Poll: Best new Unit April 2013

Which is the best new Unit for April 2013?

• Tony Boscia - Israeli Air Force AH-1S Tzefa Attack Helicopter

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Balam-Agab - Nuku Hiva Spearman

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • tom2050 - Arachne

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Balthasar

Wise Man
Hi gang. Spring is sprung, the birds are singing, the flowers blooming, and - whoops! Is that snow on my porch? *sigh* Welcome to Spring in the post-climate change world. So, with the fireplace blazing, and a hot nog in my hand, here are this month's nominees for best new Unit of April 2013:

Balam-Agab
Nuku Hiva Spearman

tom2050
Arachne

Tony Boscia
Israeli Air Force AH-1S Tzefa Attack Helicopter

A great selection this month! Good luck to all!

Over in the pcx contest, we're happy to announce that this month's winner is Wujah, who submitted his fantastically surreal Lego Dream Terrain:

Congratulations, Wujah! Your terrain will be entered into the Competitions Hall of Fame, and will compete in the PCX of the Year contest, where your work will be hard to beat!

If you'd like your creation to compete in the unit, pcx, or leaderhead of the month/of the year contests, submit it to the Monthly Competitions Thread IV. It's a great way to share your work with the wider community, and for us to see your work!

:cool: I agree for
Tony Boscia - Israeli Air Force AH-1S Tzefa Attack Helicopter

:) all units are Excellent! ;)

Wotan49
:old:

Tom's monster is amazing, but Tony's helicopter really surprised me by its very high quality animation. We have a very pleasant contest this month :)

Let's see these closer..

Balam-Agab, how the hell did you get 1 000 downloads in so little time! :eek: Congratulations, that's a great success! The unit is very well done

Tom's Arachne is beautiful. Very nice texture, amazing animations, very crisp. It's not the sounds I would have imagined for a Spider but they're perfectly fine.

Tony Boscia's Helicopter is absolutely smashing! I love the textures, the animations and the FX (especially that small cloud in attacka). The sounds are fitting. Too bad the default is static. Is there a reason for that ? A very small flaw is that outgoing objects (copter's blade, crashing smoke) could be gradually made transparent as they're leaving the frame. Anyway, it's a brilliant first unit!

That's a very close call. I had to take several minutes thinking and comparing before finally voting for Tom's Arachne.

Good job and good luck to everybody!

Balam-Agab, how the hell did you get 1 000 downloads in so little time! :eek: Congratulations, that's a great success! The unit is very well done.
A true wip thread involving discussion & evolving previews probably helps.

Congratulations, Tony, on a well deserved win! Your unit will now go into the Competitions Hall of Fame, and be entered into the Unit of the Year contest.

On a personal level, although I have yet to see anything that you've done that is unimpressive, this first Unit just impresses the hell out of me. This is why I always eagerly look forward to your next project, and the next after that. Well done, Tony!

Thank you guys very much. It was fun to participate and congrats to Tom and Balam-Agab on their excellent units. Also, congratulations to Wujah on your very creative terrain which is a great fit for the playground mod!

Too bad the default is static. Is there a reason for that ? A very small flaw is that outgoing objects (copter's blade, crashing smoke) could be gradually made transparent as they're leaving the frame.

The Victory flc is actually the original default. The static default is designed to keep the game from slowing, especially in the modern era when lots of units with animated defaults make the game choppy sometimes on my computer. On other units I'm making, I've started the habit of having a normal Default and a 1-frame DefaultB. Also, trying to keep smoke and effects in frame so they don't get cut at the edges.

Congratulations Tony!

The Victory flc is actually the original default. The static default is designed to keep the game from slowing, especially in the modern era when lots of units with animated defaults make the game choppy sometimes on my computer. On other units I'm making, I've started the habit of having a normal Default and a 1-frame DefaultB. Also, trying to keep smoke and effects in frame so they don't get cut at the edges.

It's perfectly reasonable. Perhaps you could make an alternate animated default ?

Top Bottom