Civ5 'Scrambled Continents' DLC available!

Camikaze

Administrator
Administrator
A new DLC pack is to be made available today for Civ5; 'Scrambled Continents'. Kate Distler of 2K Games has provided the following information about both the 'Scrambled Continents' and forthcoming 'Scrambled Nations' packs in a blog on the 2K Games website:

Good morning Civ fans!

Today 2K and Firaxis Games announced that two new map packs are coming to Sid Meier’s Civilization® V!

The Scrambled Continents map pack is available right now from participating digital retailers for $4.99.

The Scrambled Continents map pack gives fans a new way to play Civilization V where they will use a wide variety of real-world geographic locations as the backdrops for their games. While the familiar outline of the continent’s geography stays constant, the interior landscape changes each time you play, resulting in endless replayability and countless plausible scenarios. The maps included in Scrambled Continents are Africa, Eastern Asia, North and South America, Western Europe, the Middle East, a thawed Antarctica, new scripted maps for Small Continents, Oceania, and one map including all of Earth’s continents.

The upcoming Scrambled Nations map pack will be available from participating digital retailers on November 5, 2013, also for $4.99.

Inspired by the Scramble for Africa scenario that was part of the Civ V expansion, Sid Meier’s Civilization V: Brave New World, these map packs include authentic geographic outlines with randomized interiors, giving players even more ways to “one more turn” their way to world domination within Civilization V.

The DLC, the first for Civ5 in over two years, is now available on Steam, priced at $4.99 in the US and 4,49€ in Europe. The following description is given:
The Scrambled Continents map pack includes real geographic locations with special scripts that produce randomized interiors each time a new game begins. While the familiar outline of the continent’s geography stays constant, the inner heart of the world changes each time you play for endless replayability on countless plausible worlds. Maps include Africa, Eastern Asia, North and South America, Western Europe, the Middle East, a thawed Antarctica, new scripted maps for Small Continents and Oceania, plus one map including all of Earth’s continents.

And Dennis Shirk has the following to say about the pack:
I wont make the call on whether you'll like them or not (we hope you do), but we've done some pretty cool stuff with these.

South America, for example, retains it's true geographic shape, but the inside is randomized, and also includes scripting that generates a random north to south mountain range. South-east Asia retains it's outline, and it's defining mountain range, and randomizes everything else.

Some maps are hill heavy, some mountain heavy, some have persistent terrain (like excessive Tundra in the extreme north on North America, all keeping the character of the continent that they are based on. We've also including some brand new map scripts as well, and most of them come in multiple sizes for different play-styles.

The Earth map is an excellent replacement for the regular Earth map for those that want some random play. It comes with all sizes, retains the land-forms, and is completely random on the inside.

End sales pitch. I just wanted to share. :)

Thanks to forum members Falk and Ikaros33 for the news tips.

... seriously? People pay for this stuff? People play this stuff? "randomised" maps with a constant outline? Why not just go with the randomised map generator?

... seriously? People pay for this stuff? People play this stuff? "randomised" maps with a constant outline? Why not just go with the randomised map generator?

It's because when playing historical maps/scenarios, it's good to have the map shape authentic with a randomised interior - like what they did with the Scramble for Africa scenario.

Patch is free, Maps $5. Hrmmm.

In theory a scenario such as Scramble for Africa shoulda been the DLC and maps should come with the expansion. Easier to make a sales pitch for the 'cool new scenario that you can play in multiplayer' than fixed coastline random maps.

And 4 quid in the UK. Silly pricing. It'll be going for a quid in a few weeks. I'll consider it again then.

I really wanted to hate this, but then I remembered I actually like SfA's map. Still going to wait until it falls 75% though.

I thought they had given up on DLC. A bit pricey for what you get imo, there is another map pack scheduled as well presumably at a similar price. I might get them if they reduce the price just for the novelty value. Not really bothered if I don't though.

I really like the idea of a new earth map, since the old ones have never had their scripts updated (they never have any of the world wonders added in GnK or BnW).

I'm also curious about the "new scripting" for small continents. I've always liked that type of map, especially on huge and when it actually generates what it's supposed to (I've had some really weird ones).

I didn't expect to see any new civs released, but still...I'm very disappointed the new dlc is just map scripts.

Color me confused, I already have "Small Continents" so what is the significance of the map pack's Small Continents? Was the original Small Continents map script from Gods and Kings? Were there other NEW random map scripts included in Scrambled Continents?

I probably will get this-*eventually*-but I would rather have seen them release another Civ-or even several thematically linked Civs-as DLC.

Aussie.

Hmnn, obviously they're not done milking the cash cow yet. Color me unimpressed.

Extremely overpriced.

2k should focus on new civs - most people want them, not map packs.

But at least there is new content....

Top Bottom