Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION II > Civ2 - Technical Support

Notices

Civ2 - Technical Support This forum is for technical questions, such as compatibilities, game installation, sound, or video problems.

Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:08 PM   #1
verbrijzel
Chieftain

Unhappy civ 2 and windows 8?

I apologize if this has already been asked, but I'm having trouble getting civ2 (I believe the gold edition) to work on my windows 8 computer. I had it working on my old computer, which was windows 7, but unfortunately that computer is no longer working.

I currently have it downloaded, as well as the 64 bit patch (I think..) and I'm now getting a no cd error; and can't seem to get a no-cd patch to work.

I'm sort of computer illiterate, so I'm not entirely sure what exists in the way of patches or cracks that will get the game to work. I'm sort of going through world domination withdrawal, so, halp?

Last edited by verbrijzel; Mar 21, 2013 at 03:11 PM.
verbrijzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Grandpa Troll
Ronin

I have tried CIV II MP Gold and CIV II TOT both failed to launch after being able to go all the way through setup screens (type of game/landmass/age/civ choice,ect) the game did a CTD (Crash to desktop) stating incompatible with WIN 8.

Just checking in to see if anyone has any follow ups?

Thanks

Gramps
Member of all three major civilization sites. because of our community, I feel I have three homes. I allways use CFC for most of the information i seek and have found the Staff and membership very accomodating, plus i know many here and they are very nice people, even to an old broken down Gramps!
Grandpa Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:41 AM   #3
verbrijzel
Chieftain

i still haven't been able to get it to work
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Magic_gorter
Deity

Did anyone tried virtual windows?
Magic_gorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:12 PM   #5
verbrijzel
Chieftain

I don't really know howto go about that, or what ones are compatible with windows 8.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:47 PM   #6
huffers
Chieftain

I managed to get it working the other day using Oracle Virtual Box and running a version of Windows XP within it. So far its worked great.
huffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2014, 10:37 AM   #7
Celebrine

I just got Civ 2 MGE with No CD working on my new Win 8 Machine.

Here's what I did ->
First I put in the CD and installed the game.

Then I updated to 1.3 (considering the next step, this may have been unnecessary?)

Then I copied the No CD.exe from my Win 7 machine (via thumb drive) and simply dropped it into my Win 8 Civ 2 folder. I did have to add .exe to the filename.

I also downloaded Mastermind's 64 bit patch. I opened Civ 2 and immediately ran the x64 patch.
The x64 patch is giving me an error ->
ERROR : File Civ2 Exename does not exists
ERROR : Operation aborted
<- But is still working. I currently have Civ 2 up and running on my new Win 8 machine.

I'm now making several backups of all my Civ 2 files in case this is what I'll have to in future versions of Windows.
Celebrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2014, 07:55 AM   #8
verbrijzel
Chieftain

well, figured it out (a while ago, i might add, but i figured i'd update lol)

apparently windows 8 has this cool thing called "compatibility mode" for running programs that aren't meant for windows 8, on windows 8 - i downloaded a patched version (nocd+64 bit) and then set the default compatibility settings so it would open. (right click on the application icon in the folder, troubleshoot compatibility, and viola!).