Poor, poor rapists... WTF!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheetah

Deity

Link to video.

What the hell happened there? Did the editor fall asleep and the journalists forget their morals at home??

This isn't a news story of two innocent boys who will be locked away because someone just wants to be mean to them! It's two rapists who are being punished - and a lenient punishment at that! - for raping a girl. In public! And documenting it!

Sure, they're probably very nice officially, and apparently football players for whatever that's worth, and yes, the girl did something stupid by getting completely wasted, but they're rapists!

They should be punished. Severely. And the journalists at CNN are not supposed to try and make anyone feel bad for them!

Of course, sex offenders should be hanged, drawn and quartered!

I read the title as "Poor, poor papists."

I was quite confused, for a minute or two there.

Yeah. Rape. Down with it! It should be illegal.

Just wait to be asked for your services, and you won't go far wrong, imo.

Too bad for them that they are not in the military - they could get the Convening Authority to wipe the slate clean.

the girl did something stupid by getting completely wasted, but they're rapists!

No....no she didn't....getting drunk at a party which I do all the time (I have the good fortune of having a penis however) isn't an invitation to rape.

Yeah, that whole incident is pretty disgusting.

Oh nos, god forbid you have any sympathy for kids.

...and yes, the girl did something stupid by getting completely wasted...

Nope. She had every right to expect that she wouldn't be sexually assaulted.

They should be punished. Severely. And the journalists at CNN are not supposed to try and make anyone feel bad for them!

But at the same time, while these guys definitely did something incredibly stupid and incredibly offensive and deserve to be punished for it, that shouldn't preclude us from feeling bad for these kids. At the end of the day, empathy is never a bad thing.

I'd also hesitate to call this just journalists being all sappy. This looks to be local news coverage, so there's probably been lots of coverage already about what the victim has been through. This could be just one segment that focused on the consequences for the perpetrators. Of course, I could easily be wrong, and this very well could be a football town rallying around the wrong kids entirely.

While I enjoy a good dig at the Catholic church as the next gent, I actually thought Pope Francis had died or resigned.

In real life people generally don't die for dramatic purposes (unlike Game of Thrones). Sadly.

No....no she didn't....getting drunk at a party which I do all the time (I have the good fortune of having a penis however) isn't an invitation to rape.
Of course it isn't an "invitation" to rape. Nobody's saying that.

What I am saying is that it is stupid to get so drunk that one passes out or can't handle oneself. At the very least one risks that someone will make you do something stupid or draw something funny on the face or food or objects on the person - and post pictures of it on the net. At the worst one risks getting hurt, robbed, beaten up, raped or even killed.

As a crazy, but real, example: A guy in Norway passed out at a party, and other people there thought it was a good idea to pour drain cleaner into his pants. They got jail sentences if I remember correctly, but the poor guy practically lost his junk...

A few years ago another guy fell asleep at a house party, and ended up getting raped by a woman and a man (not sure if it was hetero-, homo- or both, or if one of them just helped). In any case, having a penis doesn't mean one can't get raped or penetrated.

Getting drunk and passing out or otherwise being unable to handle yourself, IS stupid, and while being a man reduces your chances of getting drunk raped (is that the term?), it's in no way a safe practice for either men nor women.

The fact that these two guys did something criminal and morally reprehensible, doesn't change the fact that the girl did something stupid.

Nope. She had every right to expect that she wouldn't be sexually assaulted.
Right to expect...? Sure, she has every right in the world to expect anything she can think of, but such a right really doesn't make any sense, does it?

Statistically speaking, she, and everyone else for that matter, should expect the likelihood that something bad would happen to them to increase if they get too drunk, or even passes out. That includes the likelihood of sexual assault.

It's is stupid to get too drunk, cause it increases the chance that bad things might happen to you. You can't seriously be arguing against that, can you?

Same difference :mischief:
:crazyeye:

What sympathy should we have for someone who thinks it's okay to have sex with a girl while she is passed out, in public, and taking pictures of it? And why?

At the end of the day, empathy is never a bad thing.
Yes, you're right of course. But I find precious little reason to feel empathy for these two. Yes, the punishment they'll receive for this crime is going to leave an impact on their lives - and the trial has already made an impact - but that's the whole point of the punishment!

There doesn't seem to be any reason to say that they didn't know what they were doing, or that they didn't know it was wrong, or that they thought she liked it. There's no reason to think these two are mentally ******ed, nor did anyone force them to do this. It's not like they stopped during the crime and tried to mend things. They didn't even try to make it better after the fact. Only now, with the trial and the sentence, do they seem to regret.

Sure, the outcome sucks for them, but I can't say they don't deserve it. And more really, but I wasn't the judge.

Kids....who raped a girl....while she was unconscious....and posted pictures and video of it on facebook.....and have now been convicted.

I remember this one time in my criminal justice class, we were reading about this kid that shot up a bus for some gang thing/reason, who is now in jail for life. And one of my first thoughts were why did this kid throw his life away.

Some kids got drunk (what is a pretty bad thing to start with) and some pretty bad things happen. It's a tragedy. I really never understood why some people seem to be happy when people get sent to jail. And we are talking about kids here.

Of course it isn't an "invitation" to rape. Nobody's saying that.

What I am saying is that it is stupid to get so drunk that one passes out or can't handle oneself. At the very least one risks that someone will make you do something stupid or draw something funny on the face or food or objects on the person - and post pictures of it on the net. At the worst one risks getting hurt, robbed, beaten up, raped or even killed.

When you point out an action is ill-advised, you are, intentionally or not, shifting some of the blame to the victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom