The new XCOM units have more potential.

soldier2975

Chieftain
When i saw an article on the internet about XCOM units in civilization i thought it was a hoax, turns out it's real. I know they only added them as a reference to their other game but they could do so much more with them with the new, World Congress. If you have played XCOM you would know that all the countries in the game are part of the UN i heard that later in the game the World Congress changes to the UN and maybe the leader of the UN could gift an XCOM unit to whatever civ he feels needs one but they can only be given once the World Congress becomes the United Nations in late game.

Honestly, it's one of my favorite new additions to the game. Giant Robot + X-Com units = Sci-fi Army.

Honestly, it's one of my favorite new additions to the game. Giant Robot + X-Com units = Sci-fi Army.

Yeah, I don't understand all the sourpuss attitude people have about the x-com troops. To me, having only played xcom 1 and 2 back in the 90's they just take the place as "generic sci-if" infantry. Same thing as in the book Starship Troopers or what have you. The classic jump trooper. The only thing that is a reference to me is their name, which is really fair enough. Just use your imagination (or a mod) to change the name if it's really a challenge for you.

I can't see how people would complain about X-Com units when we already have a unit called a 'Giant Death Robot.' I could not believe my eyes when I first started playing Civ 5 and saw that (Civ V was the first Civ game I played - I won't pretend otherwise). GDR sounds silly and its entry in Civopedia clearly shows it isn't meant to be taken very seriously. X-Com is nowhere near as ridiculous and the graphics look great, so what is there to whine about? It's just a nod to their other game.

To be honest it is very very seldom I don't have the game wrapped up by the time the Robots show up, so in practice I barely see them. I expect the same with the X-Com.

To get back to the topic, I like your idea but it needs the right implementation. Not saying this is the only way, but I made a recent topic about UN "peacekeepers" and possible mid-game crusades launched through the diplomacy mechanics. I could just as easily see there being a very late game inclusion of this super unit as part of peacekeeping armies, dispatched to work against runaway civs. Since there is already a new freedom policy that gives free foreign legions I think there's a way for something to get implemented. It makes sense that the freedom civs and those playing nice in the UN would get a bonus of this sort (in theory).

When i saw an article on the internet about XCOM units in civilization i thought it was a hoax, turns out it's real.

As far as I can tell it still hasn't "turned out" that it's real. What's known is that it was shown at the PAX demonstration as a showpiece, but nobody reporting it as real appears to know any more than that. So it still remains entirely possible (and quite likely) that it's a hoax. Outside the specific two gameplay scenes shown at PAX, nobody appears to have had any sightings of XCOM units in the game (in contrast to known elements like trade caravans and specific civs, which have shown up in several permutations).

X-Com is nowhere near as ridiculous and the graphics look great, so what is there to whine about? It's just a nod to their other game.

This is precisely the issue. That other game takes place in a specific fictional universe, which ties Civ to that universe by implication if XCOM units are included. It's a core appeal of Civ that it allows the player the illusion of creating their own universes, without any intrusion from other brands. This makes a difference - it's why Civ IV's corporations had made-up names, and we get a Giant Death Robot instead of Mecha-Godzilla in Civ V. Also, the fact that the Giant Death Robot is a comedy unit 'softens the blow' to purists of including it at all.

When BNW comes out, I might just mod XCOM unit's name to "Nanotrooper" or something like that, just so it's not so blatant. I'm fine with future units, but I'd rather they had more generic names.

As far as I can tell it still hasn't "turned out" that it's real. What's known is that it was shown at the PAX demonstration as a showpiece, but nobody reporting it as real appears to know any more than that. So it still remains entirely possible (and quite likely) that it's a hoax. Outside the specific two gameplay scenes shown at PAX, nobody appears to have had any sightings of XCOM units in the game (in contrast to known elements like trade caravans and specific civs, which have shown up in several permutations).

I believe one of the later interview with the developers pretty much confirmed they were in the game.

When BNW comes out, I might just mod XCOM unit's name to "Nanotrooper" or something like that, just so it's not so blatant. I'm fine with future units, but I'd rather they had more generic names.

Personally, I'm planning to adapt the unit models and art to "Cyborg Soldiers" for my near-future mod, but I could easily see people using "Future Trooper" or "Future Soldier" as a more generic name for it (considering the number of Future Soldier programs that have come out in the past 20 years or so, including the Future Force Warrior program in the US).

Alternatively, gifting/trading any unit types to other civs, much alike to gifting to CS, should be a possibility. If a close friend is at war with a stronger foe, yet you do not wish to get directly involved, selling units to your friend could be a way out of declaring war. But, of course, there should also be a method to stop this from happening via World Congress. I was about to suggest that X-com units become exempt from a World Congress/UN ban, but then again, the French are losing their Foreign Legion units. Perhaps we'll see Foreign Legion's as UN units, which aid other civs in battle?

As for the X-com debate, people complain about it being "blatantly" named after another game, yet back in Civ II, part of the soundtrack was named "X-Com/They're Here". I could go into a mass debate about in-game advertising, but the crux of it is, Civilization has very little in-game advertising compared to other games. Other games may offer more subtle approaches to advertising, but as soon as you notice something like that, it's never subtle again. In this case, a song in Civ II and a unit in Civ V have mention of another game. Be happy there's nothing more!

I can't see how people would complain about X-Com units when we already have a unit called a 'Giant Death Robot.' I could not believe my eyes when I first started playing Civ 5 and saw that (Civ V was the first Civ game I played - I won't pretend otherwise). GDR sounds silly and its entry in Civopedia clearly shows it isn't meant to be taken very seriously. X-Com is nowhere near as ridiculous and the graphics look great, so what is there to whine about? It's just a nod to their other game.

But I complained even when they announced the GDR! Am I allowed to complain now? :sad:

Alternatively, gifting/trading any unit types to other civs, much alike to gifting to CS, should be a possibility. If a close friend is at war with a stronger foe, yet you do not wish to get directly involved, selling units to your friend could be a way out of declaring war. But, of course, there should also be a method to stop this from happening via World Congress. I was about to suggest that X-com units become exempt from a World Congress/UN ban, but then again, the French are losing their Foreign Legion units. Perhaps we'll see Foreign Legion's as UN units, which aid other civs in battle?

As has been pointed out on another thread, gifting units to another civ is already possible.

As has been pointed out on another thread, gifting units to another civ is already possible.

My point was to make it a trade screen set-up, so that we can get something in return for our units also. By the looks of things, the World Congress will have the power to stop most things in the trade window, so stopping unit trades could be easily added. If you were the head of the UN, it would make distributing Foreign Legions much easier also {speculation}. I'd rather not have to navigate them all to "Civ-X's" territory, and paying for open borders, before being able to gift.

Isn't the x-com's abillity something like dropping 40 hexes away from your territory?

Top Bottom