Touhou Project Civ (Tengu Republic)

Apolodog

Chieftain
Hello everyone.
I thought I'll post the second mod I made based on Touhou Project :D.
Comparing it to my first one (in the steam workshop) I added more detail to this mod, including custom dialogue (If I only knew how to disable the generic dialogue so it doesn't conflict with mine).
Enough about that, let's get to what the mod offers ;):

- Adds the Tengu Republic as a new civilization led by Aya Shameimaru.
- Adds the unique unit "Crow Tengu", a replacement for the scout that moves even more spaces.
- Adds the "Newspaper Delivery" great person as a prophet. It has less uses than a great prophet but more religious power.

Special thanks: Everyone that helped me in my first mod :D

IMPORTANT NOTES:
- This mod has custom leader music, but it isn't just download and play, read the instructions in the music folder
- The "Newspaper Delivery" was supposed to replace the great prophet, but it didn't work, instead the unit counts as an extra faith unit along with the great prophet, the missionary and the inquisitor.
- About the ambiance music, the Tengu Republic is supposed to work with a Touhou music folder I created, so it's linked to that, if you want the usual ambiance soundtrack you'll have to go to the civilization.xml folder and change the soundtrack tag from "Tengu" to any civ you want music from.
- Because of file upload limits there is 2 files you have to download: one of them has the mod itself, the other one has one of the custom leader tracks ( x war). Open the one with the track and place it one the music folder.
- Needs G&K to work.

That's all there is, so please comment if you have questions, bug reports or suggestions for me, I appreciate feedback :).

Thanks

Attachments

• Touhou_Aya Shameimaru (v 1).7z
    7.6 MB · Views: 588
  • Touhou_Aya Shameimaru (v 1) - war.7z
    7.4 MB · Views: 394
I've never played Touhou but I feel like I have to D/L because of the idea of a "Tengu republic"... *remembers what a tengu is* *confirms choice to DL*

I've never played Touhou but I feel like I have to D/L because of the idea of a "Tengu republic"... *remembers what a tengu is* *confirms choice to DL*

I'm not sure what your idea of a Tengu is, but if you haven't played touhou it's probably not what you're thinking.

The Crow Tengu UU replaces the Scout, making it impossible to build normal Scouts, but it requires Printing Press... so you don't get Scouts until Printing Press.

Also, what is up with the color scheme? It looks like Barbarians, and isn't really "Aya" at all. Shouldn't Aya's civ be either red on white (her outfit) or black on white (newsprint)?

The Crow Tengu UU replaces the Scout, making it impossible to build normal Scouts, but it requires Printing Press... so you don't get Scouts until Printing Press.

A downside I intentionally made because when you have the Crow Tengus at your disposition, you can explore the whole map before even needing the satellite. As the reason the required tech is printing press, figure it out yourself.

Also, what is up with the color scheme? It looks like Barbarians, and isn't really "Aya" at all. Shouldn't Aya's civ be either red on white (her outfit) or black on white (newsprint)?

OH ME MOTHER, I forgot about the color scheme :p. My civs normally start with an almost random color scheme (since at least I don't mind about the "not like themselves" thingy) and before I upload them I'm supposed to change them to at least make the city names more visible, but as you saw, I totally forgot about that. :blush:.

Anyway, I'm thankful for the feedback, the custom unit will stay like that until more people complain and about the color scheme, I'll probably not fix it for the forum, but I will definately fix it for the Steam Workshop version.

Thanks.

PS: Are you making that palace of earth spirits civ? If you are, I can't wait to add it to my mods :nuke:

Are you sure that's a good idea? Scouting early is important, I don't know if being able to see the whole map at Printing Press is worth no scouts early-game.

PS: Are you making that palace of earth spirits civ? If you are, I can't wait to add it to my mods :nuke:
I have a bit of dialogue left and some more messing around to see if I can figure out what makes fallout tiles un-workable and then un-do that, but it's almost done.

Attachments

• okuu_DOM.jpg
    okuu_DOM.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 720
  • okuu_cities.jpg
    okuu_cities.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 360
Eeeek! Well, dangit, there goes my plans for making a Tengu mod! X3

I had been planning to use Lord Tenma as a leader instead, and using a Ninja as a scout replacement UU with a Newspaper Office UB that replaced the library, generating culture and generating gold once you hit Printing Press. The UA would've been the increased sight promotion for units, as well as possibly other things.

Also, for color choices I was planning to use orange on green... not sure how well it would've looked, though.

Ah well... I suppose I've been letting myself really fall behind lately. :p Nice to see another Touhou civ finished!

I'll try and kick my butt into gear and get the Oni civ posted here by this weekend. At least playtesting it on the weekend revealed that I'd managed to screw up the UB quite a bit (I forgot to activate any of its abilities!), but I still want to clean up the Civilopedia entries and the icon a bit first.

EDIT: Are you using custom music, or replacing existing music the way Huitzil did? I've got custom music for Suika so far, but it uses the method of editing the existing G&K files... is there a way to add the required XML via a mod?

I'm also horrified that it took me two days to notice this had been posted here. X3 Dangit! I gotta check the forums more regularly...

EDIT 2: Another question... should we start up a Touhou civ discussion thread? With the Tengu Republic underway, I'm considering starting on the Moriya Shrine civilization next after the Oni... could use some help brainstorming for them, though.

Eeeek! Well, dangit, there goes my plans for making a Tengu mod! X3

I had been planning to use Lord Tenma as a leader instead, and using a Ninja as a scout replacement UU with a Newspaper Office UB that replaced the library, generating culture and generating gold once you hit Printing Press. The UA would've been the increased sight promotion for units, as well as possibly other things.

Also, for color choices I was planning to use orange on green... not sure how well it would've looked, though.

Ah well... I suppose I've been letting myself really fall behind lately. :p Nice to see another Touhou civ finished!

I'll try and kick my butt into gear and get the Oni civ posted here by this weekend. At least playtesting it on the weekend revealed that I'd managed to screw up the UB quite a bit (I forgot to activate any of its abilities!), but I still want to clean up the Civilopedia entries and the icon a bit first.

EDIT: Are you using custom music, or replacing existing music the way Huitzil did? I've got custom music for Suika so far, but it uses the method of editing the existing G&K files... is there a way to add the required XML via a mod?

I'm also horrified that it took me two days to notice this had been posted here. X3 Dangit! I gotta check the forums more regularly...

EDIT 2: Another question... should we start up a Touhou civ discussion thread? With the Tengu Republic underway, I'm considering starting on the Moriya Shrine civilization next after the Oni... could use some help brainstorming for them, though.

I was afraid this would happen, but I didn't think there would be a decent amount of Touhou modders in civilization :eek:. I'm sorry about your plans for a Tengu civ pal. Still, It's nice to see more Touhou fans in civilization 5, I think it would be usefull to make a Touhou civilization board, so we can give each other support (even if we are like, 3 people :lol:) and not have this kind of problem with someone posting the same civ as the other. About the custom music, are you talking about the leader soundtracks? I didn't replace any civilization so they need to be added to the game's XML files. If you want to know how to do it, download my mod and take a look at the music files, the instructions are there. I was thinking of creating a youkai mountain civilization led by Kanako or a Kappa civilization led by Nitori, we could get to an agreement about that. :D

I was afraid this would happen, but I didn't think there would be a decent amount of Touhou modders in civilization :eek:. I'm sorry about your plans for a Tengu civ pal. Still, It's nice to see more Touhou fans in civilization 5, I think it would be usefull to make a Touhou civilization board, so we can give each other support (even if we are like, 3 people :lol:) and not have this kind of problem with someone posting the same civ as the other. About the custom music, are you talking about the leader soundtracks? I didn't replace any civilization so they need to be added to the game's XML files. If you want to know how to do it, download my mod and take a look at the music files, the instructions are there. I was thinking of creating a youkai mountain civilization led by Kanako or a Kappa civilization led by Nitori, we could get to an agreement about that. :D

*laughs* No worries... it was still on the drawing board for me (and it's not like I still can't create it for myself, just to try out).

I'm not sure if a board is required yet, but we could start up a discussion thread like the one currently going on like PawelS' "Chronicles of Adea" thread.

I've been brainstorming some ideas for a Moriya Shrine civ (since there's something like three civ's sharing Youkai Mountain, it's hard to call it a "Youkai Mountain civ" X3), based around some religion concepts. At the very least, I might use it as an excuse to dabble in Lua to see if I can do something with giving Kanako a religious belief to start, or something. So I wouldn't mind tackling the Moriya Shrine next... it could be a fun challenge.

I'd considered a kappa civ, but wasn't sure if they were as extensive as something like the Tengu. Still, there is indications that the Moriya shrine is trading with them, so it might be worthwhile. (Optical camo as a unit promotion? :p) I imagine they'd be a tech/production civ...

There's also the possibility of Human Village and Eientei civs, although I think the latter would basically be focused on the space race victory, and it's hard to come up with good science-oriented UAs... The Human Village, on the other hand, I could see as a kind of mercantile civ (between Rinnosuke's shop and the Hakurei Shrine)...

I actually had an inkling of an idea for Eientei. They'd focus on Great People, seeing as they have that whole "immortality elixir" to keep their greatest minds and leaders around. So I was thinking, some flat bonus to Great Person generation (33%? 50%?) and +3 Food from Great Person tile improvements -- the Great Person never goes away, see, so they don't just provide their landmark or what have you, they aid growth.

Oh, and if the Tengu civ is in the game at all, everyone can build the Newspaper Delivery unit.

Oh, and if the Tengu civ is in the game at all, everyone can build the Newspaper Delivery unit.

I wondered if that was going to happen -- from what I've read in the forums here, religious UUs don't seem to work properly. It appears that because they are purchased units (as opposed to being built), the code doesn't check to see if they're restricted to any particular civilizations... :(

I see, I'll try not to add anything religious based unless I exactly know how and it's necessary :crazyeye:.
I'm not a forum person, so when I said board I was thinking on what it appears to be a discussion thread.
About the Crow Tengu, I believe it depends on your play-style, the real reason behind allowing it only after discovering printing press was because I wanted the Crow Tengu to be more powerful than a bunch of humans with clubs and swords, or archers with wooden arrows, since they are youkai (more powerful than humans) and can fly (which would make most swords useless) and can control wind (which it would affect arrow accuracy) and make them start getting weaker since the invention of firearms (Gunpowder Technology). Because of that, putting them at the start of the game like normal scout would make the civilization overpowered, being able to wipe out units with ease until gunpowder. Still, you make a good point, but I would need feedback from more people to see if it's really necessary to change it.

I wondered if that was going to happen -- from what I've read in the forums here, religious UUs don't seem to work properly. It appears that because they are purchased units (as opposed to being built), the code doesn't check to see if they're restricted to any particular civilizations... :(

If you find any way to work around that, please let me know!:)

Color scheme is fixed, chose the newsprint color, you can get it in the steam workshop :goodjob:.

I have a bit of dialogue left and some more messing around to see if I can figure out what makes fallout tiles un-workable and then un-do that, but it's almost done.

Seems you uploaded it to the workshop, nice :D, I'll go download it. One question that has been surfing on my brain: Why Utsuho and not Satori?:confused:

Okay, I played some as the Sakuya civ and as this civ, with the other in the game, and... they're pretty rough. The Newspaper Delivery UU doesn't work right, allowing every other civ in the game to build it and Great Prophets, and their names all display, like, "Bunbunmaru Herald (Newspaper Delivery) (Tengu Newspaper Delivery)" or something close to that.

Their ability is strictly better than Montezuma's, but Montezuma may have been underpowered, so I'll hold off on saying if it's balanced. I'm not that sure if it feels... Aya-ey. I DO know that making the leap from newspapers to faith doesn't make a whole lot of sense, especially as a Touhou civ, when there's probably going to be other Touhou leaders dealing with faith as actual faith, like Shikieki or Toyastomi or Kanako or Byakuren, so their Newspaper Delivery UU doesn't make sense. It also doesn't seem necessary, as I have never seen a Great Prophet fail to convert a city's religion with one spread attempt (even if it's a size-48 Rabanastre with 47 followers of my state religion), so a "stronger, less uses" Prophet just seems like a downgrade.

The dialogue and DOM screen have a LOT of typos and weird sentence construction. I feel like you're missing a lot of commas. The DOM screen speech also doesn't fit the pattern of the others, and it doesn't really tell the player about the civ they are going to play, and the way it's written like half a conversation is just... awkward. And why doesn't Aya have a semi-abstracted symbol like the other civs?

And with your city names, you obviously tried to go with naming the cities after tengu-relevant locations, but that doesn't really work. It's repetitive to have a good proportion of your cities named "Tengu Something", makes it harder to remember which is which when you get a pop-up message, and it just doesn't look right.

In my mods and in Graan's Scarlet Estate mod, cities are named on a theme: The Estate cities start with a couple of spell cards and Voile, then they're named after stars and red things, so there's the cities of "Carnelian" and "Aldeberan" instead of something like "Scarlet Ballroom" and "Scarlet Garden". The Fairy Alliance cities are each named by a Team 9 member or generic fairy. The Palace of Earth Spirits' cities are all named after atomic disaster sites or other radiation-related locations. You could have Aya name cities after famous journalists, or species of corvid, or something like that, and there'd be more variety and make it easier to come up with.

I don't wanna sound like I'm just busting your balls or anything, like I just care about pointing out flaws. I do think the mod is worth working on, but I think it does need work.

Seems you uploaded it to the workshop, nice :D, I'll go download it. One question that has been surfing on my brain: Why Utsuho and not Satori?:confused:

Well, I figured, Utsuho is the boss of Subterranean Animism, and is more popular than Satori. And an ability for Satori would be harder to reflect her personality and be hard to implement if it involved mind-reading. Satori is withdrawn and kind of sad, Okuu is boisterous and wants to blow up everything.

And let's face it, Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion is a way, WAY better war song than Satori Maiden ~3rd Eye. There's several, kinda tragic, references to Satori as Okuu's motivation in her dialogue.

And with your city names, you obviously tried to go with naming the cities after tengu-relevant locations, but that doesn't really work. It's repetitive to have a good proportion of your cities named "Tengu Something", makes it harder to remember which is which when you get a pop-up message, and it just doesn't look right.

In my mods and in Graan's Scarlet Estate mod, cities are named on a theme: The Estate cities start with a couple of spell cards and Voile, then they're named after stars and red things, so there's the cities of "Carnelian" and "Aldeberan" instead of something like "Scarlet Ballroom" and "Scarlet Garden". The Fairy Alliance cities are each named by a Team 9 member or generic fairy. The Palace of Earth Spirits' cities are all named after atomic disaster sites or other radiation-related locations. You could have Aya name cities after famous journalists, or species of corvid, or something like that, and there'd be more variety and make it easier to come up with.

City names have been a headache for me as well -- I haven't really been able to find many good names in mythology or even in Gensokyo, but I think I've gathered up enough to make do. For my own Tengu mod, I'd planned to use some of the locations on the Touhou wiki associated with the Tengu and Youkai Mountain (although maybe I can use those if I make a Moriya Shrine mod? Hmm...)

EDIT: I really need to post my mod here, so I can stop talking about it so vaguely...!

Top Bottom