Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - General Discussions

Old Jul 09, 2013, 08:31 PM   #1
Huntyadown
Chieftain

Kris Warrior Promotions... Wow!

I saw a lot of people unhappy about the negative promotions that kris warriors can get stuck with, so I thought I'd mention two AMAZING promotions that I have gotten in a game using them.

1- Forgot name. Enables unit to attack twice, adds +1 movement. Adds ability to move after attacking. INSANE promotion for an early game unit. 3 move 2 attack beast mode all through the barb camps gaining exp.

2- Forgot name. +30% defense when defending, Add +20 to healing. Absolutely brokenly powerful ability, especially on higher levels.

I was playing a game on deity and the Celts decided to come knocking down my newly placed 3rd city around turn 85. All I had was two Kris warriors, also I was going hardcore for melee bonuses so I had gone through Honor tree with Statue of Zues rush.

As soon as the celts showed up I plopped down a citadel with the great Gen you get from Honor, right in between them and my city and placed the defensive Kris warrior on top and set him to defend. I used my other one for picking off units that were low around the outsides, boom boom boom attacking and moving attacking and moving. 3 move 2 attack is amazing. 10 turns later almost every celt unit was defeated and they hadn't even attacked my city once. Both Kris warriors had survived without a scratch and were highly promoted. Insane power for deity.

Has anyone else seen some amazing promotions for them?
Huntyadown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2013, 10:04 PM   #2
Greizer85
Emperor

I don't have the game yet, but based on the info I've seen the negative promotions aren't really that big of a deal. One of them only affects the unit if it's outside your own borders, so you may simply relegate the unlucky sword dude to defensive duties while his lucky brethren go a-stomping abroad. The other negative promo sucks pretty bad alright, but it's one out of what, like 8 promos? So you won't really get it all that often. I do think negative promotions are a bad concept, but it's manageable in this case at least. And like you mentioned some of the positive ones are outright beastly. I might actually try out Indonesia if it wasn't for their lame Ua and situational UB.

Map also available on the Steam Workshop (thanks to Bob Morane for his help with the mod issues!)

UPDATE: ZipWorld now also available for Civ II!
Greizer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 01:02 AM   #3
kaspergm
Deity

Here's the list of promotions:

MYSTIC BLADE Promotion is replaced with a randomly chosen new promotion after the unit completes its first combat. (I believe this is the one represented with the "?" logo)
INVULNERABIILITY +30% Combat Bonus when defending. +20 Hit Points when healing
SNEAK ATTACK Flank attack bonus increased by 50%
HEROISM Unit awards combat bonus to nearby units as if it is a Great General
AMBITION +50% Combat Bonus when attacking. -20% penalty when defending
RESTLESSNESS May Attack Twice. 1 Extra Movement
RECRUITMENT Heals All Damage If Kills Non-Barbarian Unit
ENEMY BLADE Takes 20 Damage If Ends Turn in Enemy Territory
EVIL SPIRITS -10% penalty when attacking. -30% penalty when defending

Personally, I'm one of those who are against this "balanced on average" concept: The fact that some promotions are super powerful doesn't get balanced in a good way by the fact that some of the "promotions" are only negative - and vice versa.

When I first saw the promotion that provides +50% attack / -20 % defence, I thought that this was very clever, because the combination of a good and a bad thing in the same unit toned it in a specific direction. The all-bad and all-good promotions however make for some very bad cases of random rolls imo. - even if it is only 2 out of 8 promotions that are bad, in a normal game where you will perhaps build no more than a handful of Swordsmen, that's still enough of a probability for randomness to have a real effect on game.

But I guess one can see if the dual effects of the promotions are decoupled, so that one can combine them in different ways, for instance something like:

#1: -30% penalty when defending. +20 Hit Points when healing.
#2: +30% Combat Bonus when defending. -10% penalty when attacking.
#3: Takes 20 Damage If Ends Turn in Enemy Territory. 1 Extra Movement.

The extra attack promotion would be strong enough to stand alone on its own, and this way, each of above combos would give the units a unique flavor: #1 would be good on offence, will heal quickly, but will be vulnerable when doing it. #2 is the defensive equivalent of "Ambition". And #3 will have extra movement to make up for his vulnerability to end in enemy territory.
kaspergm is offline   Reply With Quote