-attack ( City shoots at ship in my case).
My OS is Windows 8.
I use the DX 10 and 11 mode but it also chrashes at DX 9 mode.
In windows mode, the screen goes flashing very havey on and off. Very bad for your eyes to watch at it.
The strange thing is that it does NOT crash when I put Steam on compatibillity mode of Windows 7.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    60.7 KB · Views: 84
  • civilizationv_dx11_341540_crash_2012_11_4T16_5_28C0.zip
    20.7 KB · Views: 74
Not sure if this has been posted about before, as I am new to this forum and can't find a search function :(

Game runs perfectly fine otherwise.

Drivers are up to date, hardware is a good bit better that what the game requires, am I missing something?

Dxdiag attached

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    41.1 KB · Views: 78
Top Bottom