Team Succession Game?

classical_hero

In whom I trust
I am wondering if anyone else wants to play a game just like the SG games we have in the other forums but just for members of our team. I am proposing this since not everyone here is a good player, myself included and thus I am thinking of doing this for a learning exercise. I would like about 5 people and those who are good be the instructors and help us to become better at the game. How does this idea sound like?

Players interested in a GOTM style game. Bowsling is willing to make a map and a quest.
1 classical_hero
2 Talonschild

I would be more inclined to make "Team GOTM" where we have 1 starting save and few "mentors" amongst the stronger players in the team take the duty to play it - like 20 turns mark a week or 10 turns a day/couple of days and explain what they are doing with pictures/savegame files and so on and why they are doing it. Not only we can make this somewhat competitive thus people will be intrigued and stick in playing it, but we all can see different approaches to the game and how well they work in practice.

We can have separate threats for all the mentors where only learners/lurkers can visit all the threads and follow.

I can easily see me and vranasm for now taking the challenge. Will ask CavScout, slaze, bcool and Jkukic to play it too - those are the ones which come to my mind as decent high-level/seasoned MP players. Anyone else feeling he have what to show as civ skills is welcome to take the challenge too. Me myself will be interested to look and compare games/tactics/strategics at given points of the game too. Say each 50 turns we see other's games and comment. M, what you guys say?

Just now I checked the team roster and I saw I forgot to include our captain Sommerswerd in the list of the seasoned MPers who can act as mentors. I am just not sure if he will have the time to spare.

guys I hope you know there is Strategy and tips subforum and everyone who wants to get better can go there and get good advice from more players?

post shadow game and I assure you you will get more feedback then you want.

Just now I checked the team roster and I saw I forgot to include our captain Sommerswerd in the list of the seasoned MPers who can act as mentors. I am just not sure if he will have the time to spare.
But GOTM is not the same as MP as I understand it, right? It is more like SP where everyone plays his own game but all get the same starting location. Is this correct?

And yea I am swamped with civ ATM, participating in 4 games (5 counting this one and 6 counting the other one that I am hosting, 7 counting Team Gilette over at Realms Beyond) that I dont even give the proper attention as it is (except for DoB :D).

Yes, it is SP, but still, general principles of Civ at least when it comes to development apply.

I'd play whatever but time is limited. If we do it GOTM style we can all play Mansa of India and play at our own pace. Those with more time can get into later ages and maybe give us some ideas of how to maximise our leader/civ combo (I never play unrestricted leaders myself). If we do pitboss 9 players would be good. We could set it up with same leader/civ combos as the ISDG and get some goodn insight into enemy thinking.

GOTM style sounds interesting. But I need more than a month for completing probably...

Well It is in the style not going to be a rush, so it will be at your leisure. The reason why we are saying it is GOTM because we will be using a similar format to that. If you are interested please PM me your interest and hopefully we can get this started soon.

Well if you're wanting to do a learning exercise I'd recommend a succession game over a GOTM thing. If you do a GOTM you have people just playing like they always play and have to hope others put a detailed report out. Even then, it's better to actually play with a different playstyle rather than read about it. A succession game allows you to do this, as everyone discusses what to do every ten turns and you see the results in action.

A real SGOTM is first just too time consuming (all those discussions, tests, sadnboxes etc) and is in fact what we are doing in the ISDG anyway - many people propose ideas and after discussion we choose one idea to follow until the next junction. My idea for a GOTM style is that every player plays the same map and uses the strategy/tactics he thinks are best and the followers can see how certain approaches work and what results they give, so they can decide for themselves if this suits them and if this works at all.

2metra, I think your idea to play something similar to the current game was very good one. Perhaps we can take the part of the map we now, our civ and all condition as in this game, and everybody will try to play it, not necessarily coping game development so far? We can compare notes e.g every 10 turns for educational aspect, less focusing on who will win, but more on how to play? It could also double up as a sandbox - in a loose sense, but still we could get some insight useable in the current game

I could be interrested in something like that. I am currently on monarch/emperor-level and feel I am pretty much the worst player amongst us, so I guess I could learn more :)

Top Bottom