This game changed my life

Lpmc723

Chieftain
This game has change my life for the better. Here is my story.
I was in the store one day and saw this game on the shelf. 50 bucks being the price I was a little unsettled to say the least. I decided against it and went home. But the game never left my mind so I looked online at some videos and read some
Reviews all of which made this game look amazing. So after a few days of debate I figured this game was more then worth the price attached to it. So I went back to
The store and picked this up. Now let me explain how this changed my life.

After a few weeks of playing this game I got so fascinated with ancient and past civilizations that I began to read up on them and I studied alot of world history and read as much as I could because I became so curious and fascinated with things.

All this lead to me think about my life and what I was doing I was 29 years old with a job that paid next to nothing and I couldn't make ends meet on some months. So I decided that if I am
Studying all this on my own for no reason why not do it for real. So I enrolled in college to make something of my life. I am now a few short months away from having my associates degree in business and after which I have a great decent paying job lined up that will set me up to continue for my bachelors degree. And I assure you all this is because this game sparked an interest in me to study history and got me thinking.

I love this game so much because for some reason it had this effect on me to make my life better and also this is a really great game and anyone will have endless hours of fun playing it.

Well thank you for those who read my story I felt I wanted to
Share this.

Please excuse grammar or some words I am typing this from my phone and its hard to go back and check words and grammar thank you.

inspiring story!! :) next time wait for sale. Also check out the Paradox Interactive grand strategy games. Those games are very detailed historically.

The game increased my interest in early human cultures a lot. It's way too much to learn for my tastes, but it's interesting to study a bit on it.

The game increased my interest in early human cultures a lot. It's way too much to learn for my tastes, but it's interesting to study a bit on it.

Yep, Civ-4 did that for me and so you could say that getting interested in history is "a life change". Civ-5 only became this way after G&K when it truly got a soul.

I do actually appreciate the basic history included in the civopaedia. When I really want to take the game in, I make the effort to read the stuff on city states, buildings, civs, social policies etc. It might be simplified, but it's still good to make you think.

The quotes that come with the technologies, most of them are actually really deep and meaningful. That applies to both Civ4 and Civ5.

Cheers

It changed my life too!

I used to be a productive member of society.

Actually, I was never a productive member of society.

Yes, I too started studying history after playing this game. Read books, watched documentaries and presentations etc. It did not changed my job though :).

Nice to read your story and feels good that it helped you so.

when I was much younger Civ III and Civ IV really got me into history, international relations, and politics. Partially because of that, I'm now about to graduate college with a major in history lol.

I always liked history even before I started civ I. Nowadays I am more interested in archeology. They are finding more and more archeological evidence all the time, rolling back timelines. Its fasinating stuff. Sometimes I have to suspend disbelief in civ now.

It had the opposite affect on me. It almost got me fired because I stayed up all night every night for days. This was Civ I.

I was always interested in history and Civ only catalysed that. However, Civ 5 had a highly therapeutical effect on me. I was severly depressed in early 2011 when I first picked up Civ 5. I was enchanted by its great, soothing music and catchy faction themes. Also, the ability to create an empire while enjoying good graphics and excellent music provided tons of relaxation I really needed at that time. The situation repeated itself between December 2011 and February 2012. Civ again proved itself to be a life saver for me.

So amazing! I too was inspired to learn more about history after playing PANZER GENERAL II (the game that inspired the hex-based fighting in CIV V) 15 years ago. There are several other games which peaked my interest, most notably AGE OF EMPIRES/KINGS and of course CIV. Thanks for the posting. It made me smile. :hatsoff:

So amazing! I too was inspired to learn more about history after playing PANZER GENERAL II (the game that inspired the hex-based fighting in CIV V) 15 years ago. There are several other games which peaked my interest, most notably AGE OF EMPIRES/KINGS and of course CIV. Thanks for the posting. It made me smile. :hatsoff:

I've always been interested in history, but similarly to you, the game that piqued my interest to the point of going out and buying books to learn more about it, was IL-2 Sturmovik, the flight sim. I'd always played military games of various sorts that were mostly western-centric, with the USA, Britain, etc. That game made me want to go out and learn more about the (largely mysterious and unknown to most in the west) great battles of the Eastern Front, in WW2. The scale of that Eastern Front conflict made the battles and casualty counts of the other allied nations look like minor skirmishes, by comparison.

I've always been interested in history, but similarly to you, the game that piqued my interest to the point of going out and buying books to learn more about it, was IL-2 Sturmovik, the flight sim. I'd always played military games of various sorts that were mostly western-centric, with the USA, Britain, etc. That game made me want to go out and learn more about the (largely mysterious and unknown to most in the west) great battles of the Eastern Front, in WW2. The scale of that Eastern Front conflict made the battles and casualty counts of the other allied nations look like minor skirmishes, by comparison.

My first, properly owned PC game ever. Too bad I kept crashing the planes and got bored after switching to gunner seat.:(

My first, properly owned PC game ever. Too bad I kept crashing the planes and got bored after switching to gunner seat.:(

Definitely had a learning curve. I got my ass kicked when I started out flying the IL-2, but when I switched to fighter campaigns, I got the hang of it better. Easier being the hawks than the pigeons, in an air combat sim. Spent many an hour in the bombers later on though, once the flying and combat got more familiar.

Thanks for all the replies. I am happy to see that I am not the only one who got interested in reading history after playing this game.

:)

Really inspiring story!

I'm facing a "similar" situation. I always liked History and it was one of my favourite subjects at school, but when I found out about CiV... it became a fascination. I got Civ II when I was a kid on a magazine called "Fullgames", as a gift from my parents. Even though I didn't understand it at all, I loved playing it with my sister. Around 8-9 years later, I remembered that I used to like that game and googled if Civilization 3 had been released. Imagine my face when I found out about Civ 5... I spent so many hours playing this game that I was every day more interested in history. It became my favourite subject, I studied it for school with a smile on my face and was delighted to learn about ancient civilizations.

Now, I have to decide what will I study for college. Problem is, here in my country, teaching is very underrated. Our professors don't earn the amount they deserve. I don't know if I'll do History, which I love and am fascinated, or if I'll do Engineering, which would grant me a good paycheck. I also like Maths and Physics, but not as nearly as much as History. This game really catalyzed my interest into something great. Even though I think I'll stick to Engineering, I will study History before I die, for sure. It makes me think about how big the world is and about how battles and leader's decisions made the world as it is today. I keep reading about it and searching for more content that I think the only way I can be satisfied is by intensively studying it in college and by traveling around the world. I have a special interest in Russia, Carthage and Byzantium, btw. Sorry about the long post, but I just wanted to share my little story :)

Top Bottom