PolyCast Episode 192: "Ahead of the Game"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Nothing new. The one-hundred-and-ninety-second episode of PolyCast, "Ahead of the Game", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua", Phil "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" with first-time guest co-host Jett "TPangolin". Carrying a runtime of 59m59s, the summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m58s | Senate
Taking in a guide on how to playing as and against Indonesia in Civilization V: Brave New World and how many Trading Post improvements to build in one's cities (13m07s).
- 20m27s | Forum Talk
The first of a two-part look at one user's dream of a "Balance Patch" for CivV by mid-year.
- 45m20s | News
From expectation to confirmation of Civilization V: Complete and also that what was codenamed 'Bison' is the free "Conquest of the New World Deluxe" scenario for new and existing players of the game.
- 49m18s | Open Mic
Revisiting the divisive nature of Vassal States in the Civilization series and the connection to the show.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Faux crises, parentheses placement and ambiguous reference.

Recording live before a listening audience every other Saturday, PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; listeners are encouraged to follow the show on Twitter, and check out the YouTube channel for caption capability. Sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, ModCast on Civ modding, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

I generally enjoy listening to the shows, even if I don't agree with everything, but this time there was something that really made me jump in my chair: Did someone just use the word "awesome" about the Kasbah? :eek: I mean, as unique improvements go, the Kasbah is at best decent when you have desert hills imo, and on desert flatlands, it is all but expired by the time it unlocks. I do agree that the +1 science with rationalism wouldn't be necessary, but the +1 gold on Economics is, imo., not at all unreasonable. And it just makes me so annoyed whenever people drag Petra into the discussion of Kasbah power. Petra is a wonder and is only going to be present in one city at best, and in most games, Petra seems to go very early meaning you won't even see it, because AI seems to love this wonder (at least they got the AI right on that one). And yes, Petra is extremely powerful bordering overpowered (again imo.), but that doesn't change the fact that Kasbah sucks pretty badly. So maybe the right approach would be to make the Kasbah actually viable and Petra a little less powerful instead of keeping the Kasbah as crap to balance out the fact that Petra is overpowered?

In reference to Kasbath, if you have Petra it's awesome.
Without Petra:
With desert faith, the flat desert would be decent.

It would kind of suck without neither of these.

I generally enjoy listening to the shows, even if I don't agree with everything,
Fair enough. :king:

but this time there was something that really made me jump in my chair: Did someone just use the word "awesome" about the Kasbah? :eek:
I believe that someone was MadDjinn, so I'll let him... field this. :D

Just started listening a couple weeks ago, have gone back and listened to many episodes now. I appreciate that you all do this for us, keep up the great work!

how come phil never posts videos of CIV V on his youtube channel, but still makes polycast every time?

how come phil never posts videos of CIV V on his youtube
channel, but still makes polycast every time?
Phil has not played CivV in some time. Maki, MadDjinn and myself are still trying to convince him!

Just started listening a couple weeks ago, have gone back and listened to many episodes now. I appreciate that you all do this for us, keep up the great work!
Welcome, new listener. Thank you for the kind words of support... glad you're enjoying the show. :king:

I really loved the guest co-host this week. He chimes in with the discussion with MadDjinn, fits with the cast personality wise, and is generally very entertaining to listen to. Try and get him to come back more if you can!

I really loved the guest co-host this week. He chimes in with the discussion with MadDjinn, fits with the cast personality wise, and is generally very entertaining to listen to. Try and get him to come back more if you can!

Haha, cheers mate. That's exactly what my ego needed.

I defended my honor already in the Civ5 news forum, in the thread polycast episode 192.

Considering that I was mentioned in this episode, DanQs musings have been answered in that thread, on that side of civfanatics subforums.

Also for future ideas about strategy discussion in next episode, please discuss isolated starts for normal civs (not polynesia). Also semi-isolated starts, where you kill your only other neighbor, and then become isolated until astronomy.

Map focus is continents, and continents plus, with standard or quick speed. Difficulty, king or above, or whatever you want.

Topic suggestion noted, Laurwin -- thank you for it.

I really loved the guest co-host this week... fits with the cast personality wise, and is generally very entertaining to listen to. Try and get him to come back more if you can!
When asked, TPangolin told myself and my fellow regular co-hosts that he would consider making a return appearance on the show. We hope that this will come to pass. :)

He chimes in with the discussion with MadDjinn
Just MadDjinn? :p

When asked, TPangolin told myself and my fellow regular co-hosts that he would consider making a return appearance on the show. We hope that this will come to pass. :)

Available whenever - so let me know!

Just now listening to this specific episode. I'm pretty sure I had specifically tested that Indonesia's Restless promo does stack with Blitz, but I don't remember for sure.

Has anyone actually verified this? I can try verifying it, but the random nature of the Kris promotions makes it kind of a pain...

Just now listening to this specific episode. I'm pretty sure I had specifically tested that Indonesia's Restless promo does stack with Blitz, but I don't remember for sure.

Has anyone actually verified this? I can try verifying it, but the random nature of the Kris promotions makes it kind of a pain...

As I recall, the issue isn't that they don't stack (they do) but your max movement points are so low it would never be able to use both. *

* This unit can be granted by a city state and could have the promotion as well. In this case if you are playing Persia and granted one you'll have enough MP to use both promotions during Golden Ages. In addition if you are playing Denmark and granted one, you can use both promotions if the unit started the turn embarked in the ocean after Astronomy.

EDIT: I seem to have misremembered Restlessness. (See below) Disregard.

As I recall, the issue isn't that they don't stack (they do) but your max movement points are so low it would never be able to use both. *

* This unit can be granted by a city state and could have the promotion as well. In this case if you are playing Persia and granted one you'll have enough MP to use both promotions during Golden Ages. In addition if you are playing Denmark and granted one, you can use both promotions if the unit started the turn embarked in the ocean after Astronomy.

Eventually, Kris Swordsmen will upgrade to Mech Infantry which have 3 movement.

EDIT: After reading Maegbearfan's post below, disregard this. I was going by joncnunn's assumption that Restlessness granted an extra attack.

The Restlessness promotion grants an extra movement point.

Top Bottom